Tobacco laws: California Assembly votes to raise smoking age, regulate e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
No Worries Kat.

If you are like Me, you probably have had about 19 Tabs Opened every time you are Online since 5-5-16.

Yeah.
smiley26.gif

It's just so terribly disappointing, The whole thing. This government, our disappearing freedoms, the abuse of power by our elected officials--everywhere.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

The tax increase would apply to electronic cigarettes and other products with tobacco or nicotine.

BTW - This is one of the Few Times when e-Cigarettes being Lumped into Combustible tobacco might work in Our Favor.

Because there will be Backlash from Smokers. So at Least we Don't have to go this one Alone.

Reactions: Lessifer

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah.
smiley26.gif

It's just so terribly disappointing, The whole thing. This government, our disappearing freedoms, the abuse of power by our elected officials--everywhere.

I think maybe 2016 will be the Year that Many People start to See just what Government has become.

What with a 21+ in 2 States, the FDA, and Presidential Election which is Beyond a Circus.

:facepalm:

Reactions: Katya

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I read somewhere the other day that ~75% of CA populations supports higher taxes on tobacco. I don't know where this number came from, but it is being quoted frequently in the media.

From what I'm hearing, It Isn't Looking Good that it Won't Pass.

Reactions: Katya

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
I read somewhere the other day that ~75% of CA populations supports higher taxes on tobacco. I don't know where this number came from, but it is being quoted frequently in the media.
A quick Google says we have about 28+ million adults, and 14% in Cali smoke - if we also have/had around 2 million vapers, that would total close to 25% - 75% are probably all the non smokers/vapers? It's been my experience that this demographic has a "Sure! why not? Doesn't affect me!" attitude about adding taxes to cigs.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
A quick Google says we have about 28+ million adults, and 14% in Cali smoke - if we also have/had around 2 million vapers, that would total close to 25% - 75% are probably all the non smokers/vapers? It's been my experience that this demographic has a "Sure! why not? Doesn't affect me!" attitude about adding taxes to cigs.

Alas.

First they came for the Catholics...

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
:facepalm:

I give up. They are going to create a huge black market.
Maybe that's their plan.
A nephew of mine said he wanted to quit smoking, and after hearing what the FDA did, figured I'd know how to access the black market he'll need.

Sad, huh?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
But why? There's no money for the government to be made from black market. Just additional law enforcement expenses. This is asinine. Make things legal, tax them fairly and you'll get your revenue. :facepalm:
It's like they don't even consider the business taxes, wage taxes, and sales taxes that would come from a thriving industry.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
A nephew of mine said he wanted to quit smoking, and after hearing what the FDA did, figured I'd know how to access the black market he'll need.

Sad, huh?

Tell him to join the fight instead. It's not over.

Join CASAA today.

Become a CASAA Member

It' free, but if you can donate, please do so:

Donate to CASAA

Tell your story.

How You Can Help

Contact your representatives in Congress and your Senators and ask them to support HR 2058 and the Cole/Bishop amendment to the 2017 Agricultural Appropriations bill.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
But why? There's no money for the government to be made from black market. Just additional law enforcement expenses. This is asinine. Make things legal, tax them fairly and you'll get your revenue. :facepalm:

Does it Have to Make Sense?

As long as a Politian is Toting the Party Line, and possible Improving their Chances of Re-Election, does it Matter if California is Going to Hell in a Hand Basket?

Not trying to be Snarky. But Unfortunately, this how Many in Sacramento (and DC!) think.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
It's like they don't even consider the business taxes, wage taxes, and sales taxes that would come from a thriving industry.
This is California. The government here hates industry. If they need more tax revenue, they just increase the income and/or sales tax to squeeze more money out of the few of us left who have been able to keep a full-time job amidst the mass exodus of companies from the state.

EDIT: Oh, I foresee the proposition passing by a landslide. I never underestimate the California voter stupidity in taxing themselves willingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread