This poll is for former smokers who quit with the help of e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

madda

No Butts about me
Oct 30, 2015
Australia
Heavy smoker for 50 yrs ... first tried eciggies in 2009, didn't help at all, I was dual using all day, also did the Zyban, Champix, nic inhaler, patches, gum, quitline palaver ,,, all useless, so just carried on smoking , a couple of years ago I tried an ego w/Stardust clearo and haven't had a smoke since
So yes, vaping does work as a healthier alternative and should be made available without restriction for those who wish for a healthier lifestyle ... particularly for those who were actually encouraged to start smoking by the government thru' allowing unrestricted advertising of tobacco products showing images of beautiful women puffing on Chesterfields and The Marlboro Man etc. etc.

Shameless

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2015
Waterford, Mi
I smoked since I was 12. 33 years (dont do the math, lol). For 25 of them I smoked a pack a day then the last 8 I went up to 2 packs a day.

I tried a few different things to quit - none of them really worked.

I decided to try ecigs, I wasn't set on quitting smoking (I liked to smoke), but I thought I'd try it (not the best mind set to quit, I will admit).

After I got my first ecig, within a week, I didnt even want a cigarette anymore. They tasted icky compared to the yummy fruity e-juices.

It's actually been easy to quit so far (a little over a month off cigarettes). I wasn't even set on quitting and BAM, I did. And it was easy. I am actually amazed at how easy vaping has made it to get off cigarettes.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The day I started vaping my daily cigs declined from 25 to 5 with no effort. I was a dual user for the next six weeks to get used to vaping then I went to zero cigs and that was it. A brother of mine was a dual user for 9 months before he finally stopped smoking. If you don't stop vaping you will eventually stop smoking.

Reactions: steam heat

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I took this poll a long time ago, but vaping is still working terrifically well to keep me very happily smoke-free; it will be seventeen months on xmas day. :) And I've decreased my nic level by 50% over the past, hmm, how long has it been... 9 months-ish, starting when I first got an Achilles and had to drop from 10mg to 9mg just so the TH didn't knock me against the wall. :D Since then it's come down slowly to 5mg, and I really haven't even noticed, except the TH is lighter; I don't mind that as much as I thought I would, because too much TH makes me cough, and I seem more sensitive to that effect than I used to be.

:headbang::vapor::banana:

Andria

fitzinthewindow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2015
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I am 7 weeks into vaping. I am still not completely off of cigarettes, although my analog consumption is down below an average of 1 cigarette a day. I smoked Marlboro Red's for 50 years, and have tried to quit several times in the past, sometimes with reasonable success. Once I made it 5 years without a cigarette. The problem in the past has always been that the longer I am away from cigarettes, the better and better and better they begin to smell. So, of course, thinking of myself as a mature intelligent person, I can "have one." Well you all know the story--one leads to two leads to four leads to a pack--then you're smoking again. Vaping, however, has made this whole experience quite different. Cigarettes now smell and taste like crap! How wonderful! This is brand new to me. Why I am still having an occasional cigarette I have no clue. I am trying to listen to the advice that I've received from a lot of vapers: don't worry about it, don't feel guilty, don't beat yourself up, just celebrate how many cigarettes you are NOT smoking, and eventually, those cravings will subside and you won't want them at all. The good thing is that now cigarettes are quite unpleasant, smell like crap, don't taste good at all, and leave an odor on my body and my clothes that I don't care for. I am enjoying my lungs being clearer, my teeth being whiter, my car smelling better, and my loved ones being happier. I am pretty confident that one day it will happen--I just won't want another analog cigarette. In the meantime, I am not going to make myself feel guilty when I do have one, but rather celebrate the fact that I smoke so little.

I have been vaping mostly 9 and 12 mg eliquid. I also have several flavors of 6 mg. I have been feeling a little guilty about my "high" nic content, and sometimes even a little embarrassed to ask for 12 mg at the vape store. But, the more I read here on ECF, the more I realize that there are a LOT of vapers who not only do 12 mg, but 18mg and even 24mg! There are some folks who have been doing 24mg for 2-3 years! I am going to keep some higher nic juice around to use when I am really craving--maybe it will help, and maybe I won't feel so guilty. This is all quite a journey.

Last edited:

Chris Dragan

Jan 18, 2016
Hi! I used to smoke for about 10 years, and i was quickly getting tired, and every single morning was a disaster, with my nose blocked and my mouth dry, because of the cigar smoke.
Accidentally i passed by a ecig shop in my city, stopped, and started asking the lady at the counter some questions. I left home with a starter kit, and the first impression was not that good...but after 2-3 days of vaping, i started to sense the difference, and realised that i didn't had a single cigarette in that time. None. Zero. It was a big thing to me, and i went back to the store, i bought some liquids and a better kit, and it's been 5 months since i haven't had a cigarette. And it feels awesome. Especially now, since i use a istick TC40, and a nautilus mini, things improved. Better vaping experience, and more prowdness every day that passes without the need for tobacco. E-cigs really really helped me. I hope it will help more and more people. If a tobacco smoker reads this, and has doubts about going to the vaping side...don't! Just buy one, and whenever you feel the need to smoke, use the ecig. It really helps!

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
I have not yet quit traditional smoking 100%. There are still certain activities, eating, using the restroom, etc. For which I need a cigarette. I'm working to quit these particular habits.

So far though, I've gone from two packs a day, (100's) to 5 cigarettes a day. Definitely an improvement.

steam heat

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
YES! vaping has definitely helped me quit smoking. I tried vaping in the past( with a evod) but could not fully ditch cigarettes so I kinda gave up and went back to cigs full time.....then 7 weeks ago I woke up and knew I wanted to quit (outta the blue) so I went to a local vape shop where I bought a subox mini, I now realize that vapor production is key for me. Needless to say I walked out vaping and the last CIG I smoked was that day on the drive to the vape shop.....now its 7 weeks later I have a ton of vape gear and have passed that subox down to my wife and she is on week two with out smoking .....in conclusion yes it works to help quit smoking but you have to want it to work

Smoking for 20 years.... To be honest. I never tried patches or gum or all that jazz. I didn't like the idea of giving a truck load of money to drug companies. Wasn't really any good affordable option imo. My logic was that if they really wanted us to quit it wouldn't cost more than smoking lol. As it was, smoking was a big money pit. I didn't feel like increasing the money pit. So I just tried quitting many times cold. Never worked well. I think 24 hours was longest I managed to go lol. I'd literally run out at 3am if I had too.

Anyway My best friend was vaping for about a year, and let me use one of his spare machines, to see if I even liked it. I quit that day. 2-3 days later bought my own machine. At first I didn't really enjoy it all that much because my technique for vaping was flawed, but it was keeping me away from ciggs so it was worth it.

I knew going in that the throat hit was really important to me. So I picked the right stuff for that out of the gate. :)

I did have some minor cravings for about 2 weeks. From my own cold quitting experience, those cravings were reduced by about 70% ! In other words I didn't find it hard to quit at all, but I think part of that is, I was mentally prepared to quit. Which I think plays a much bigger role than we probably care to admit.

I ran out of juice once, and slipped up about a month later. I had maybe 10 smokes. Since than I haven't touched a cig, I find them disgusting also. Just the smell of them makes me sick. Its funny as a smoker, it was enjoyable haha. I have no desire to go back to that. :) So vaping worked for me.

Most important thing I think is I don't treat myself like I'm cured and will never touch another cig. I don't know that. I know it is very easy to go back. So while I don't feel at all like having any. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't. So at this time. I'm still keeping my mind focused on staying away from smoking. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread