Tinidazole Antibiotic and Propylene glycol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicotine

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
China
I have just had a root canal on a tooth and was prescribed Tinidazole Antibiotic tablets.
Being the paranoid person I am with any drug I did a search for known side effects.
Alcohol is the big no no for the first 72 hours after finishing taking the course the other being Propylene glycol

I just thought I would post it just in case anyone else is prescribed these tablets and vapes juice containing Propylene glycol. I did vape and had no issues other than my awful tooth pain but I have posted the link below for anyone interested.:danger: Well slightly.

Tinidazole (Oral Route) Precautions - Mayo Clinic

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Nicotine

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
China
I would guess ingesting primary. But that is not to say that it is not getting into your system by vaping or hand to mouth etc. I have gotten juice in my mouth or over my hands from time to time. Well I am just putting it out there. I did a search before posting and found nothing else on the subject. So in future if someone does they will have a link.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have just had a root canal on a tooth and was prescribed Tinidazole Antibiotic tablets.
Being the paranoid person I am with any drug I did a search for known side effects.
Alcohol is the big no no for the first 72 hours after finishing taking the course the other being Propylene glycol

I just thought I would post it just in case anyone else is prescribed these tablets and vapes juice containing Propylene glycol. I did vape and had no issues other than my awful tooth pain but I have posted the link below for anyone interested.:danger: Well slightly.

Tinidazole (Oral Route) Precautions - Mayo Clinic

This is what it says on the website:

"Drinking alcoholic beverages or using preparations that contain propylene glycol while taking this medicine may cause stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, headache, or flushing or redness of the face. Other alcohol-containing preparations (for example, elixirs, cough syrups, tonics) may also cause problems."

I'm not a medical professional, but FWIW my take is they're referring to ingesting PG, not inhaling it. They also don't mention staying away from things like toothpaste or the many other things we ingest some quantity of which contain PG.

I wouldn't worry about it, but as always YMMV :)

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
I'm kind of curious as to why he's not prescribing you a typical dental antibiotic ..technically Tindamax (tinidazole) is an antiprotozoal and antibacterial compound (ie for the treatment of trichomoniasis and things that would be at the complete other end of your mouth generally)

plus those type of "ole's" tend to have some serious side effects including a bad taste in your mouth I'd have most reported with patients that had taken it..that if your tooth is abscessed and it's not an infection of the mouth from an overgrowth of giardia or something very NON mouth related.

I'd ask him about that..seriously.

Nicotine

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
China
I'm kind of curious as to why he's not prescribing you a typical dental antibiotic ..technically Tindamax (tinidazole) is an antiprotozoal and antibacterial compound (ie for the treatment of trichomoniasis and things that would be at the complete other end of your mouth generally)

plus those type of "ole's" tend to have some serious side effects including a bad taste in your mouth I'd have most reported with patients that had taken it..that if your tooth is abscessed and it's not an infection of the mouth from an overgrowth of giardia or something very NON mouth related.

I'd ask him about that..seriously.

i am currently living in China so I guess they do things a little differently when it comes to antibiotics.
As I have previously stated I saw the contrary indications and I thought it was worth mentioning. The fact that you do not see it as such is well basically of little interest to me unless you happen to be a toxicologist. I am no more bashing PG than I am Alcohol. Edit for addition: he is a she. and she is currently on national Chinese holiday.

Last edited:

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
Hmmm Nicotine..wow..defensive MUCH....not a toxicologist just an RN with a bachelors in science (which includes the study of microbes and what kills them) and have had every tooth in my mouth except for two have had root canals (usually subsequent to an abscess)

but hey..since there's no scientific studies out on the effects of VAPING and those agents..thanks for the "tip":facepalm:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Ummmm.....

What do you use to brush your teeth then?

toothpaste-ingredients3.jpg

Check the Inactive Ingredients on the right.

Nicotine

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
China
Hmmm Nicotine..wow..defensive MUCH....not a toxicologist just an RN with a bachelors in science (which includes the study of microbes and what kills them) and have had every tooth in my mouth except for two have had root canals (usually subsequent to an abscess)

but hey..since there's no scientific studies out on the effects of VAPING and those agents..thanks for the "tip":facepalm:

Defensive lol yeah reading back I sound awful but put that down to tooth pain. And you are welcome.
TX Texas? lived in Waco area for almost eight years. West you might have seen our explosion. Although at this time PG has not been implicated. lol

Reactions: Ryedan

Busted knuckles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
Portland, Oregon.
Just fyi,
I work at a dental implant clinic and we've started noticing a connection between implant failure and vaping.
obviously this is not a scientific study, just an observation, but nicotine use is known to ...... the healing process in the mouth.
Our doctor has started warning against vaping after a procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread