Titanium Coil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarfanatic20

Sep 19, 2015
Hello, I had a concern about building a titanium contact coil. I am using titanium grade 1 and I made a contact coil using 26 gauge wire. I pulsed it in a very dark room at 10 watts until I saw a faint glow to work out the hot spots. It remained a very dark red color and did not glow bright at all just enough to see hot spots. After doing so, it has turned a violet and blue color. I know titanium dioxide is white and I did not see any of that on my coil. Is this coil safe to use with the color it is? I don't know if it created any harmful material during the process.
image.jpeg

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Titanium DI-oxide is VERY difficult to produce.
Titanium oxide refracts light and produces the "colour" change you see. (anodization)

You have NOT produced any harmful chemicals or compounds.

Cheers
I
Completely disagree about the TiO2. It is pretty easy to produce. If OP had over-pulsed fully red it would end up coating the whole coil at some point...

Reactions: Izan

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Hello, I had a concern about building a titanium contact coil. I am using titanium grade 1 and I made a contact coil using 26 gauge wire. I pulsed it in a very dark room at 10 watts until I saw a faint glow to work out the hot spots. It remained a very dark red color and did not glow bright at all just enough to see hot spots. After doing so, it has turned a violet and blue color. I know titanium dioxide is white and I did not see any of that on my coil. Is this coil safe to use with the color it is? I don't know if it created any harmful material during the process.
View attachment 589107
Beeeoootiful!!! Nice job buddy!

As @Izan said, thge colour comes from refraction of light at the surface where the tightly bound and harmless TiO and Ti2O3 oxides reside. No obvious TiO2 so you are good to go imho!

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Completely disagree about the TiO2. It is pretty easy to produce. If OP had over-pulsed fully red it would end up coating the whole coil at some point...

Thank you TOSS, I should have been more clear.
The production of NANO particle size pure Tio2 (an inhalation risk) is not so easy.
Cheers
I

Templar1191

Jun 21, 2016
I should step in here. The reason your titanium dioxide layer is violet is because of the refractive index of the oxide layers on it after you have dry fired it. Think of it like how mist can create a rainbow. Same thing.

The last Ti coil I made I dry fired it until it was white hot and brushed off the oxide layer after it cooled. I wanted to see if I could get the Ti wire to melt and burn (dangerous). The titanium dioxide layer changes colour as it cooled; I believe it was yellowish at 500C and then went back to pure white below 400C.

Dont worry about it. The titanium dioxide power isnt going to atomize into a fine suspension and be a dust hazard either. But this all aside, SS is much, much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread