Thoughts on this Version 3 rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm not saying that technology innovation will eliminate the need to turn it up or turn it down. What I'm saying, is VW simplified the whole equation to a novice. With VV, you have to understand ohms and how applied voltage leads to power output. Most novices will think "well, 3.7 volts is 3.7 volts." They don't understand that the REAL output is actually the power/watts, and that volts means very little without factoring resistance. With VW, that whole thing is simplified, you simply set the power output, which is the end goal to begin with. The device monitors resistance, and adjusts voltage accordingly. So a novice won't get themselves into trouble or wonder why a device is performing differently when they go unknowingly go from a 2.8 ohm load to a 1.5 ohm load.

LIke I said, a novice to vaping and electronics doesn't know what ohms law is. I sure as hell didn't understand everything when I started vaping several years ago. And my girlfriend who was also new had a hard time wrapping her head around "lower ohm lower voltage, higher ohm higher voltage"

Its very easy for us veterans to look at vaping from our own point of view and say "its easy, you just turn it up or down according to taste." Its MUCH more daunting to a person who's never even SEEN a mod before, and only knows vaping by the cigalikes. When I started vaping, everything was very overwhelming and it was hard to find a starting point.

And I agree, juice delivery is probably the biggest obstacle and the next area for reinvention. We're starting to see some interesting experiments in this, with that Indiegogo campaign for the Evoke product which uses induction heating instead of the typical resistance wire. However, I think it will be hard to top the performance and reliability of the current wick/resistance wire method. The induction heating didn't seem to be as instantaneous, and it seems like it will be more difficult to design a tank system as reliable and well-performing as the current tanks. I'm sure somebody will eventually crack the code and design a juice delivery system that is better, but I think we're still a ways off from that.

You completely disregarded my post in regards to my belief that Novices won't need to, or won't even bother doing the math to figure out the wattage in relation to the resistance of the coil based on their voltage. They are just going to adjust up or down depending on taste, as I believe most mod users do anyway, whether it's variable wattage, or voltage.

Even if you use wattage exclusively, you're still most likely going up or down a little depending on your taste.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
No offense, but you were probably the type of person who would have said "MSDOS can do everything Macintosh/Windows can do, I don't need a mouse and fancy little icons to use a computer." Believe me, there were a lot of traditionalists when the PC world moved from command line to graphical user interface who decried the change calling it a gimmick. Turned out to be the most significant step the computer industry ever took, and opened up computing to the masses.

One important thing you aren't considering when you discount innovations like VW or Evolv's supposed temp board, is accessibility. YOU may be an expert in fine tuning your Provari to particular voltages with particular resistances. But a novice doesn't have a clue what any of these things mean. VW made that much more accessible, and temp control has the potential to make it even more accessible. Technology is supposed to make things easier and reduce to cognitive overhead. When technology can get out of the way and allow someone to just accomplish what they want to accomplish without mastering intricate details, that's called progress.
I loved windows 3.1, and missed it until Windows XP and Windows 7. DOS was a headache, and the only thing I missed about it was the games I had for it.

I vape to taste, and the ten or so people I've introduced to the ProVari not only picked up the menu functions in less than a minute, they mastered vaping to taste in about 30 seconds. It's not as complicated as people make it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread