Throat shutdown whilst vaping, advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara clay

Aug 18, 2017
hi, I'm new to vaping, been a smoker for 30yrs, yesterday whilst vaping (my second day starting) my throat seemed to shutdown after I inhaled. I mean completely not able to draw breath through my nose or mouth for around a minute. In my panic I began trying to leave my home to get help, that's when my ability to breath returned. This was very scary I thought I was dying, when my partner came home I tried to vape again and the same thing happened sending him into a panic. I don't want to give up trying to vape because I know I'll just carry on smoking. Can anybody suggest what's happening, how I might stop it or has it happened to anyone else? Thank you

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
You don't give any info to give much of a response.

For a start;
Power & delivery device used?
Resistance of coil or head?
Airflow wide open or restricted?
Pg/Vg ratio of liquids used?
Nic mg/ml?
MTL or DTL inhale?
Brand of e liquid?
Flavor / flavorings?
Do you have any medical conditions / asthma / copd etc...?

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've experienced similar a couple weeks in vaping. For me it was more tight closing down chest asthma attack needing to use inhaler. Going low VG seems to help for me. Currently vaping custom blended 70pg/30vg and another batch started using a couple days ago 60pg/40vg tested my vg tolerance limit.

OTOH I've read of other ppl who had to go high vg... I tried a max vg first and made it worse for me so then went 85pg. Mucho better but very thin vape so adding vg back as I can.

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Vaping is far better than smoking BUT still putting crap in our lungs! Good chance you are having a allergic asthmatic reaction to some ingredient. All I know to do is try different juices trying very high pg versus very high vg, though could also be the flavoring.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
If your symptoms are as severe as you first stated, best to get the advice of medical professionals.
Can't take a breath after a few vapes is a severe reaction to something, without knowing every detail of what you're using & your medical history all we can do is guess.
Breathing is kind of important, best not to experiment trying different things if it could cause you to not be able to breathe.

Some folks have a reaction to PG or VG some to certain flavorings some to too much nicotine, some to the type of wire used for the coil and or any of the dozens of variables.
Some folks just can't vape at all, rare but some folks.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
It's all old fashioned high PG liquid intended for low power equipment from 2014.

11mg/18mg at 18-23 watts (0.6ohm coil) is not the ideal way to start vaping.

Try some 6mg higher VG liquid, maybe.

- -

Speaking honestly and personally, I never even got to 10w by the end of year one. That's how difficult I found it to acclimatize.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
The thing is I'm now to flipping scared to try again lol

Sara. My wife cannot vape other than a few vapes here and there a few times a day. She has experienced (at times) what you have and I am extra careful to balance the power (watts) and strength of her liquid.
Basically, I fear you are onto a possible loser with a Subohm device and cheap 'n' cheerful PG liquid.

Have you got a Totally Wicked or Independent vaping store in your home town? You would do well to get those watts down, increase the VG and lower the nicotine strength.

Please don't give up though. Please. :)

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Thank you all for you're advice I'll put the vaping on hold till I've seen my GP.

Good call. When you get cleared by your doctor, you might consider experimenting with VG/PG levels, flavours (especially the menthol) and vaping style. I get asthma symptoms from high VG, certain flavours and DTL. The good news is that now I know what to avoid, switching to vaping has improved my lung function overall.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sara,

If you have asthma, I am very glad that you are going to see your GP about this. I don't think it's time to give up vaping yet, but IF you are cleared to do so by your doc, may I suggest the following:

Different liquid delivery (I use MTL started with a Nautilus 2 tank which I was very pleased with, at loooow watts, like 7 or 8, with higher nic liquid.

I have asthma and various bronchial issues.... I was headed toward another pneumonia and decided to vape more and smoke less, and actually got worse. For me, it's PG that I'm sensitive to, but that may not be the case for you. I doubt that nicotine is your problem since you can smoke cigarettes, so going higher on nic is unlikely to cause these effects.

I would buy a small bottle of pure VG and nic (make sure the store can use a VG base for nic, if you are purchasing it) and a small bottle of PG and nic (same thing with the base). I'd start with the VG just because I'd think vaping PURE PG is going to be tough, but you can try it. AND ONLY if your doc clears you to do this, maybe with a rescue inhaler and/or nebulizer handy in case you get that bad reaction. Then try the VG, to see what that does. If neither causes problems, you know that 3 ingredients in your juice are safe/fine for you to use (or not! In which case you will be somewhat limited in your options/blends, but many people can make it work using greater or lesser percentages of one or the other. I stick to VG because I can make that work.

That leaves flavorings, which, given that the average employee in a vape store isn't going to be able to tell you every ingredient they use in every flavor.... Unless you get a quality vendor who might work with you on flavorings, you have the option of DIY-- I'd start with ONE flavor that you think you might like, and gradually and gently increase the percentage, and find a range of flavors that you can live with/enjoy.

I sympathize, I do have some allergies and sensitivities. Nothing like my kid though, and watching him gasp for air wasn't fun....

I do wonder if you could do allergy testing with an allergist on e-juice components and various flavors like they do with other things (pollens, etc.) and if that may be a definitive way to find out what you are allergic to without the "gasp for air" effect. I can't imagine it WOULDN'T be possible, and that might be a safer way to find out if you can a) find a doc and allergist who would go for that b) be up for possible cost, testing my son for allergies and treating them was NOT INEXPENSIVE but it greatly improved his quality of life, and I'm glad I did it (he was allergic to 19 things! 19 that he encountered daily!) and he hasn't used an inhaler since I can recall, once we completed his allergy regimen he didn't have any more symptoms at all, of course the process took 5 years and a LOT of prep for vacations, etc.

Okay. I'm going to stop. TL:DR-- if you isolate ingredients/consult with doc/allergist, I believe you can make vaping work for you. I wouldn't use a sub0hm device, either. Doing all this has GOT to be safer than smoking, which is why I bothered to type all this out, especially if you have asthma. It may be more expensive and a pain at first, but I believe overall it will end up being worth it.

Take care and be safe!

Anna

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
What you experienced is called a laryngospasm. I had this happen once and it was terrifying, I really thought I was going to die. Look up laryngospasm; there's a lot of information about it. It's usually caused by Gerd (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) but that doesn't seem to be your problem. You probably shouldn't vape until you see your doctor and find out what's going on. I would not chance having that happen again.

Last edited:

sara clay

Aug 18, 2017
What you experienced is called a laryngospasm. I had this happen once and it was terrifying, I really thought I was going to die. Look up laryngospasm; there's a lot of information about it. It's usually caused by Gerd (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) but that doesn't seem to be your problem. You probably shouldn't vape until you see your doctor and find out what's going on. I would not chance having that happen again.
Thank you so much!!! I knew it was something, and I'm glad you put a name to it, I will see my GP very soon thank you

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
Thank you so much!!! I knew it was something, and I'm glad you put a name to it, I will see my GP very soon thank you
You're very welcome. When I read your post I knew exactly what had happened if not why. I was asleep when it happened to me, so you can imagine what a wake up call that was. In case anyone is wondering when we say "I thought I was going to die" it's not a figure of speech or hyperbole. It really feels like your time on Earth is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread