Thinking of getting a mech mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuy

Verified Member
Sep 9, 2016
Arizona
Greetings everyone, once more I have come to ask for advice, I have been using my vamo 7 and alien mod 220, both of them are nice but I don't seem to be getting enough clouds especially from my alien mod, I have the baby beast tank, the avocado 24, the lemo 3 and a kayfun 5 clone and I am using 70 vg 30 pg e-juice, so I went to a vape shop near me and they told me that I should get a mech mod that will give me more clouds, after reading and learning here and there I think I will be OK if I get one mech mod and build coils ranging from . 3 up to. 5 ohms, and use the batteries that I have they are awt 3500 the red ones rated at 35 amps, so any help would be very appreciated.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
You'll definitely get higher output (= more clouds) from a high wattage regulated mod. And don't get rewrapped batteries, stick to authentic Sony, Samsung, and LG batteries from a trusted seller. There are no 18650s rated for more than 30 amps, and no 18650s rated above 20 amps with more than 3000 mAh.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Greetings everyone, once more I have come to ask for advice, I have been using my vamo 7 and alien mod 220, both of them are nice but I don't seem to be getting enough clouds especially from my alien mod, I have the baby beast tank, the avocado 24, the lemo 3 and a kayfun 5 clone and I am using 70 vg 30 pg e-juice, so I went to a vape shop near me and they told me that I should get a mech mod that will give me more clouds, after reading and learning here and there I think I will be OK if I get one mech mod and build coils ranging from . 3 up to. 5 ohms, and use the batteries that I have they are awt 3500 the red ones rated at 35 amps, so any help would be very appreciated.
If you want the biggest clouds the right regulated mods will blow away mechs without blowing you away, assuming you are using the recommended battery for the mod. If you are trying to max things out don't cut corners. You don't want us hearing about you on the 6 oclock news.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Ignore what the guy in the shop has said.
Get a better battery/s
Get an RDA and work on your wicking, coiling and airflow. If you can't fog out a room with 150+ watts then you are doing something fundamentally wrong. Don't take the Alien over 120 watts with a 20 amp battery, or 180 watts with a 30 amp battery. It's just not safe.

2Gvqu9B.jpg

Chuy

Verified Member
Sep 9, 2016
Arizona
Ignore what the guy in the shop has said.
Get a better battery/s
Get an RDA and work on your wicking, coiling and airflow. If you can't fog out a room with 150+ watts then you are doing something fundamentally wrong. Don't take the Alien over 120 watts with a 20 amp battery, or 180 watts with a 30 amp battery. It's just not safe.

2Gvqu9B.jpg
Thank you sonicbomb, your answer makes much sense, right to the point

TheLawbird

Oct 19, 2016
I'm just here to reiterate whats already been said. Keep in mind I'm still relatively new to this, so take my advice with a grain of salt, unless someone else can verify what I'm saying.

Don't waste your money on a mech, unless you really want one for other reasons aside from makingore clouds.
180 watts is 180 watts no matter how you go about getting it (in a safe fashion)
A mech and regulate device both putting out 180 watts should yield the same results if you put the same tank on both. The only difference may be the ramp up time.
Your money is better off going towards better quality batteries, and maybe a better Rba designed with clouds in mind. Your builds will probably be the biggest factor in whether you are getting the results you want.
Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Chuy

Verified Member
Sep 9, 2016
Arizona
Thanks everyone for their input, I didn't know about the batteries I just got what the sales person recommended when I got the alien mod 220, he told me that those were the ones that he was using and I bought 8 of them ( awt 3500 mah red ones ) but now I am thinking of getting the lg's 30 amps since mister mooch has them rated at 30 amps, now I see there are 3 different types, so wich ones should I buy?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Let's do the math. Let's say you've got a mech mod and using an RBA with a resistance of 0.1 ohms. The highest amp batteries available have 30A continuous.

Using an Ohms Law Calculator, you'll be getting 176.4 watts power but you're also drawing 42 amps of current from the battery; that's 12 amps over the amp rating for the very best batteries available, so you're really pushing over the safe amp limit of the battery. Being that a mechanical mod has no protection circuitry, you are at risk for venting the battery and exploding your mod.

Sure you could do that (and many cloud chasers do), but that doesn't mean you should. That shop just wants to make some money by selling you a mech mod, but are they going to pay your hospital bill if you blow your face off?

christmas-story-vape-jpg.599167
full

If using 0.3 ohm coils with the same setup, you'll be drawing 14 amps from the battery but only getting 58.8 watts.

Because a regulated mod uses electrical boost circuity, you can get more usable power to fire your coils than a mech mod and do it more safely because it has protection circuitry built in. Protection circuitry will prohibit the mod from firing if you are trying to go over the amp limit of the battery or if your coil resistance is deemed too low for safety purposes. The only protection you get with a mech is what's between your ears, so you better know what you are doing.

You can get the same watts from either a mech or regulated mod, but they both have their limits. Its easier and safer to get the power you need from the regulated mod, so why bother with the mech?

Getting the most vapor production from your setup involves adequate atomizer airflow, high lung capacity, adequate wicking, maximized coil surface area, high vg e-liquid, as well as adequate power. Using a mech over a regulated mod is not the best way to get more clouds.

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.
Information Resources for Your First RBA
  • An essential read and referrance guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Chuy

Verified Member
Sep 9, 2016
Arizona
Let's do the math. Let's say you've got a mech mod and using an RBA with a resistance of 0.1 ohms. The highest amp batteries available have 30A continuous.

Using an Ohms Law Calculator, you'll be getting 176.4 watts power but you're also drawing 42 amps of current from the battery; that's 12 amps over the amp rating for the very best batteries available, so you're really pushing over the safe amp limit of the battery. Being that a mechanical mod has no protection circuitry, you are at risk for venting the battery and exploding your mod.

Sure you could do that (and many cloud chasers do), but that doesn't mean you should. That shop just wants to make some money by selling you a mech mod, but are they going to pay your hospital bill if you blow off your face?

christmas-story-vape-jpg.599167
full

If using 0.3 ohm coils, you'll be drawing 14 amps from the battery but only getting 58.8 watts.

Because a regulated mod uses electrical boost circuity, you can get more usable power to fire your coils than a mech mod and do it more safely because it has protection circuitry built in. Protection circuitry will prohibit the mod from firing if you are trying to go over the amp limit of the battery or if your coil resistance is deemed too low for safety purposes. The only protection you get with a mech is what's between your ears, so you better know what you are doing.

You can get the same watts from either a mech or regulated mod, but they both have their limits. Its easier and safer to get the power you need from the regulated mod, so why bother with the mech?

Getting the most vapor production from your setup involves adequate atomizer airflow, high lung capacity, adequate wicking, maximized coil surface area, high vg e-liquid, as well as adequate power. Using a mech over a regulated mod is not the way to get more clouds.

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.
Information Resources for Your First RBA
  • An essential read and referrance guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.
Thank you Baditude for all the info and explanations you just gave to me, reading all this information it seems that I am no completely ready to jump to the dark side of mech mods, so I will stay right where I am at this point and get better batteries, looking at the noisy cricket it seems that it will be my next gift [emoji2]

Chuy

Verified Member
Sep 9, 2016
Arizona

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Thank you Baditude for all the info and explanations you just gave to me, reading all this information it seems that I am no completely ready to jump to the dark side of mech mods, so I will stay right where I am at this point and get better batteries, looking at the noisy cricket it seems that it will be my next gift [emoji2]
Noisy cricket v1? That's a series mech with a pinless connector. Definitely not recommended as a first mech.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Well I got to say, I am loving my new eVic VTwo Mini with a lemo 3, with a coil build of .7 you guys were right I don't need a mechanical mod, this thing packs a punch [emoji4][emoji4]
You let these guys talk you out of getting a mech mod o_O
I say, try a mech mod, you'll never know if ya like it, unless ya try it :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread