Status
Not open for further replies.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I recently got an AGA-T R/A and thought I'd give my thoughts about it. I'm not usually a first adopter, but for some reason this device really caught my eye. I'm glad now that I did get one soon as it was available at SVC.
This is definitely the best made Chinese device I've owned. It is all Stainless and the fit and finish is great. I also liked the fact they included some extra parts just in case of damage or loss. I do have to be careful putting the top on so I'm glad I have an extra O-ring in case I damage the one already on the device, but putting a little juice or VG on the O-ring really makes things much easier.
When I first got the device I had to take it completely apart just to see what was there. I was pleasantly surprised with how well everything fit. I put it back together and then debated whether to use the included wick or go right for the stainless mesh wick set up. I decided to go with SS wick and 32 AWG Kanthal resistance wire. At first I was concerned about the distance to the negative post, but then realized that I could use either of the two Phillips head screws for the neg end of the coil. I used the screw closest to the wick hole and am using the other one for filling. There is a slight bend in the wick where I attached it to the pos post. I made a wick roughly 43mm wide by 90mm long. It fits snug, but I did not have to fight to get it in the wick hole. The wick is a little "squishy" and has a small center hole. I do not use the drill bit method to make my coils preferring to directly wrap them right onto the oxidized wick. With this device, there is plenty of room to easily wrap the coil onto the wick. I made a 4/5 coil and it came out to roughly 1.3 ohms. Perfect for me and my Nimbus. Had to fiddle a little with the coil to get rid of two hot spots near the top, but I don't consider two hot spots a problem considering what I've had to deal with in the past. Once I was happy with the coil and wick setup, I put a little VG on the coil and set the Nimbus to 3.2 volts and fired up. Everything worked fine. Did that a couple of times and them removed the other screw and filled the tank. The hole is large enough to use an 18 gauge blunt needle -- nice.
Wow..... right out of the chute it vaped like a charm. The vapor production is great and it heats up quickly. I tend to chain vape and the wick has no trouble keeping up. I also really like being able to see how much juice is in the tank so I know when to refill. It also makes lining up the air hole and wick very simple. I'm vaping at 3.4 - 3.7 volts and it is a nice and cool vape. I may in the future increase the size of the air hole in the top piece, but for now, it's working fine. I'm able to lay the PV on its' side with nary a leak.
Overall, this is the best R/A I have used to date. It is a touch on the heavy side, but I have not found it to be a problem at all. I am careful when picking up the PV and R/A. I usually pick it up by the knurled bottom piece to reduce any strain on the 510 connection on the Nimbus.
I would highly recommend this device to anyone considering a R/A. I especially would recommend it to someone who is somewhat new to R/A's because of the amount of room you have to work with on the head and the number of options you have to install the wick and coil. If you are worried about the size of the larger screw heads, you can always take a Dremel and slightly reduce the diameter of the screw heads. I can envision making a double or "U" wick set up and may give that a go when it's time to change the coil. But, as clean as the coil and wick are staying, that may be a while in the future.
Definitely give this device a good hard look -- it is worth every penny.

Last edited:

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Nice review Horton but no pictures ? ;)
I see on Stormy's update thread this for future things coming in.
2 New Gorgeous Genesis Tanks
Hoping for a all stainless Genesis that has something in the 5ml capacity range with a 1 to 1.2mm airhole that lines up without a gasket .
Guess im old and picky but a heavy vaporer.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Thanks Dieseler...... I don't have a functional camera right now. It would have been nice to put some pics in, but it was not in the cards. I'm not sure what is wrong with mine....worked last time I used it just fine, then last week, would not power up properly even with a freshly charged battery. Go figure......lol.....

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Just messing with ya. ; )
I had my share with Hp camera's as the lens would not come out and or the battery door broke etc etc.
Picked up another this time @auction as i like the pics this cheap camera takes and so far its ok.

Wanting to pull the trigger on the AGA and sand out the knurls and polish the whole thing but i will wait until a higher capacity Genesis comes out.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Well, I can dry my eyes now that I know you were teasing me about the pics. I've been sobbing ever since I read your post....LOL. I have a nice cam, but I don't use it often enough and had the LiOn battery go kaput on me several times. They have to be "exercised" just like the batteries we use in our PV's. I need to keep some kind of reminder log to charge all of my stuff that has LiOn batts. I just lost two drill batts. to the same problem.....lack of use. Those puppies are about $100 a pop to replace..... cheaper to buy a new drill set!!! I'm checking FleaBay for a new camera battery now.
Did you see the pic of the AGA with the knurls removed? I think it was done by a fellow in England who does quite a few reviews and I find him to be very humorous and interesting. He's also very knowledgeable. What he did by removing the knurls looked very nice. I wish I could remember where I did see the pic, I do remember it was from a link here on ECF -- maybe in the modding section???
I'm not sure of the capacity of the new devices Stormy has in the works, but hopefully one will fit the bill for you. If the Pacific Rim mfg's. keep up with the good metal and higher QC, we should be in for a treat of very reasonably priced Genesis type attys and tank attys. May as well include PV's too.
Hope you have a great weekend, Dieseler........

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
I just got a couple from a co-op and I might get blasted here but I think they are pretty much on par with my $100-$150 genesis attie's
kabonk-albums-misc-picture151868-aga-t.jpg

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Well, I can dry my eyes now that I know you were teasing me about the pics. I've been sobbing ever since I read your post....LOL. I have a nice cam, but I don't use it often enough and had the LiOn battery go kaput on me several times. They have to be "exercised" just like the batteries we use in our PV's. I need to keep some kind of reminder log to charge all of my stuff that has LiOn batts. I just lost two drill batts. to the same problem.....lack of use. Those puppies are about $100 a pop to replace..... cheaper to buy a new drill set!!! I'm checking FleaBay for a new camera battery now.
Did you see the pic of the AGA with the knurls removed? I think it was done by a fellow in England who does quite a few reviews and I find him to be very humorous and interesting. He's also very knowledgeable. What he did by removing the knurls looked very nice. I wish I could remember where I did see the pic, I do remember it was from a link here on ECF -- maybe in the modding section???
I'm not sure of the capacity of the new devices Stormy has in the works, but hopefully one will fit the bill for you. If the Pacific Rim mfg's. keep up with the good metal and higher QC, we should be in for a treat of very reasonably priced Genesis type attys and tank attys. May as well include PV's too.
Hope you have a great weekend, Dieseler........
Im also a member @ the UK forum and saw one there where the fella put it on a drill and sanded it down then painted those cap lines black .
It looked very nice .

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Not sure if it's OK to ask this Dieseler, but can you point me toward the UK site you referred to? I'd like to take a peek if possible.
I did like the look of the AGA minus the knurling, but I have very little feeling in my dominant hand and the knurling helps me both feel and hold the device. If it were smooth, I'm concerned I'd drop it and then really be crying....lol I've glued tiny pieces of 220 grit sand paper on some of my PV's so I can then tell I have them in hand without having to look. Sort of a silly thing to do, but have to compensate for what my nerves no longer do for me.

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
My Dual wick setup AGA-t, Polished knurling,spring loaded posostive post with 6mm ss washers,drilled out 3.2mm on top wickhole, drilled 3/4 way up from underneath 3.5mm countersink, extra 0.8mm airhole drilled for second wick, 5/4 30g kanthal on each wick (Total Ohms 0.8Ohms), ss hex head m3 ground screws (One drilled out to 1mm for fill hole.) removed cap oring ( all lines up, not needed).
Just playin with the paps, will probably recoil to higher Ohms for the Zmax in dual 18350mode :)
Sorry for the poor quality pics, but you get the idea,

Mesh rolled for both holes in one, to be cut in two.

8227436638_639ae1b4a1_z.jpg

8227436136_99da123935_z.jpg

Coils ready for wicks.

8226363863_ef2ea15ed1_z.jpg

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
Nice! Wish I could do that! LOL

I used a Boshe battery drill (took a few batteries a mains drill would be easier), a 510-510 connector, a file, wet & dry sandpaper 200-1200 grade, ss mesh and silver polish.
Dismantle the AGAt and remove all loose parts ( ground screws, o-rings,cap & tank, then screw top and bottom back onto center spindle (leave o-rings on the ends of spindle.
Use a 510 to 510 connector to screw AGA_T onto then insert 510 connector into drill chuck and spin up drill to check for 'trueness',
( this will damage the 510-510 connector (3$ big woop!)because you will need to crush it slightly to get a good enough grip in the chuck, and may need to keep tightening it as you go)
Then you can either spin the drill and apply the spinning AGA_T evenly onto very course sand paper or a file, or apply the file or sand paper to the AGA-T.
the task is to remove the knurling to the point where the diamonds are barely visible, without going too deep in any one area,
Then move to a slightly finer grade of sand paper until all visible cross hatching is gone the I repeated with 20grade sandpaper,250grade,400g,800g,1200g, then #270 ss mesh, then cloth and 'Solvro', then clean in detergent , rinse and reassemble. :)
Simple :)

katnbrian

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Louisiana
The atomizer is pretty nice. The wick is a little to far from the center post for my liking but does not really matter. I did a lathe job on mine to get rid of the generic looking knurls and polished it up.
Does or has anyone had a problem with the atomizer not threading on there device? I have a P+ and 2 Legacy`s and it will not thread on the P+ or one of the Legacy`s. The other one it threads right on with no problem. IMG_1313.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread