Thought I Broke My Nautilus (Informational)

Discussion in 'Clearomizers' started by Trypno, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Trypno

Trypno Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

So today I dropped my mod out of my pocket for the second day in a row. Yesterday I dropped my ProVari a good distance and bounced it off a rock, walked away with a missing window and a mod that still works perfectly. However I noticed my nautilus acting up a bit. My airflow control was sitting a little low, and my coils wouldn't push the connector pin all the way out.

Today I dropped my mod again, just to the floor, but it was enough to split the Nautilus apart. With horror, I though that maybe I had stripped the threads off the tank, as has happened to me before with an MVP and a Protank. I picked the tank back up and found out what happened.

The very bottom of the tank, below the airflow control, where the connector goes in, is actually a cap that connects to the rest of the base hardware. It's a small cap, only containing the connector pin and spring. When the cap is in place, the spring makes contact with the bottom of the coil and causes your contact pin to extend. With the cap off, you can see the bottom of the coil. The connector pin makes contact with the battery, passes current through the spring that goes up through the bottom cap, where it makes contact with the coil.

The cap wouldn't go back on by hand, so I used my knife as a hammer and forced it down as far as I could, it should go all the way back on. I threw it back on my mod, checked the resistance, then fired it up. Tank works flawlessly again.

So in summary, if the bottom cap splits from the base hardware of your Nautilus take heart, as long as the connector pin is still there, you can put that cap back on and keep vaping.

2. Katmar

Katmar Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Thanks for sharing. That's good to know. Most folks would probably pitch it and be out the bucks!!!! Good job.

3. Trypno

I thought for sure that something horrible and irreparable had happened. Glad to have found this out, and I hope it helps someone in the future if they experience this.

4. PirateHooligan86

PirateHooligan86 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yep, that's basically what I did, bought a new one, -sigh-. Good to know though; also good that I'm a pack-rat when it comes to potential spare parts, now I have a back-up that works again, ha ha! :)

Thank you Trypno, I am both happy and sad that you dropped your mod so frequently to discover this. ;)

5. Trypno

Trial and Error is exactly that ;) lol

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Mr. Awesome Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    It's happened to my Nautlius a couple of different times. I just put the base on the flat edge of my marble counter top and push down hard. Goes right into place.

7. Trypno

Someone pointed out that it might be beneficial to warn people not to hammer on the actual 510 connection, but around the edge of the base cap because you could screw up your threads. So here I am warning people.

8. Trypno

*bump* 10char

9. 67Tele

67Tele Ultra Member Verified Member

Supporting member
    Thanks for this Trypno. I busted my full-size nautilus head Saturday night at the same point except it broke the coil too so I have a coil base flush with the bottom cap. I think I also screwed up my Sigelei 20W but, I'll start a thread on that.

Thanks again.

10. SMHOZZ83

SMHOZZ83 Full Member

This has happend to Nautilus. :(
    image.jpg

11. Trypno

I'll have to take my Nautilus apart tomorrow to check, but looks like it could be an easy fix SMH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.