This darn Provari just WILL NOT DIE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
I bought my Provari Mini in November of 2012. My wife and I have used it pretty much continually since then. It has been dropped, kicked, sat on, drowned, lost, found, and generally tortured. At 2.5 years old, it looks pretty beaten up. The coating is worn thru in many areas. But tonite, I thought I had finally done her in.

A tumble off the kitchen counter onto the tile floor, aided by a heavy kayfun Lite on top, popped the top cap out (once again, not the 1st time) and this time, it dragged the guts with it. No biggie, it's a Provari. I looked at how it slides in, and I put the button in the hole and slid the board back in and beat the top back on. It wasn't working. Darn.

So then I pulled it back out, and realized that when I slid it in, I had sheared the little rubber button on the PCB switch off when it tried to slide onto the clear plastic push button. I got out my visor magnifier, and saw it was part of a membrane and it had ripped right off. I tried several things, none that worked. I gave it up for dead but I couldn't put it in the trash.

Picturing the tattered little edges around the edge of that rubber button, an idea came to mind. Super Glue. I put a thin ribbon of super glue around the edge of the hole that the rubber button had covered, and carefully set the rubber button in place. I gave it a half hour to make sure it was dry. Then I put a little VG on the back side of the clear plastic button to help the rubber slide, put the plastic button in the hole, tipped it ever so slight downward so as to not catch the edge of the rubber button on the PCB, and slid it back in.

Pounded the top cap back in. Put a battery in her, and as I was screwing the cap on, saw that blue pulse of heartbeat. Screwed the KFL back on her,and shazaam. Warm creamy gobs O vapor. Something, somehow is going to finally do her in. But not today.

LouisLeBeau

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
AND if it didn't work ......... send it in for a button transplant.
I'm not sure they could (or would) do a repair like that. It's board level, and would require un-soldering the old switch, and soldering a new one. For the cost, it would probably make more sense to get a new Provari.

Well done Louis! I liked your post so much, I read it twice!:wub:
THAT, sugar, is a supreme compliment. Thanks for your generous words.

Reactions: DPLongo22

TFL!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Chatfield, MN, USA
I'm not sure they could (or would) do a repair like that. It's board level, and would require un-soldering the old switch, and soldering a new one. For the cost, it would probably make more sense to get a new Provari.

From Standard Service Repair Costs : ProVape Inc.
Standard Service Repair Costs

Replace Window and screws- $14.00
Replace Electronic Assembly (Circuit Board / Top Cap) - $70.00
Upgrade to V2 - $20.00
Replace plastic pushbutton - $10.00
Repairs to the circuit board - $25.00
Cleaning - $20.00
Replace top cap - $15.00
Broken Cartomizer Service - $10.00

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014

THAT, sugar, is a supreme compliment. Thanks for your generous words.

They would just replace the board. I think it's $60.00 or so.

It's totally worth doing.

Whoops! Beat me to it.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
I bought my Provari Mini in November of 2012. My wife and I have used it pretty much continually since then. It has been dropped, kicked, sat on, drowned, lost, found, and generally tortured. At 2.5 years old, it looks pretty beaten up. The coating is worn thru in many areas. But tonite, I thought I had finally done her in.

A tumble off the kitchen counter onto the tile floor, aided by a heavy Kayfun Lite on top, popped the top cap out (once again, not the 1st time) and this time, it dragged the guts with it. No biggie, it's a Provari. I looked at how it slides in, and I put the button in the hole and slid the board back in and beat the top back on. It wasn't working. Darn.

So then I pulled it back out, and realized that when I slid it in, I had sheared the little rubber button on the PCB switch off when it tried to slide onto the clear plastic push button. I got out my visor magnifier, and saw it was part of a membrane and it had ripped right off. I tried several things, none that worked. I gave it up for dead but I couldn't put it in the trash.

Picturing the tattered little edges around the edge of that rubber button, an idea came to mind. Super Glue. I put a thin ribbon of super glue around the edge of the hole that the rubber button had covered, and carefully set the rubber button in place. I gave it a half hour to make sure it was dry. Then I put a little VG on the back side of the clear plastic button to help the rubber slide, put the plastic button in the hole, tipped it ever so slight downward so as to not catch the edge of the rubber button on the PCB, and slid it back in.

Pounded the top cap back in. Put a battery in her, and as I was screwing the cap on, saw that blue pulse of heartbeat. Screwed the KFL back on her,and shazaam. Warm creamy gobs O vapor. Something, somehow is going to finally do her in. But not today.

Please move it to the drawer marked "Obsolete long ago"

LouisLeBeau

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
aa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread