Corning, NY, USA
There's a new boss in town:
18911911999_d3c9988506_k.jpg

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
i really like how it can display how many mAh has gone into the battery. helpful for determining battery health. same with the internal resistance checker. very nice. i was going to get the xtar VC4 but now this one looks better to me. once you add in the discharge feature (and the fact that the price on this charger doesnt seem to be much more than the VC4), appears to be a no-brainer. i like the ability to discharge for bringing bats down to 3.6v for long-term storage. but that fan tho lol. gonna have to sort that. sounds wicked loud.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
What's the deal with this puppy Magaro?

From their Amazon listing:
  • BT-C3400 Universal battery charger for Li-ion NiMH NiCd rechargeable batteries. Check your batteries for actual capcity measurement.
  • Features four indepentant channels, like having four chargers in one. Programm each slot individually or all at once. Easy to setup and simple to use.
  • Back lighted LCD display Digitally displays capacity, voltage, time elapsed and current for each battery charging channel.
  • Charge, Discharge, Refresh , Test. Even test internal resistance. This charger does it all with ease.
  • NiMH/NiCd sizes: AAAA, AAA, AA, A, C and SubC. Li-ion sizes: 10440, 14500, 14650, RCR123A (17340), 17500, 17670, 18350, 18500, 18650, 19670 (protected 18650), 25500, 26500, 26650
Features:
For Li-ion (Lithium ion) NiMH or NiCd rechargeable batteries.
Four indepentent channels can be programmed individually or all together.
Charge, discharge, condition or analyze one to four Li-ion, NiMH or NiCd rechargeable batteries.
Back lighted LCD Digitally displays capacity, voltage, time elapsed and current.
Adjustable charging rate from 200 to 2000 mA. (1000 mA max 4 channels)
Five modes of operation for each channel: Charge: Discharge: Discharge Refresh: Charge Test: Quick Test:
Negative delta V (-dV) full charge detection for NiMH/NiCd. CC/CV for Li-ion rechargeable cells.

Specifications:
Adapter Power Supply input: 100 - 240 VAC, 50 -60 Hz.
Adatper Power Supply output: 12Vdc 3.0A.
Charge current: maximum 2000 mA. (1000 mA max all 4 channels)
Maximum discharge current 1000 mA (700 mA for NiMH/NiCd)
Maximum Charging Capacity 20,000 mAh
Operating Temperature: 0 to 40 deg C

Good reviews on the flashlight and R/C sites I visited. Simple user interface. Seems solidly built. Fun to play with while vaping. Pleased so far.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
i really like how it can display how many mAh has gone into the battery. helpful for determining battery health. same with the internal resistance checker. very nice.

I watched the video review KTM posted. The IR test is not accurate. I know there is so little battery resistance you need very good fixturing to get an accurate battery IR number. It may be as the reviewer said, when the IR goes go up over time the number displayed may also increase so you can compare to the baseline, but we don't know that for sure. All the batteries he tried gave him the same resistance which doesn't give me any confidence that it's meaningful.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the charger. Just wanted to point out this feature may not be as helpful as it should be :)

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
I watched the video review KTM posted. The IR test is not accurate. I know there is so little battery resistance you need very good fixturing to get an accurate battery IR number. It may be as the reviewer said, when the IR goes go up over time the number displayed may also increase so you can compare to the baseline, but we don't know that for sure. All the batteries he tried gave him the same resistance which doesn't give me any confidence that it's meaningful.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the charger. Just wanted to point out this feature may not be as helpful as it should be :)

For me, this is an upgrade from an Efest LUC S2, so the bar isn't set real high...

The manual acknowledges that the internal resistance test is quite variable (20% or more), largely due to the low resistance of many batteries and the relatively high and rather variable mechanical contact resistance. Soldering on leads is the proper way to go, but who's gonna do that?

Overall, it seems like a pretty capable little unit.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Very interesting Magaro :)

If the quality is up to par and people can handle the fan noise it's a great tool to have. Thanks for sharing :thumb:

In two evenings, I really haven't noticed the fan noise. Of course I've been trickle charging (500 mA) new batteries and recharging fairly recent batteries which weren't drained too low. And my vape cave isn't the quietest place on earth.

Reactions: Kemosabe

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
In two evenings, I really haven't noticed the fan noise. Of course I've been trickle charging (500 mA) new batteries and recharging fairly recent batteries which weren't drained too low. And my vape cave isn't the quietest place on earth.

You're lucky. I'm in a small bedroom I use as an office. When the window is closed I can hear my dog breathing as she lays beside me, though sometimes she is almost under my chair :unsure:. Gotta love these critters :)

Reactions: Oregon Linda

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
I think the fan is used when discharging cells.
I think the fan is used when discharging cells.

Doh! :facepalm: Well, that should have been obvious if I had half a brain. Which, obviously, I don't.

I'll try to run four old purple Efest bats through a discharge/charge refresh this weekend and see how loud this sucka gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread