Tobacco Companies and Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

XBarbarian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2014
Largo, FL
spot on observations by Rolygate! I hadn't seen that post. thanks for sharing it here, BA!

Im not going to let fear win. we'll just deal with it as it happens, and see what we can do to overcome any potential obstacles that come. but today, I get to still enjoy the vaping experience Ive come to love so much!

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
So why do the American People allow the FDA to Operate in this Manor?

First and foremost, they're no longer funded by the government. I'm not sure citizens have a say anymore, unless they go back to being funded by taxes.

In addition, for your average citizen, I don't think the FDA comes across as terribly outrageous. Sure, maybe a bit inept and bungling, but not (c)overtly evil. Plus, we're under the impression that they keep our beef and hotdogs safe and edible, (minimal fecal matter, etc) which is priority #1 in America.

Lots of "small" groups have all sorts of disagreement with the FDA (GMOs, drugs like Ephedra, and now vaping, to name a few), but from what I can tell, the outrage is by no means widespread, or at least severe.

Just guessing here, but that's what I assume anyway. The FDA rarely crossed my mind, until they tried to mess with vaping.

Krashman Von Stinkputin

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Missouri
First and foremost, they're no longer funded by the government.

Maybe I'm not understanding this statement but the FDA is a Federal Agency that's part of the Health & Human Services Department run by a presidential appointed cabinet member---in short very much government funded.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
First and foremost, they're no longer funded by the government. I'm not sure citizens have a say anymore, unless they go back to being funded by taxes.

In addition, for your average citizen, I don't think the FDA comes across as terribly outrageous. Sure, maybe a bit inept and bungling, but not (c)overtly evil. Plus, we're under the impression that they keep our beef and hotdogs safe and edible, (minimal fecal matter, etc) which is priority #1 in America.

Lots of "small" groups have all sorts of disagreement with the FDA (GMOs, drugs like Ephedra, and now vaping, to name a few), but from what I can tell, the outrage is by no means widespread, or at least severe.

Just guessing here, but that's what I assume anyway. The FDA rarely crossed my mind, until they tried to mess with vaping.

Gotcha...

I thought it might have had something to do with the Apathetical Nature of the General Public.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
ALL of government operates in this manner.

Money=Lobbyists
Lobbyists=Visibility and Influence

So should we All just sit Back and say... "It is what it Is"? And do Nothing?

Because Doing Nothing is Easy. And I like Easy. But it kinda Perpetuates the Problem.

Krashman Von Stinkputin

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Missouri
I'm Not Justifying or Condoning what BT has done in the Past. But where was the FDA in All of This?

The FDA Approved the Chemicals that BT wanted to put into Cigarettes. And Isn't it the FDA's Role to Ensure that what Is in a Cigarette is Supposed to be there?

FDA was only given oversight of tobacco and tobacco related products by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009.
In it all products that were available for sale prior to February 15, 2007 were "grandfathered' i.e.exempted from any future approval process. (BTW: That "magic" date was selected as it was the date the legislation was proposed to Congress)
So Marlboros, Camels, Kools,Newports, etc. are "grandfathered" in.

This date has also been selected as the grandfather date for electronic cigarettes as well.

Quiz Question: Who do you think "helped" congress write this legislation that way?

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
How many people actually like the taste of Blu?
Oh my. Their Classic Tobacco flavor got me off the smokes and the cost of their cartos is what made me abandon them.

That flavor is being sold in bottles now over in the U.K. I can't wait for it to sell here in the U.S. Can't vape anything else made by Johnson Creek though (it's just too "over-flavored" for me).

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
FDA was only given oversight of tobacco and tobacco related products by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009.
In it all products that were available for sale prior to February 15, 2007 were "grandfathered' i.e.exempted from any future approval process. (BTW: That "magic" date was selected as it was the date the legislation was proposed to Congress)
So Marlboros, Camels, Kools,Newports, etc. are "grandfathered" in.

This date has also been selected as the grandfather date for electronic cigarettes as well.

Quiz Question: Who do you think "helped" congress write this legislation that way?

Interesting.

Does the FDA need any Congressional Approval of their Finalize Rules?

Or once the FSPTA passed and was signed by the President, or did it gave the FDA the Power to make Any Tobacco Rule it chooses to? Within the Authority of the FSPTA that is.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Well then I guess we should all Just Except that Nothing Can be Done. And let the FDA do whatever they Think is Best.

:facepalm:

Isn't that the prevailing attitude here? After all, BT and BP control the FDA and all the government wants is money. Big corporations run the government and that black helicopter won't stop circling my house...

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Isn't that the prevailing attitude here? After all, BT and BP control the FDA and all the government wants is money. Big corporations run the government and that black helicopter won't stop circling my house...

Seems to be.

I read a Lot of Posts about People Bent over something the FDA has done in the Past. Or Might Do in the Future.

But that is about as Far as it Goes.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Maybe I'm not understanding this statement but the FDA is a Federal Agency that's part of the Health & Human Services Department run by a presidential appointed cabinet member---in short very much government funded.

Yes, you are correct, I misinterpreted an article on their decreased funding.

According to Wikipedia (great source, I know, but a cursory google search didn't show any more reputable sources), about $2.8Bn of their total $4.8Bn budget came from us, the other ~41% came from user fees from industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread