Status
Not open for further replies.

SunnyHours

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Canada
Hey Guys!

I just learned about Snus recently and I'm very interested. I'm vaping 12mg e-liquid right now and it's really the effects that are lacking. Mainly the morning and before bed doses don't wake me up and get me to sleep.
I also like the idea of being able to use everywhere. Also, dips always seemed disgusting to me and those little pouches are really genius hehe

Would anyone have recommendations for a first order of Snus?
Ettan Portion
General Mini Portion
General Mini White Portion
General Wintergreen Portion
Jakobssons Ice-Fruit
Mocca Mint Mini Portion
Skruf Original Portion

Any modifications to make? Add? Remove?
I have to say I've never even tried Snus before and scared of ordering too much/too little.
And being in Canada I'm scared of the customs fees...
While I'm waiting for my WTA, I'd like to purchase some Snus just in case...

Thanks for your responses (and reading my thread)
Also, posting a short summary of your (first) experience(s) with Snus would be awesome!

evilfrog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
portland OR
I recommend General Mint over the Wintergreen. A lot. :)
And I'd get more white portions. It's really up to personal taste...

Maybe add a strong can too.

I've only had General, and I like the mint and white portions best. Been snusing for just a few weeks... I use about 3 portions/day plus vaping 5 ml or so. The combo is quite enjoyable! :)
The taste took a day or two to get used to. Have something to drink ready - IPA goes great with general white.

Last edited:

SunnyHours

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Canada
Really? Add a strong one? I actually thought people would say remove 1 or 2 hehe. And I see that
the General Strong Mini White is 12mg of nic, and that seems like a whole lot compared to my 2-3mg
per cigarettes..

And when they say tobacco flavor, they mean the smoked flavour or does it taste like tobacco smells?
Is it pretty much guaranteed that I'll like it as far as effects (kick start my day and help get to sleep), or are there people that couldn't deal with it at all/weren't satisfied with the effects?
sorry for all the questions.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I would second the general mint regular portion to add. As far as white portions go it is a personal preference but I was into white portions a lot when I first started but now it doesn't matter to me. It's more about flavor and strength. I tried the ice fruit before and it tasted like a salt lick to me but that was a long time ago. If you are looking for a plain tobacco flavor then you might want to try Lab 01. I like it much better than the ettan. Skruf is a good one and I'd keep that on your list. When they say tobacco flavor that means that it's straight tobacco and no flavor added except maybe some bergamot.

SunnyHours

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 8, 2012
    Canada
    here's my cart

02 Strong Portion
    Ettan Portion
    General Dry Mint mini portion
    General Mini Portion
    General Mini White Portion
    General Mint White Portion
    General Portion
    General Strong White Mini Portion
    Mocca Mint Mini Portion
    Skruf Original Portion

Looks good?
    And I do like different teas. What about the saltiness everyone speaks about? Is it really all that much present?

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    It is apparent when you first start but you'll get used to it quick. Some are more salty than others. You have to look close when ordering mini portions. It might say 8mg nicotine per gram but the mini might only be half a gram which would bring your nic down to 4mg per portion.

SunnyHours

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 8, 2012
    Canada
    To be honest, I wouldn't mind having less than 8mg of nicotine. With drugs/poisons I prefer to start low and work my way up :p
    I'm actually more after the WTA inside those little bags. It's the only thing I'm missing from the cigs.
    I have trouble waking up in the morning and getting to sleep at night since I've switched to vaping
    I'M looking for some relief with Snus.

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    I'm a bit late to the party but I like you above statement. When I started snus I did a fair amount of mini's along with regular strength to get a feel for what works for me. After a bit of experimenting I went with the standard strength exclusively and still do after over 4 years. The mini's left me wanting something and I quickly found out that anything over 8 mg was to much. I even have to watch it with doing to many portions in a day as I can overdue it.

But everyone is different so the best advice is to start slow and try different strengths to see what works for you.

I would go with the Ettan white instead of the regular.

I should note that I don't vape so snus and a bit of nasal snuff are all I do.

SunnyHours

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 8, 2012
    Canada
    Yes I'm all about Snus now! If someone wants a Provari and a quite large collection of juices (incl. WTA juice!) I'm ready to sell it!
    Swedish Snus I mean! General Onyx and Göteborgs Rapé Lingon are amazing, and I also love the General Classic and Ettan :)

I'm also into Snuff, in love with WoS Tom Buck and Toque Quit, Peach and Raspberry Menthol!
    Thanks a lot Snubby! No longer a slave to cigarettes!

evilfrog

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    portland OR
    Ha, you're lucky! I vape, snus, and snuff these days. Add to that making flavors for DIY juice, and my house is crammed with nicotine paraphernalia. The RBA supplies take up a lot of room as well.

I'm glad it's working for you!
    ...do people react oddly when you use snuff? It's so anachronistic.... I've had some odd conversations about it.

SunnyHours

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 8, 2012
    Canada
    I usually head to the nearest bathroom for a snuff, if there's one close by. But at work I did get a couple weird stares...but I'm known to be a weirdo when it comes to tobacco lol
    I quit e-cigs but I started enjoying a pipe once in a while, I find it quite relaxing actually!

But no worries, most of my tobacco usage comes from Snus/Snuff...
    And depending on the days, sometimes I snuff more, and sometimes I snus more. Usually in public, I snus when there isn't much conversations, and snuff when I can do it in a pinch LOL (pun intended).

And I get you with the paraphernalia hehe (tobacco or otherwise :p)
    Being in Canada I have no choice but to order medium-large quantities to justify shipping, taxes and customs. Hence I'm now stuck with a bunch of Snuffs I really don't care too much about and a couple cans of snus I can't stand (much rarer hehe)

Hi Sunny,

I noticed you like General Onyx and are Canadian. If you run out of Onyx, Swedish Match markets "General Titanium" in Canada. Titanium is Onyx under a different name. Titanium, seems to only be in Canada. (This is a "just in case you run out" FYI)

I found a local vendor near my work that sells General for 13.05 + tax. Keep your eyes pealed for corner stores and gas stations. Look for a small black fridge near the tobacco. Since Canadian law prohibits display of tobacco products on the shelf, snus can be right under your nose (no pun intended) and you will never know it.

For me... a tin lasts 3-4 days so even at the brutal prices Canadian retailers sell for... the cost works out to far less per day than smoking.... and I don't have to suck up smoke.

I'm 3 days smoke free at this point. Vaping couldn't fully take the edge off... now I use my vaporizer to bridge the habit gap and let Titanium take care of the addiction part. Wish I would have found snus years ago. :)

SunnyHours

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 8, 2012
    Canada
    Cheaper than smoking for sure, however I've not seen 1 retailer in the province of Quebec carry it. I asked a bunch of speciality cigar shops and tobacconists but no such luck...they all looked at me puzzled, "you mean chew or dip?" or sometimes they ask if I want the Skoal Pouches lol
    I have to say that chew and dip are far from being popular here. It's almost always seen as extremely gross which I agree because of all the spitting. I'm guessing that's not helping Snus, since it's an oral tobacco too and people associate snus to chew/dip and the only image that comes to their head is oral cancers...I bet in Manitoba and Alberta it's very popular though...
    But I never run out of Snus lol my last order was 18 cans...5 cans lasted me around 4 months, but I did stretch it as much as possible.
    It turns out that it's cheaper to order online (with the prices you quote) either way then...it probably costs around 12$/can if the package goes through customs, and around 4-5$/can if it slips through customs unharmed.

I'm gonna impart one of my "Canadian FYI" as well then...I'm not sure how customs are in B.C but in Quebec, where I live, out of 3 packages, only 1 went through customs. Anyways, if your customs don't catch every packages (some cities/provinces do catch them all) I suggest splitting your order and I also suggest using SnusCentral! Quickest shipping (1st package received 3 days after order, Sweden to Canada), amazing customer service (reshipped a broken can, no questions asked, customs caught it though and wanted 16$ for 1 can lol) and they always get your order right, stocks are always up to date and the snus is always super fresh!

I think I should ask them for some kind of compensation (free snus?) since I keep making good publicity and recommend them all the time :p

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2014
    Orlando, Florida
    I'd try the mini portions. Snus is very strong stuff. I smoked cigarettes years ago in college, switched to mail-ordering snus, and it took a while to get used to full strength portions. So try something like General mini portions, and include something stronger in there too.
    I'd usually order a standby every order, but try something new every order too.

American dip is not so bad. You can vary the pinch sizes and use it invisibly, just like with snus- it's not mandatory to spit like chewing tobacco. I like Skoal because its milder and currently I'm not "heavy" into nicotine (I vape 12mg juice). If you can find them, Skoal Bandits are a good substitute for cigarettes.

The oral cancer risks from American smokeless tobacco are very low. Much lower than smoking cigarettes. Buying cans that haven't expired helps here, as does storing large purchases in the refrigerator.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread