Time to get a new mod again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infamshxr

Sep 17, 2015
Hello all. I currently have a Cuboid 150w, RX 2/3, and a Predator 228. My Predator already crapped out on me, my Cuboid seems to be on its way out as well, and my RX 2/3 is the only one hanging on for now. Pisses me off to spend the money and have something die in a few months.
So I'm on the hunt again. Now that I've been vaping for awhile, I'm more concerned about reliability with that diamond in the rough rather than the mainstream crap that doesn't last. I never TC, and usually vape around 50-80watts with either my OBS Engine or Vandy Vapes Icon.
Here's what I've compiled so far...
-Smoant Charon
-Voopoo Drag
-Think Vape Finder 167
-Lost Vape Therion 166
-P4Y IPV 8 (I like the look and size)
-sigelei 213 Plus (I like the look and size)

My only worry with the last two is how well they'll hold up. Heard some bad aspects of P4Y lately, and some shady stuff from Sigelei. The form factor is what I like, along with having a YiHi chip in the IPV8. I know everyone will say get the dna, but if I don't have to spend $100+ for something that I can get similar quality from at $50, why bother. Especially considering I just vape in VW and rarely mess with any advanced settings (except on my RX 2/3 with Arctic Fox). So what do you guys recommend? More specifically between the Drag vs Charon and Finder vs Therion. Unless there's a specific reason to get the IPV 8 or Sig 213 Plus That way, I can decide between a cheaper device and a more expensive one.

Thanks for the assistance everyone!

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Between drag box and Charon I'd get the Charon because Smoant makes it and I love my Battlestar which by the way you should also consider because it's been tough as nails for me. The finder and therion I'd get the therion just because it's got more use from vapers so if it has any problems youd be more likely to hear about it. I've been thinking about getting the Charon or drag box also so if you pick one please post your experience with it to help other vapers choose. There isn't a whole lot out about those two. And consider the Smoant Battlestar if you want durable it was brought to my attention by anthonyvapes, a member here, and he does a thorough review even taking it apart so you can see how well it's made. His review is on YouTube or can be found on this forum with some searching.

Infamshxr

Sep 17, 2015
I'm actually getting my wife the Battlestar cuz she likes my RX 2/3. I just don't wanna buy the same mod as her. Hopefully I'll remember to post feedback on what I buy, but I might end up forgetting by the time it arrives and I use it after awhile lol. I even like he Minikin V2, but that touch screen makes me super nervous. Great size tho. Only thing I worry about with the Therion sized mods are whether it's gonna be too big or not. My mod is with me 24/7 and if I'm not at home it's in my pocket, so there's that to consider, I suppose.

Reactions: madstabber

halbgott

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2012
I'm considering going over the hundred dollar amount. I've not had very good luck lately. My lavatube was in use for over 4 years. My kanger 75 w quit after a year. 213 plus crapped out after 1.5 months and now my rx 2/3 started giving me check battery error. I'm praying my tesla keeps up. I can't recommend the 213. Was thinking about how many times the merchandise switches hands from factory to seller and am wondering if the total cost of manufacturing one unit exceeds 5 dollars for the budget brands. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least a year of use if you're dropping 60 dollars for a mod.

Infamshxr

Sep 17, 2015
I'm considering going over the hundred dollar amount. I've not had very good luck lately. My lavatube was in use for over 4 years. My kanger 75 w quit after a year. 213 plus crapped out after 1.5 months and now my rx 2/3 started giving me check battery error. I'm praying my tesla keeps up. I can't recommend the 213. Was thinking about how many times the merchandise switches hands from factory to seller and am wondering if the total cost of manufacturing one unit exceeds 5 dollars for the budget brands. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least a year of use if you're dropping 60 dollars for a mod.

I agree. My Predator is only a few months old. My Cuboid was fine for the longest time until recently. Luckily my RX 2/3 is holding up mostly. If I'm dropping more than $20 on anything, it better hold up for longer than a few months. Gotta give my 2/3 props for hanging on this long I suppose. I guess I'll drop Sigelei off the list. It wasn't a strong want anyways with their shady crap and not using the YiHi chip anymore.

Reactions: halbgott

2GLR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2012
Cedar Rapids
I don't take good care of my mods. So far Lost Vape products have consistently out performed everything else. In your wattage range I would look at the Skar. I love mine and have had no issues with the bottom screw when using efest 26650's. I go through about 15 ml 50/50 juice per charge when running at 60 watts.

Ompa

May 7, 2017
Maine
Hello all. I currently have a Cuboid 150w, RX 2/3, and a Predator 228. My Predator already crapped out on me, my Cuboid seems to be on its way out as well, and my RX 2/3 is the only one hanging on for now. Pisses me off to spend the money and have something die in a few months.
So I'm on the hunt again. Now that I've been vaping for awhile, I'm more concerned about reliability with that diamond in the rough rather than the mainstream crap that doesn't last. I never TC, and usually vape around 50-80watts with either my OBS Engine or Vandy Vapes Icon.
Here's what I've compiled so far...
-Smoant Charon
-Voopoo Drag
-Think Vape Finder 167
-Lost Vape Therion 166
-P4Y IPV 8 (I like the look and size)
-Sigelei 213 Plus (I like the look and size)

My only worry with the last two is how well they'll hold up. Heard some bad aspects of P4Y lately, and some shady stuff from Sigelei. The form factor is what I like, along with having a YiHi chip in the IPV8. I know everyone will say get the DNA, but if I don't have to spend $100+ for something that I can get similar quality from at $50, why bother. Especially considering I just vape in VW and rarely mess with any advanced settings (except on my RX 2/3 with Arctic Fox). So what do you guys recommend? More specifically between the Drag vs Charon and Finder vs Therion. Unless there's a specific reason to get the IPV 8 or Sig 213 Plus That way, I can decide between a cheaper device and a more expensive one.

Thanks for the assistance everyone!

I wouldn't rule out a Tesla 120w Steampunk. It well within your watt ranges and is a SOLID device. It's on the heavy side for sure but that's what makes it solid. I've had 0 issues with mine so far

Reactions: halbgott

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
I've owned Tesla products; 160 tc wood box (dead board 1y), 2, 80w tc (8+ month hard use/retired/alive) I like all their products with only a few problems. I replaced with the ipv5. Only dislike is the weight. Only used evenings and weekends now. I bought a "beater" for work; Yosta livepor 160. It's as heavy as the 2 batteries and the filled tank(-/+$30). Used hard only for 4 months now so jury is still out.
.....I saw nothing and was not there.

Last edited:

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
I seen the yosta. Didn't consider it cuz I never heard of it. I do like the look although it's pretty damn tall lol. Not by much at least tho.

Yosta is almost 1/2inch shorter then Ipv5 and a 1/4 inch smaller in width. All measurements are approximate. Again its a beater....lost, malfunction, not a big loss.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Dang, the first question would be: how?

I have very few mods that have died on me after years... one because the wrap of my battery ripped as I inserted and caused a short (and the battery vented), this fried the board of the mod. One died due to my wife having a massive leak that flooded the mod completely, the insides was just a mess, but still, after cleaning it it still worked for a while. I've had one mod that just started auto-firing and it's been sent for replacement as it's still under warranty.

That said, we have a couple of Predator for a few weeks now, no signs of anything bad.

And no, I will not say get a DNA, I have a Lost Vape Therion and while it a very nice mod, I found that to get the DNA chip to work right, it was a LOT of headaches as it simply was not even close to workable out of the box. Took me days to set it up to an acceptable range (for TC).

Seriously, my favourite mod is still the Eleaf TC100W, which is crazy cheap.. and I've got a few that are a good year old (or more) and still works great.

Why is it my favourite?
  • Crazy inexpensive
  • Solid like a rock, my wife and daughter have dropped theirs so many times that while the paint has ended up all chipped, I've seen worse from other people dropping their other mods a just a few times.
  • Very comfortable in hand
  • Sleak, fits my back pocket very well
  • Squeeze trigger, it's solid, firm, quality, even on my oldest one it's still solid and tight
  • Magnetic doors
  • Parallel mod, one of the very rare mods that is a parallel
  • Thanks to being parallel or just the chip/board, it's extremely efficient . It's my longest lasting mod, easily 30% longer life from all my other dual battery mods that are all series.
  • Easiest mod for settings, 3 button interface, no need to triple click the firing button, etc.
  • 510 connector is rock solid, oldest one is still as new, only one tank had a 510 pin that was too long for it and it wobbled a bit, fixed by putting a easily made rubber "washer" (make by cutting some plumber's thick rubber self-sealing tape)between them.
  • Actual mechanical lock
  • Temp control has been excellent on it
  • Firmware takes it from 100W to 120W
  • Charging via USB has been flawless, I've checked the batteries after months of charging with the mod and they all came out perfectly married
I have multiple mods, and I just keep going back to my TC100Ws.

It's only "flaw", any tank that's over 23mm with have some overhang due to it being very slim.

Infamshxr

Sep 17, 2015
Truthfully, I have no idea what happened to my Predator and Cuboid. Both were working just fine then out of nowhere both Gabe me the atomizer short error (months apart, not like it happened all on the same day lol). No clue as to why, I googled it found out some stuff about the 510 and the board and I guess it's pretty common with joyetech boards. Neither have very good venting, so that could be part of it. Maybe they just got too hot, idk. Either way, I tried a few recommended things to see if I could fix them and nothing worked. So they are currently sitting and looking pretty.
As for the Eleaf, I've heard mixed reviews on Eleaf products which scares me a tad but I have the old Eleaf 30w and it still works fine. But the 100wTc wouldn't work for me, due to the fact my Icon is a 24mm and my Engine is a 25mm. Thanks for the useful review on it tho. I can always recommend it to someone else in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread