Titanium wire, vaping and safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Personally, I don't see what the whole back lash against TI is. I'm beginning to think it has no merit.

IMHO a popular statement such as: "TI can only be used in TC mode".

While I've yet to find a mod that in VW mode constantly monitors the coil resistance and adjusts power but if one did there could be a case of thermal run-a-way but for one thing: the wick we use and a human is inhaling on the output. I find it very unlikely that a VW mode user would be hitting on ANYTHING with coil temperatures remotely near TI-02 oxide creation as cotton and rayon would taste awful bad <=500F.

When TC wire is used on fixed voltage (VV) and Mech mods the coil will automagically reduce power consumption as it heats up. Ti is no exception and because of the fairly high TCR it is one of the better wires to use. The same awful bad taste at <500F applies here as well. It is rather doubtful that any human would be hitting on it through their wick catching on fire and on to TI-02 oxide creation.

Yes you can dry fire or dry burn (in both cases while not actually DRAWING on the atomizer) the wire to the point of creating TI-02 oxide on the coil however it is rather doubtful that anyone would be hitting on a TI coil at TI-02 creation temperatures.

I dry burn my TI coils rather than rebuild them. I must be a "rebel without a clue" as I rarely if ever go through the minor effort to setup a special TCR. I just rinse my coils with water when done.

Worse I've heard from many 'experts' who have posted in this thread is that the oxide MIGHT not be something you'd wish to consume a bunch of. (or something like that) Surely not the "Superman's Kryptonite" or "Causes Cancer" stuff that some might want us to believe.
The reason I say I don't run Ti in power mode isn't because I'm worried about temp runaway; it's for the opposite reason, too much temp drop when used on a mech mod. If I swap an atty with a .10 ohm Ti build from a regulated device running in TC over to a mech I get an anemic vape whereas the same .10 ohm build with 316L vapes decent on a mech. I kinda like that.
Your right about Ti getting a bad rap. It just scares the crap out of people too lazy to learn that it can be safe (their fault) and people with failing memory (not always their fault). I mean I wouldn't set up an aged person with failing memory with a Ti build and expect him/her to remember how to dry burn it safely. I'm only 54 with no abnormal memory problems (?) but still I set off a Ti build like a flash bulb one day by mistake. It can happen.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    it's for the opposite reason, too much temp drop when used on a mech mod. If I swap an atty with a .10 ohm Ti build from a regulated device running in TC over to a mech I get an anemic vape whereas the same .10 ohm build with 316L vapes decent on a mech. I kinda like that.

LOL... funny cause I kinda like the "roll off" from using a TI build on my CV. Thats the beauty of the vaping hobby, everyone can dial in whatever works for THEM.

g.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2013
    Flat Rock, MI, USA

luckymew

Oct 24, 2016

showman

Verified Member
    Dec 1, 2012
    Brooklyn
    When your using AWG28 to AWG32 ANYTHING with something "stiff" is a waste of time. ;) I use Ukamen and Tempco Ti-01.

As a +44yr smoker, outdoorsman and cook 10-15 seconds and a small "puff" of burnt residue seems like the easiest way to get your coils clean. Granted my unflavored coils only need dry burning every 4-6mo's so its no big issue.

Lets see - pull wick - adjust mode - burn - find sink and rinse - rewick.

Then if you use Silica rope like I do much of the time you don't even have to pull the wick!

I use 20-22 gauge Titanium, which is pretty hard, and can easily be brushed off. I also use a ceramic wick rather than cotton.

How exactly are you guys dry-burning? it seemed to take forever for me to burn everything off.

Also curious what is the black stuff that forms on the coils, and how can we minimize its forming in the first place?

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    I use 20-22 gauge Titanium, which is pretty hard, and can easily be brushed off. I also use a ceramic wick rather than cotton.

How exactly are you guys dry-burning? it seemed to take forever for me to burn everything off.

Also curious what is the black stuff that forms on the coils, and how can we minimize its forming in the first place?
    20g what are you running that on? You using TC?

Ekowool or that ReadyX stuff?

Reactions: showman

cigatron

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 14, 2014
    clinton ar
    Why would they be inhaled? You can actually see noxious fumes being emitted from dry-burning.

ReadyX, this stuff: READYxWICK® ~ Premium Soft Ceramic Wick

Yes, TC. I don't like soft wire
    I think I see what's going on now. Are you attempting to dry burn the Ti coil witout removing the ReadyXwick? I wouldn't attempt to do that as it requires the coil temp to be too high. Not safe imo.
    Are you brushing your coils clean without removing the ReadyXwick. Wouldn't do that either as the SS bristles would break ceramic fibers off of the wick and those would be near impossible to remove completely.
    I used ReadyXwick for a few months in my MiniProtanks a couple of years ago and found it to be lacking in juice holding capacity. Didn't meet my vaping style at all so I moved backed to cotton. Vaping Cellucotton now and loving it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread