Tobacco laws: California Assembly votes to raise smoking age, regulate e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
By Jessica Calefati, jcalefati@bayareanewsgroup.com

SACRAMENTO --" After months of uncertainty, the state Assembly on Thursday approved a package of sweeping tobacco control bills that would increase the legal smoking age from 18 to 21 and regulate the manufacture and sale of electronic cigarettes for the first time."

Tobacco laws: California Assembly votes to raise smoking age, regulate e-cigarettes
What are the new rules that "regulate the manufacture and sale of electronic cigarettes for the first time"? And did they keep this final special session meeting date and time secret beforehand?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My understanding is 18-20 year olds in active military service are exempt from the restrictions. So if you are a teenager who want to stop smoking and switch to vaping you need to join the military. I think they need to test their water in California for lead. May be it is the water after all.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
My understanding is 18-20 year olds in active military service are exempt from the restrictions. So if you are a teenager who want to stop smoking and switch to vaping you need to join the military. I think they need to test their water in California for lead. May be it is the water after all.
They should also exempt teens who have been certified as responsible enough to recognize the potential danger to themselves and others in driving a car, and trusted to do it with a keen eye on safety. A driver's license would prove certification at point of sale.

Reactions: DC2

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
SBX2-5 also includes no smoking or vaping in a motor vehicle with minors.

"118948.
(a) It is unlawful for a person to smoke a tobacco product in a motor vehicle, whether in motion or at rest, in which there is a minor.
(b) For purposes of this section, “smoke” has the same meaning as in subdivision (c) of Section 22950.5 of the Business and Professions Code.
(c) For purposes of this section, “tobacco product” means a product or device as defined in subdivision (d) of Section 22950.5 of the Business and Professions Code.
(d) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100) for each violation."
It is unclear to me if this is for private motor vehicles or commercial vehicles where smoking
may be permitted (private owner?) but, a child may be present.
Regards
Mike
Bill Text - SBX2-5 Electronic cigarettes.

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
And did they keep this final special session meeting date and time secret beforehand?

Good question.

They failed twice before, the last time during a special session also, but we all knew that they wouldn't give up. Gov. Moonbeam needs the money desperately. Dirty tricks.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
May be it is the water after all.

There's not much water left in California to test... :facepalm:

It's a budget shortfall.

"The regulation of e-cigarettes also sounded good to the 23-year-old San Jose jeweler and music producer.
"I hate to say it," Baker said, "but they should be regulating everything people take into their bodies."

The new generation.....

Last edited:

cj081283

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2015
I definitely made sure to email. Anyone know how this would apply to online orders? And just to make sure I'm i n line here's what I emailed.

""Hi,
My name is (blank) and I'm writing to you in opposition to Bill SBX2-5. There has been no long term studies showing damage or any negative effects associated with nicotine by itself. All the research done thus far have actually showed that nicotine by itself as being no more harmful then caffeine.

The fact is, that personal vaporizers are more of a smoking cessation device then a tobacco product. Nicotine can be obtained from a variety of different sources and not just tobacco plants. By the logic the California government is putting into place, then nicotine gum such as Nicorette or nicotine patches should be considered a tobacco product as well, not just vaporizers.

I'm okay with regulating the products so that they aren't being sold to minors as well as not being able to vape anywhere where smoking isn't permitted. However, what you're attempting to do will make sure that hundreds of thousands of people in the state of California won't even attempt to try and quit smoking using a vaporizer, which is the only way a large of majority of people who used to smoke were able to stop the habit, myself included, even after trying various other forms of smoke cessation products such as nicorette and the patches, and with both of them I went out and bought a pack of smokes the next day.

So I urge you to do what's in the best interest of the people of your state and not deem vaporizers as a tobacco product because that would be detrimental to the health of hundreds of thousands of people."

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Reactions: Katya

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
"The regulation of e-cigarettes also sounded good to the 23-year-old San Jose jeweler and music producer.
"I hate to say it," Baker said, "but they should be regulating everything people take into their bodies."

The new generation.....

Wow, that pretty much sums up what we're against. It is sad that people are welcoming more and more regulation in their daily lives.

But then again, this is from the mouth of a "jeweler and music producer". What the hell is that?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Wow, that pretty much sums up what we're against. It is sad that people are welcoming more and more regulation in their daily lives.

But then again, this is from the mouth of a "jeweler and music producer". What the hell is that?

To me, it is more if there is going to be Regulations, at What Level of Regulation should there be?

I look at the Food or Beer Industry and see Reasonable Regulations for the Most Part. Basic Sanitation, Lot/Batch Number Tracking, Chain of Custody for Ingredients, etc.

But that Isn't what I'm seeing with most proposed e-Liquids Regulations.

Wearing a Hair Net while inside a Food Packaging plant is One Thing. I can handle that type of Regulation. Requiring a Level 4 Clean Room to mix e-Liquids seems like another. That seems like Picking Flowers with a Blu-88.

And I question some Regulations as just a Way to Drive Small Business out of the Market. Leaving only BT and BV.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away
So I went down to the sacred store
Where I'd heard the music years before
But the man there said the music wouldn't play

And in the streets, the children screamed
The lovers cried and the poets dreamed
But not a word was spoken
The church bells all were broken

And the three men I admire most
The Father, Son and the Holy Ghost
They caught the last train for the coast
The Day the Music Died

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
I'm so very glad I moved out of that state full of greedy money-grubbing social control freaks! At some point I fully expect them to start billing Californians for oxygen and taxing them for exhaled CO2.
That was proposed and a prototype back pack meter was drawn up to measure oxygen intake back when Regan was gov.

Reactions: DC2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread