Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
NICKEL PLATED mods
ONE RUN ONLY

So I am having a batch of mods Nickel Plated. Nickel playing is often sen in high end firearms. It's very similar to chrome plating, it's exactly how a chrome bumper of a truck is made. It's gong to be by far the toughest finish available. It's super hard, and it will maintain a mirror finish. They will look much deeper than really nicely polished aluminum, but they won't pick up scratches like polished aluminum does. Aluminum, no matter what, is soft, so it scratches relatively easily, this is nothing like that.
I have some micros and some 10ml mods that I can have done. If you want one you have to be quick about it, I'm having them done next week. Micros 18650/8.5ml magnetic cap mods will be $440.00 and 18650/10ml. mods will be $450.00 . I'll post a couple pictures of some other parts I have had the Nickel Plating on tomorrow, a here are some pictures of the micro, and the 10ml mods, just in case anyone hadn't seen the difference.

This is a one time limited edition run. Please just shoot me an e-mail if your interested.

Tmodcustoms@gmail.com

fbd34a41960dcc0d9fe43406cb1e4f6f.jpg
23bb4c5a2c0172bfc667a0417cea8e4c.jpg
fd62ee10eb6d7f301badc46f269aeb47.jpg
2706b129348cfa0f4eff2c7155ba27ea.jpg
816ee7004aa272808b439e1036c730b9.jpg

Here's one Nickel Plated part:
I'll post more tomorrow.
f2e88584b4cfb8d72f5a9ec6ae189cf1.jpg

Reactions: ghola1was

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
Bare nickel or do you plan another layer?

Bare will turn grey and could cause allergic reactions.

I have a nickel plated horn that was lacquered. Any scratches in the lacquer show as grey instead of silver.

Bumpers get chrome as a hard protecting layer, but the color comes from the nickel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doffy

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
Do you do greek xmas, or on the 25th?

0ae95d2088a3abd255b26a36c536d25c.jpg

This is even sleeping by my side.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
I do them both. Geek xmas, Geek Easter, you name it haha!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
They will be plated with a few different layers, same way a car bumper gets done. I'm having an ar15 done too. I gotta run right now but I'll come back and explain a bit better later on, it's ba dass, no downside, it's just awesome.

Reactions: tpedwards

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
Here's a couple lousy pics I had on my phone, I still didn't get any new pics, the part on the top right is polished aluminum, the top left is nickel, can't tell how nice it is bc it's picking up the reflection in the picture.

d065aed3a811e11fa6cbde3f474fc72e.jpg

Not a great pic either, sorry, I'll get done better ones.

I have some spots left, not many.
8e9d911502b6dc8d0d01c1db11b440d6.jpg

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
Here's a couple lousy pics I had on my phone, I still didn't get any new pics, the part on the top right is polished aluminum, the top left is nickel, can't tell how nice it is bc it's picking up the reflection in the picture.

d065aed3a811e11fa6cbde3f474fc72e.jpg

Not a great pic either, sorry, I'll get done better ones.

I have some spots left, not many.
8e9d911502b6dc8d0d01c1db11b440d6.jpg
Would also like to see the plated AR15 when it gets done! [emoji3]

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
Why would you want to produce a finger print magnet? Not understanding this... Is this what people want nowadays?
Polished aluminum it's a fingerprint magnet, nickel plateing is a whole nother level. It doesn't scratch like aluminum either, it's a lot different, it looks significantly better, but it's also much much more durable.

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
For sure, go try to scratch a chrome truck bumper, it's like that only even tougher and deeper looking, father in that direction than chrome, which is a world of difference away from any polished material, brass, aluminum, copper, etc, that you'd call a fingerprint magnet.

That's one of the main reasons I don't really offer polished mods. I don't like doing it personally, but I could have one of my guys on polishing duty. Aluminum, brass bronze and copper are all very soft (relatively) metals. So they show prints and scratch (relatively) easy. Chrome and nickel are much harder metals, like titanium, which I also offer polished, because it doesn't scratch or print like the others. It's just all about different materials, different materials act differently, especially when you carry them in your pocket. Sucks to spend lots of money on a ba dass device that gets scratches or prints. Titanium I would call second best, nickel is second to none. Titanium does anodize really well too, so that goes to a long way IMO as well.

Last edited:

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
No worries, I haven't had a chance to talk to the plating guy yet buy I believe it's polished, copper plated, chrome plated then nickel plated, I may be missing a couple other steps but it's something like that.

Usually the order is copper, nickel, chrome as chrome is less reactive.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I was just curious was all. I am "very" familiar with plating processes as I owned an industrial tool & supply business for almost 30yrs with 90+% in specialized fasteners. I also owned a few nickel and chrome plated products in my life, and yes, while the finish is tough as nails they were usually thrown in a drawer from constantly having to be cleaned from fingerprints and such...

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
REO did one run years back. I know Rob never revisited it, but unsure why.

Sure looks nice though

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Because they were very difficult to produce a finished device without some kind of flaw in the finish. Most that he sold were sold as blems... There were also the same concerns as I brought up as well about them being a fingerprint magnet and all. A couple years ago there were several that sold in the classies and on Ebay...

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
It's not that polishing is hard to do, it's just a bit time consuming. A ten dollar an hour guy can put a great mirror on aluminum all day long it's just that it's not really going to hold up well. You've seen cement tanker trucks, the two big tanks, those are aluminum. Most of the time they look like crap, but every once in a while you'll see a guy who polishes his out on his days off...every day off, it takes a good amount of time and effort to keep that polished finish liking good all the time. Like anything, if you take pride in it and it matters to you you can keep it looking good, it's just much harder on polished aluminum vs nickel. Harder surfaces also polish out a lot nicer bc you van be more aggressive in the polishing process, you get it "more" polished where as aluminum, brass, bronze and copper are soft, they "gum up" instead of taking the surface to a finer finish. Like trying to cut thin pieces out of a tomato, if it's a little more firm you can cut it thinner and cleaner if it's soft, not so much. Bottom line is the Nickel is really nice but if you want it I only have four or five spots left in the batch. They do it by batches, it's just about full and I'm only doing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread