To TC... or not to TC... that is MY question lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

mschnabel

Jun 9, 2014
Missouri
Hey guys and gals, long time reader, first time thread creator here...

I've been vaping on and off for about 3 years, and have quite the history with RDAs... however I just ordered a Kylin RDTA and am going to start experimenting with the revolution of rebuildable tanks. I currently own both a SMOK XCube II, and a SMOK 80w Baby TC device.

I have built numerous coils, from twisted to claptons, but have only ever used Kanthal.

I guess I am asking, what are the benefits of switching to a SS or Titanium style wire and utilizing the Temperature Control these devices offer? I have always had good flavor, good cloud production and an enjoyable vape so I haven't really swayed from what I already was good at. However, I am just feeling like doing something different and thought that I could explore the realm of TC to see if I can further improve my vaping experience.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and in advance for any advice, comments that you guys and gals have for me!
Matt

Reactions: mountaingal

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
I move to SS 316l for coil building. It can be used in both TC and power mode. So if you find TC not to your liking for what ever reason no problem. I was also surprised with a cleaner taste. The kanthal wire used before gave myself a metal taste.
Good luck in your adventure!

Last edited:

mschnabel

Jun 9, 2014
Missouri
MSK thank you so much for the input, I probably should have done a little more searching around the forums before posting, but I appreciate the insight!!

I will definitely have to check out some SS 316l wire. How is to work with? Does it feel similar to kanthal as far as the pliability is concerned? I usually build claptons with either 24/22 wrapped in 32/34. If I am hoping to build some claptons, should I double up on the SS to keep the coil consistent?

Sorry for the variety of questions, thank you for the help in advance!

Reactions: MSK421

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
MSK thank you so much for the input, I probably should have done a little more searching around the forums before posting, but I appreciate the insight!!

I will definitely have to check out some SS 316l wire. How is to work with? Does it feel similar to kanthal as far as the pliability is concerned? I usually build claptons with either 24/22 wrapped in 32/34. If I am hoping to build some claptons, should I double up on the SS to keep the coil consistent?

Remember ss has a lower resistance than kanthal

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas

SS, as Don29palms stated, has lower resistance approximately half. The pliability is somewhat the same maybe more springy but very workable. As far as Clapton, I would build the same way at first to see how it compares then adjust from there. If your Clapton builds ohm out at .5 then ss will ohm at .25. I truely believe you will be much happier with ss. Just remember short pulses at low watts to check for hot spots ect. You do not want to "glow" ss for long periods of time it will become brittle and break.

Last edited:

mschnabel

Jun 9, 2014
Missouri
SS, as Don29palms stated, has lower resistance approximately half. The pliability is somewhat the same maybe more springy but very workable. As far as Clapton, I would build the same way at first to see how it compares then adjust from there. If your Clapton builds ohm out at .5 then ss will ohm at .25. I truely believe you will be much happier with ss. Just remember short pulses at low watts to check for hot spots ect. You do not want to "glow" ss for long periods of time it will become brittle and break.

Fantastic thank you, I usually build single coil claptons out around 0.5 - 0.6ohms so that would still be a safe ohm range on both of my devices. I usually check for hot spots with like 30-40 watts and pulse slowly while adjusting and forming the coil over a couple minutes. So I should be ok. Thanks again for the great advice, can't wait to get my Kylin in the mail so I can start playing around with some SS builds!

Reactions: MSK421

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hey guys and gals, long time reader, first time thread creator here...

I've been vaping on and off for about 3 years, and have quite the history with RDAs... however I just ordered a Kylin RDTA and am going to start experimenting with the revolution of rebuildable tanks. I currently own both a SMOK XCube II, and a SMOK 80w Baby TC device.

I have built numerous coils, from twisted to claptons, but have only ever used Kanthal.

I guess I am asking, what are the benefits of switching to a SS or Titanium style wire and utilizing the Temperature Control these devices offer? I have always had good flavor, good cloud production and an enjoyable vape so I haven't really swayed from what I already was good at. However, I am just feeling like doing something different and thought that I could explore the realm of TC to see if I can further improve my vaping experience.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and in advance for any advice, comments that you guys and gals have for me!
Matt
I use an rda exclusively, including at work, driving, and out and about. TC means I can vape the wick fairly dry when necessary without dry hits. This makes an rda practical for everyday all the time use. I use stainless wire because it's easy work to make coils. I do MTL which means higher ohm coils and short puffs. To get a warm hit I use preheat for some punch then the temp control to prevent overheating.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I use factory made coils in wattage and TC mode but since I started using SS316L for my builds I only use TC for my RDA/RTA/RBTA's. I never achieved that smooth cool pleasurable vape in wattage mode with my builds like I do in TC. Now remember this is just my personal opinion and not based on anything more than my personal preference. Never used SS316L in wattage mode and probably never will.

Reactions: Fozzy71

Vaperx

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2016
I've been vaping for 3.5 years basically. I was always wattage and some of the mods I had could do TC. I tried it on a few mods and it sucked. Temp protect warnings and vape wasn't good at all. Went right back to watts. I smoked cigarettes while vaping and brought me down to half a pack from a single pack. I would then be very inconsistent for a few years. Vaped a few times a week but then was back to a full pack of smokes.

Then this past January I said screw it and wanted to buy a higher end mod. Heard TC was great on a DNA. So in Canada they are not cheap. Always over $200 easily. Went a purchased a Therion 167 and tried TC again and was wowed. I couldn't believe the difference. Since I bought the DNA and went TC in a higher end mod it made me stop smoking right then and there. Going on 8 months without a puff of a cigarette. Loved the Therion so much I have 3 now [emoji4]. If I hadn't come across that thread back 8 months ago I still most likely would be smoking. Sorry for the long post but TC changed everything for me in such a positive way. [emoji106]

Sent from my Galaxy S8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread