Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I think Dr. Farselinos (is that spelled right?) had several proposed studies but due to lack of funding can't do them all at once. One of those studies included testing different types of coil materials I believe. I might be wrong but I think he mentioned that that study would take around 10k to be made.
10K? Seems low. If that's all it costs, funding would not be a problem.

FogNL

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2013
Amsterdam
I think Dr. Farselinos (is that spelled right?) had several proposed studies but due to lack of funding can't do them all at once. One of those studies included testing different types of coil materials I believe. I might be wrong but I think he mentioned that that study would take around 10k to be made.

Tnx Tony.

I know Dr. Farsalinos does - and has done - many good things for vaping. And he's very ambitious to do a lot more research. He already deserves a statue in my view!

But my point is that throughout this thread (and many others) all sorts of claims and statements are made and repeated over and over again. About which wire is better for our health, things to do and not to do etc. But I've never been able to find any thorough research confirming these statements. Not even a little but this is probably my fault.

Again, I'm sure this research is available somewhere. I just like to know where and read it. The subject is more than important enough I think.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
When it comes to catching on fire, wire is not the same as machining swarf. Heck, steel will burn too. Go get some 0000 steel wool and see for yourself.

As for oxides, they're not a problem if they form a passivation layer on the surface that stays put. Every coil material used in vaping forms an oxide layer. With Kanthal, it's predominantly aluminum oxide. With nichrome it's predominantly chromium. Read up on those and decide for yourself if they're less hazardous than titanium oxide. The real question is, do they get into the vapor and if so, in what amounts and particle sizes. I've not found any actual research on this. I'll say this: The oxide layer on titanium appears to be quite stable provided the wire isn't overheated to temperatures several times higher than you should get on a temperature-limited mod.

j3suss

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
N/A
hello friends!

I have a question... I have Ti Grado 1 0,32 and kanthal A1. if I use mods without TC (GG4S for example), I should not use Titanium Gr 1 not? Because I have seen that when cotton has not liquid, creates oxide on titanium, and the kanthal not happen if it gets red hot. Then ...
Titanium is best to use only TC and kanthal in mechanical mods without TC?

Thanks friends!

We have never worried much about our health smoking as we are doing now, that's fine !! =) :)

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
hello friends!

I have a question... I have Ti Grado 1 0,32 and kanthal A1. if I use mods without TC (GG4S for example), I should not use Titanium Gr 1 not? Because I have seen that when cotton has not liquid, creates oxide on titanium, and the kanthal not happen if it gets red hot. Then ...
Titanium is best to use only TC and kanthal in mechanical mods without TC?

Thanks friends!

We have never worried much about our health smoking as we are doing now, that's fine !! =) :)
I'm sure Tilemahos and Penélope 4 can tell you.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Oh man...

Rossum already said that grade 1 should not be used without TC control. Imeo said the same thing I believe.

So:

ESG = normal mod's
Gr1 = TC mods

Since I don't know the mods you refer, you should see if they have tc or not.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

Last edited:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal

j3suss

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
N/A
Status