Titanium wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Kolimbari, Chania, Crete
Yeah. I am just recoiling when I need to rewick. It is just easier IMO. No cleaning wires. Wire is cheap enough. I always do the same build with close to the same ohms so its no big deal. :)
Trouble is I seem to be doing it every other day. I vape a lot, all day.:pop:

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Trouble is I seem to be doing it every other day. I vape a lot, all day.[emoji14]op:
What ohms are you building? Sub-ohm?

My builds are around 0.4-0.5 ohms using mech mod Esterigon and Tilemahos combo. I don't build my ohms any lower than that.

For a long time I was using cotton wicks, and I was rebuilding a lot with cotton. The problem for me with cotton is that sometimes I would forget that the juice control was turned off and I would end up with a dry/burned vape, which is not good. Once the cotton gets burned, you CAN NOT get that burned taste out of cotton to go away. If a cotton wick gets burned, the wick must be replaced. And that can be a real bummer if you are out at a party or away from your materials to rebuild.

I started using rayon wicks and for me it is working much better. Way better than cotton IMO. The rayon is harder to burn than cotton. Rayon will give a dryer hit with less juice and I can tell by the taste that it needs more juice before the rayon starts to burn. And even if the rayon is slightly burned, that taste will go away with more juice IMO.

This has allowed me to use the steel tanks of GG atomizers without any problems. I can tell with the slight change of flavor of the rayon wick that the GG tank needs more juice with out having a clear tank to see the juice or ending up with a burned wick.

But there are many factors that go into rebuildable atomizers. Let's look at some of them:

~OHMS~ This factor decides how much power from the battery is going into the coil wire. There are also other factors along with this; such as, what device you are using. A mech mod, or an adjustable VV/VW mod (VIR? LOL). Other factors include how good your battery is when using a mech.

When it comes to Ohms, it is actually possible to burn juice if the ohms are too low. I have a friend who builds his coils way too low. His coils come out to 0.09!!! Almost a dead short, and he uses a mech (Because that kind of build on a VW is not possible). He vapes 100% VG juice. VG in itself does not give much throat hit, but it does give good clouds. I tried his set up a couple times and I couldn't handle it. The throat hit was too intense and he is actually burning the VG juice. I told him that his set up is dangerous and not recommended.

~WICKS~ Silica, Cotton, Rayon, Bamboo, Hemp... Everybody has their own preference. I only have experience in silica, cotton, and rayon. My preference is Rayon.

My experience with cotton is that the cotton needs time to absorb juice before vaping. I would cut the cotton wick to the size needed and I would let the cotton wick soak in juice for about 24hrs before I put it in a coil. You may be surprised how much the cotton swells up with juice and you may need to trim down the swelled cotton wick even more in order to fit it in a coil.
Letting the cotton soak up juice before using has worked out much better and is less prone to burning when the juice is running low.

My experience with rayon it that unlike cotton, there is no break in time. I put a dry rayon wick in the coil and put juice on it and that's it. Vape and go. It wicks just as good cotton IMO. P.Busardo has a good video on YouTube reviewing all these types of wicks.

~JUICE~ There is all different kinds of juice when it comes to flavors and the VG/PG mix ratios. 100% VG tends to gunk up coils faster than 100% PG.

I think the standard for juice vendors is a 50/50 mix of VG/PG. But juice can be mixed by preference, and some juice vendors have the option of letting you choose your own mix, such as 40/60 or 30/70, or even just 100% VG.

Flavoring is also a factor for gunky coils. More flavor seems to gunk up coils faster in my experience.

PG equates to more throat hit and less visible vapor.
VG equates to more clouds and less throat hit (unless you build your ohms too low to the point of just burning it).

I make my own juice, and because of this, I am able to vape as much juice as I want for about $100 dollars a year. [emoji4]

My usual mix is:
55% PG
35% VG
10% Distilled Water

The nicotine and flavoring are random variables that can be factored into that mix depending on how much nicotine and flavoring you want using an ejuice calculator.

I am going against the grain by using less VG and more PG and also distilled water. But I still get good clouds. Not as thick as other users. But I'm also not a cloud chaser.

My juice mix is thinner and is easier on the coils. The coil still gets gunky but I can vape nicely for about a week before rebuilding.

These are my opinions and experiences. You can agree or disagree, I don't care. But I do care about sharing what I have learned in order to help others. Live Long, and Vape Strong!

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto

My builds are around 0.4-0.5 ohms using mech mod Esterigon and Tilemahos combo. I don't build my ohms any lower than that.

For a long time I was using cotton wicks, and I was rebuilding a lot with cotton. The problem for me with cotton is that sometimes I would forget that the juice control was turned off and I would end up with a dry/burned vape, which is not good. Once the cotton gets burned, you CAN NOT get that burned taste out of cotton to go away. If a cotton wick gets burned, the wick must be replaced. And that can be a real bummer if you are out at a party or away from your materials to rebuild.

I started using rayon wicks and for me it is working much better. Way better than cotton IMO. The rayon is harder to burn than cotton. Rayon will give a dryer hit with less juice and I can tell by the taste that it needs more juice before the rayon starts to burn. And even if the rayon is slightly burned, that taste will go away with more juice IMO.

This has allowed me to use the steel tanks of GG atomizers without any problems. I can tell with the slight change of flavor of the rayon wick that the GG tank needs more juice with out having a clear tank to see the juice or ending up with a burned wick.

But there are many factors that go into rebuildable atomizers. Let's look at some of them:

~OHMS~ This factor decides how much power from the battery is going into the coil wire. There are also other factors along with this; such as, what device you are using. A mech mod, or an adjustable VV/VW mod (VIR? LOL). Other factors include how good your battery is when using a mech.

When it comes to Ohms, it is actually possible to burn juice if the ohms are too low. I have a friend who builds his coils way too low. His coils come out to 0.09!!! Almost a dead short, and he uses a mech (Because that kind of build on a VW is not possible). He vapes 100% VG juice. VG in itself does not give much throat hit, but it does give good clouds. I tried his set up a couple times and I couldn't handle it. The throat hit was too intense and he is actually burning the VG juice. I told him that his set up is dangerous and not recommended.

~WICKS~ Silica, Cotton, Rayon, Bamboo, Hemp... Everybody has their own preference. I only have experience in silica, cotton, and rayon. My preference is Rayon.

My experience with cotton is that the cotton needs time to absorb juice before vaping. I would cut the cotton wick to the size needed and I would let the cotton wick soak in juice for about 24hrs before I put it in a coil. You may be surprised how much the cotton swells up with juice and you may need to trim down the swelled cotton wick even more in order to fit it in a coil.
Letting the cotton soak up juice before using has worked out much better and is less prone to burning when the juice is running low.

My experience with rayon it that unlike cotton, there is no break in time. I put a dry rayon wick in the coil and put juice on it and that's it. Vape and go. It wicks just as good cotton IMO. P.Busardo has a good video on YouTube reviewing all these types of wicks.

~JUICE~ There is all different kinds of juice when it comes to flavors and the VG/PG mix ratios. 100% VG tends to gunk up coils faster than 100% PG.

I think the standard for juice vendors is a 50/50 mix of VG/PG. But juice can be mixed by preference, and some juice vendors have the option of letting you choose your own mix, such as 40/60 or 30/70, or even just 100% VG.

Flavoring is also a factor for gunky coils. More flavor seems to gunk up coils faster in my experience.

VG equates to more clouds and less throat hit (unless you build your ohms too low to the point of just burning it).

I make my own juice, and because of this, I am able to vape as much juice as I want for about $100 dollars a year. [emoji4]

My usual mix is:
55% PG
35% VG
10% Distilled Water

The nicotine and flavoring are random variables that can be factored into that mix depending on how much nicotine and flavoring you want using an ejuice calculator.

I am going against the grain by using less VG and more PG and also distilled water. But I still get good clouds. Not as thick as other users. But I'm also not a cloud chaser.

My juice mix is thinner and is easier on the coils. The coil still gets gunky but I can vape nicely for about a week before rebuilding.

These are my opinions and experiences. You can agree or disagree, I don't care. But I do care about sharing what I have learned in order to help others. Live Long, and Vape Strong!
Nice read sad. Are you able to build this low ohms on old gg atomizers that use NR wires? I stopped using all my gg atomizers because of that. I cannot build a proper coil with fat wire because then you need fat NR and it doesn't connect well. Too bad I like the looks of old gg atomizers but they don't satisfy me anymore.

I got used to drippers and bottom feeders it's hard for me even to use tanks on a daily basis.

Reactions: Rossum

Yaya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Kolimbari, Chania, Crete

My usual mix is:
55% PG
35% VG
10% Distilled Water

I'm using Ti .40mm 10 turns a 3mm rod. Reads about 0.8ohms
Silica wick Tilemahos on GGmonkey. 100 percent VG with 10 percent distilled water. Yes and flavour. I went off cotton for same reason but have been unsure about rayon. Will try it.:glug:

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com

My usual mix is:
55% PG
35% VG
10% Distilled Water

Personally I full agree Sad!:)

Our difference is only on liquid. I use 90% VG with 10% water

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Nice read sad. Are you able to build this low ohms on old gg atomizers that use NR wires? I stopped using all my gg atomizers because of that. I cannot build a proper coil with fat wire because then you need fat NR and it doesn't connect well. Too bad I like the looks of old gg atomizers but they don't satisfy me anymore.

I got used to drippers and bottom feeders it's hard for me even to use tanks on a daily basis.
The only old GG atomizers I have are Penelope V1 and V2. Both of them take NR wires. I haven't used them in a long time. I have used them with fat wires, along with fat NR wires and it turned out OK. You have to use the same diameter wire for both the R and NR wires. Or twist thinner NR wires together. There are a few tricky set-ups I learned to keep the NR wires in place, especially on the V1.

Also it depends how low your ohms are and what type of NR wire you are using. I think I was using nickel as a NR wire and it was also getting heated (glowing) because the ohms were so low on the R wire.

I'm past the stage of NR wires. The Penelope atomizers are awesome with their thin resemblance. But now I would rather get a V3 or V4 and forget about NR wires.

Reactions: steliosss

AdamAnd

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
Ajax, Canada
I have all atomizers :). Penny v1 v2 ody ithaka. I wish I could find a good build with fat wires. Not necessarily low ohms.
How fat a wire do you want to use and what type of wick. when I was zapping wires for oDY and wanted fat wires I would wrap them first then zap the nr wire on worked most of the time.

Reactions: imeothanasis

AdamAnd

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
Ajax, Canada
Rayon with 28 ga the thinnest.
28ga should be great for the Ody Do you have a wire zapper or are you twisting by hand? It's has been a while since I twisted by hand but I was thinking about trying and 24ga wire in my ody I hate to just look at my GG stuff my wife is using my Ithaka with the new re-buildable part my GG4s is using the Tilemahos v2 my GG4s with air flow is using the tilemahos v1 If you need help let me know I can make a vid showing the way I would do it (which might not be the best lol) but I will try to help.

mstave

Jun 12, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Just tried some TI#1 24ga I got from Unkamen. Washed with soap, water and a scrubby, then alcohol pad. No black marks. Using an IPV4 (sx330 TC chip) Dual coil 2mm in a goblin. Pulsed at 275F to get ride of any organics from the coiling. No oxides of any colors. Used a very familiar juice (250F, 30joules, 0.095 ohms) and got a funny taste. Cleaned and rebuilt my other goblin with dual claptons (27ga wrapped with 36ga both kanthal, .35ohms, 43 watts) Same juice, same bottle, great taste, what I expected. Cotton bacon for wick for both. Tried em side by side - still funny taste from the TI, You guys have any ideas?

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Just tried some TI#1 24ga I got from Unkamen. Washed with soap, water and a scrubby, then alcohol pad. No black marks. Using an IPV4 (sx330 TC chip) Dual coil 2mm in a goblin. Pulsed at 275F to get ride of any organics from the coiling. No oxides of any colors. Used a very familiar juice (250F, 30joules, 0.095 ohms) and got a funny taste. Cleaned and rebuilt my other goblin with dual claptons (27ga wrapped with 36ga both kanthal, .35ohms, 43 watts) Same juice, same bottle, great taste, what I expected. Cotton bacon for wick for both. Tried em side by side - still funny taste from the TI, You guys have any ideas?
your Ti is not Ti, or its another grade mst. I had to search a lot before I find the Ti I use on VIR

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know who thought of the Micro coil or why it's so popular. But it doesn't work for me. I did a micro last week (using ESG Ti) and my rayon wick only lasted half as long as my regular spaced coil.

I thought maybe my wick was too tight in the coil so I cleaned the coil with a toothbrush (no dry burning) and rewicked again with rayon. Only to have the same problems again. Not much vapor production...only lasted like 3 days.

I think what was happening is that the Micro coil wraps are so close together that this allows the coil to gunk up quicker. At least for me and the flavoring I use. I don't go that low on sub ohms to the point of burning my juice.

I think the people who go way low in the sub ohm division are able to use micro coils because the coil gets so hot that it doesn't get a chance to gunk up, and if it does it get burned off...into their lungs.
Gross!

I'm back on the spaced coil with Esterigon/Tilemahos and right away the vapor production and flavor seem much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread