Not open for further replies.

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
Alright guys here's my problem :

ALL MY tobacco FLAVORS TASTE LIKE MENTHOL

I've tried ry4, red blend, western, cowboy, and cubano...western was the only decent one, it wasn't menthol just kind of "dusty" tasting...

The only other one that doesn't taste like menthol is the cubano, which tastes like flippin' jalapeños!!

I've tried em low (1-2%), I've tried em high (6-9%, for me is very high), I've tried em fresh, I've tried em steeped for a week, still didn't like em so stuck em back in the cabinet & forgot about em for a month or so... Mostly solo flavors but I've also mixed like with the ry4 I tried a cov4 recipe and several variants thereof, I used a few of the others to try several twists on a chocolate tobacco, tried one with vanilla bourbon, one with tfa honey... I don't get it. Wizard is usually good on flavor descriptions, none of these sound like they should have menthol in em! Can somebody help?

I'd be happy if somebody could just point me to a tobacco flavor, stocked by wizard, that does NOT taste like menthol or random weirdness like jalapeños...pleeeeeease? lol

Last edited:

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
PS if anyone likes any of these flavors, pm me your address...a swap would be great, if you've got some non-menthol-y's around, but even straight giving em away is better than em sitting in a cabinet unloved lol. I just don't wanna buy more flavors yet again until I can figure out how to pick em right!! I've not had this much trouble with any other flavors but tobaccos...fun fun lol guess i oughta count my blessings re being relatively lucky this far, eh?

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
If you mixed your bases together to get your usual mg level and PG/VG ratio without any flavoring, what does that taste like when you vape it?

The testing of all bases because something funky with one component can lead to, "all my X taste like Y", is an important step so I wonder what your bases tasted like when you vaped them before you started making flavored juice.

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
Thanks Hoosier... You're right, a weird base or a funky palate or even a wonky coil can throw the world out of whack and I'm def not immune, lol... I don't think that's it tho, I do DIY all the time for myself and some friends/family. I am totally new to tobacco flavors in particular though, I had written them off a long time ago... I actually only started it because a friend asked me to try one in particular - I got lucky on that one, they specified Turkish tobacco, so I got one specifically for that mix and it worked - but, it turned out amazingly yummy, made me change my mind about not liking tobaccos myself, and also my dad now wants several more tobacco flavors lol and you can really only do so much with Turkish. Plus it's more expensive than what I normally buy. So I turned to TFA, LA etc that I normally use and love. But anyway sorry I got sidetracked... I've been playing with tobaccos for, idk, a month or two now, am on my 3rd order of bases since that started... and all my other juices I've mixed still taste normal! So I don't think I'm lucky enough for the fix to be that easy, lol. Thanks for the reply tho I love how quickly people here step up to help each other :)

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Someone in the tobacco thread had a list, you'd have to search for it. I copied it to a notepad to research on tobacco DIY. I did't copy their name so I can't give credit to them but you can find it in the tobacco recipe thread.

Favorites
HS Desert Ship (beats all others DS) ...
HS Flue Cured, mild ,smooth
HS Golden V1, yums
HS Highway, Yums
HS Indian, Yums
FA Dark Vapirs (1%), it's strong, but good
TFA RY4 Double
TFA Tobacco Blend
VZ Island SC, has soft pineapple taste, more "tropical" than tobacco
VZ Parliament SC
VZ Dunhill, soft, cigar-ish, on the sweet side.
German Arabian, yums
German Brazilian, yums

Good, but not special (for me)
HS RY4
HS Tab Blended
INA Gold Ducat, good, on the sweet side
FA 7 Leaves, good, but on the dry side
FA Black Fire
FA Desert Ship good, but HS is better
FA Shade, mild
FA Maxx Blend
FA Oakwood, strong, (good additive in fruits for body, and woodsy taste)
FA Royal soft flavor, nice
FA RY4 soft, dry-ish
FA Tuscan Reserve, mild
FA Virginia, good, but there's probably better out there.
TFA French Pipe, smooth, soft at 1%
VZ Honey Flue Cured, very mild
VZ Yuco SCG, not sweet or strong .. but way overpriced for the flavor
VZ Desert Ship, good, but HS is better

Yuck (to me) .. in the "donate" box
INA Nutty Princess, no flavor
INA Smoke and Prunes, so-so, (no prunes)
FA Liquid Amber, requires a high %, but is a good background blender used in fruits.
FA Oba Oba, fruity, no tobacco taste
TFA Cowboy, strong, cigar-ish, only good if really diluted
TFA DK Tobacco, strong, leaves a strong after taste.
TFA M-Type, strong, taste stays with you.
TFA Smooth, no taste
TFA Tobacco Absolute, strong, grassy
FW Honey Wood, no flavor
FW Maple Rum, so-so
VZ 555SC, strong
VZ B&H, so-so, mild, "grows"
VZ Seven Stars, no flavor
German.. White Lion, just so-so

Reactions: mamabear15

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
100% Danny .. It's funny, I kept trying more flavors because I thought it was just me. Then I chanced across a post on here a week or so ago where a couple people mentioned a menthol taste in the TFA ry4 (wish I could find it again to link to) but it wasn't a recipe thread so there was no discussion of alternatives. It was a light bulb moment for me to realize I wasn't the only one who tasted it, that's what made me wonder if anyone could give some advice - I don't mind trying flavors to find my favorite, but I don't much care for wasting my money over and over either lol

Reactions: Dixie1954

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
Wow. I'd steeped before, over a month bcuz I hated em but never throw anything away... but somebody on a different site said try steeping with the lid off vs lid on... 3 days and the menthol is gone. On every single one of em. That menthol taste stuck around thru a month of steeping until I took the dang top off. Really?! Punching myself in the face right now...but admitting it in case anybody else has the same issue :)

Reactions: Dixie1954

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
HANGSEN ORDER IS HERE!!! now to get very happy... :D

Enjoy! The only thing closer than Hangsen to real tobacco flavor is juice made from real tobacco which we call NET (Naturally Extracted Tobacco). Unfortunately, NET is hard on wicks/coils and is best enjoyed using RBAs.

Reactions: mamabear15

1vapeatatime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
Nevada
I have been vaping for about five years, but it was late 2012, September I think, when I had my last cigarette. I say this because that coincides with the time I started DIYing.There were nowhere near the amount of flavors we have today. I remember buying TFA's, and Flavor West's offerings first. They were horrid, as was FlavorArt. Then I joined ECF. I fiddled around largely with vendor juices because my own mixes were pretty bad.
But I learned, and am still learning. Every now and then I get some Casablanca from BWB, and some Dark Horse from Heathers, but for the most part I vape(and very happily so) my own stuff.
I love Inawera, Hangsen, FlavourArt(which I eventually learned to like), MolinBerry, One on One, German Flavors, Jungle...etc.
I cannot say I vape anything tobacco-wise from Flavor West, or TPA/TFA as standalones, but I find them useful in my blends, especially FW's Fire Cured which is absolutely foul on its own.
Do I have a favorite? I don't know I play with everything.
I think the bubble I was in burst for me when I stopped 2 things.
1.- I was trying to mimic cigarettes.....not happening.
2.- I tried cloning the vendors stuff
Things started tasting better when I went my own way.
The Red you mention I add to my mellow mixes, maybe a drop per 05mls, but I don't like it by itself.
The Western and Cowboy are one and the same. TFA changed the name. This one is actually vapable as a standalone, but not the Greatest. Cubano I didn't like, And I never vape RY4s 'cause I don't like them, but none of them ever tasted like menthol to me. It may be a packaging issue.
I get my flavors from Bull City, Vapers Tek, and from ECX when I'm not ...... at them, so I don't know how your supplier packs their flavorings.
Shop the different brands. If you like tobacco then Hangsen and Inawera will knock you socks off.

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
Another thing I will add is remember ,if you smoked, it may take some time for all your taste buds to recover I went from 2% of a tobacco flavoring that now after a year of DIYing I can only use at .1%. So consider lowering the amount of flavoring if it seems really bad to you - you may be surprised. :2c: :vapor:

jcglz26

Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Wyoming, MI
Sorry for using your post but I'm in a big trouble since I promised to my brother to mix some juices for him and since I'm a all creamy/milky/dessert fan he's not. He wants tobacco flavors and some red bull or red cola. I was like seriously? I can mix something good like strawberry cream or vanilla crust.... I couldn't change his mind haha

The good thing is that I know he's been vaping hangsen liquids so I want to order two or three of their flavors that I can mix alone without complicate recipes. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Sorry for using your post but I'm in a big trouble since I promised to my brother to mix some juices for him and since I'm a all creamy/milky/dessert fan he's not. He wants tobacco flavors and some red bull or red cola. I was like seriously? I can mix something good like strawberry cream or vanilla crust.... I couldn't change his mind haha

The good thing is that I know he's been vaping hangsen liquids so I want to order two or three of their flavors that I can mix alone without complicate recipes. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I think I can help you there. Read through the below thread. There's plenty of discussion on hangsen tobacco flavors and lots of recipes there as well. The thing is you need to know what your brother likes so present a few recipes found there to your brother and see if he's interested if so then mix away.

Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:
Reactions: jcglz26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread