Told I had not really quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTX

Aug 23, 2010
Texas
then you'd merely be like an alcoholic grabbing mouthwash or nyquil just like i made reference to in my previous post. it's not different. i still say u'r a nicoholic (or some sort of holic for the thing in u'r hand that i don't know) rather than a smoker. if there was a different working and viable alternative i'm sure u'd use that before a cigarette too.

if i was going to call myself a smoker, i'd still smoke and deserve to be ostracized as a smoker.

Deserve to be ostracized? That's ....***t, period. I can think of MANY bad habits others engage in that have EQUALLY bad health effects, so maybe we should just create a long list of things considered bad for you, and then ostracize all that engage in them. Look, I understood getting kicked out doors so others wouldn't be exposed to 2nd hand smoke. It DOES harm them, and I have no right to do that. But there comes a point that it's silly - not in OUTDOOR parks, not in various other places where there is clearly no harm to others. THAT is ostracization, and it's just wrong, end of story.

DemonCowboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Florida, US
Deserve to be ostracized? That's ....***t, period. I can think of MANY bad habits others engage in that have EQUALLY bad health effects, so maybe we should just create a long list of things considered bad for you, and then ostracize all that engage in them. Look, I understood getting kicked out doors so others wouldn't be exposed to 2nd hand smoke. It DOES harm them, and I have no right to do that. But there comes a point that it's silly - not in OUTDOOR parks, not in various other places where there is clearly no harm to others. THAT is ostracization, and it's just wrong, end of story.

well i called it that because there were places i lived where i couldn't smoke in my own damn house, and i called that ostracization. and seeing as it was 2nd hand smoke they had the right since it was bad for them and it was my smoking not theirs so i kind of deserved it. that's the view i had on it. but now i am not a smoker, i vape holding my newborn niece and there's no problems and my 14mo old nephew thinks it's all kinds of neat if i blow vape into bubbles (try it u'll see what i mean - it really is kind of kewl to watch)

MacTX

Aug 23, 2010
Texas
I don't know, I just think we're on a bad slippery slope that leads to ridiculous ends. This, that and the other is bad for you or for someone else in some way, and that which makes us uniquely human ends up making us afraid of our own shadows. The days when smoking in a restaurant was up to the business owner, smoking in a residence was up to the tenants, having a 1/4 pound burger every day for lunch if you felt like it - somehow, those were days that made better sense. Now, this or that harms you or someone else in some way, health care costs go up, etc. etc. - there are always numerous reasons to tell us we can't do any number of things. There always will be. I just feel that sense of "humanity" slowly slipping away I guess, and it saddens and angers me at the same time.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
My standard reply is "Think what you will, besides if I gave up everything that MIGHT be bad for me and lived an extra 15 years, I'd hate you, myself and anyone else who made me live such a miserable 15 years." At taht point the just shrug and walk off - end of argument. I'm happy doing what I do, they don't like it, then they don't have to be around me.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
We are still addicts, and that's what they see.

But i don't care. I love vaping.

I think that is the jist of it right there. They are more likely card-carrying members of The Moral Police, and feel it is their duty to "save" the world.
However, someone else pointed out a brillant solution .... Ask if they still drink beer/wine/alchohol and point out the obvious similarities. If they still give you a hard time ... Move on. They can't be saved from themselves ;) and no sense upsetting yourself!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I started using an e-cig over 18 months ago, from first day no more SMOKE, but I still hear "you're still sucking on that thing?" and it makes me furious. First of all there's no connection between some nicotine in some vegetable glycerine and burning a paper filled with tobacco and 4000 other chemicals and the resulting tars.
So there's no winning the debate...just say, yes, I'm so glad I made the switch from SMOKE to just nicotine.
You may be encouraged to hear my "usage" has continuously led me downwards from addicted to healthy, and more than that, less vaping as well.
I don't see that as a failure!
Everywhere we go there's a "NO SMOKING" ban in place. Stealth vaping has preserved my seat at the bar more than once very nicely. I think it's also preserved my life, thanks very much!!

humarock

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2010
MA
I got really upset yesterday when someone told me that I had not quit smoking because I vape. Their reasoning was that I still used nicotine. This person does not have a problem with the patch, the lozengers, or the gum; yet my vaping is not quitting. I explain that cigs have hundreds of other ingredients and that I can gradually lower the nicotine.

Why is it okay to put on a patch of nicotine or chew it, but not vape it.:glare: I haven't had a cigarette in two weeks which means I haven't smoked in two weeks. So there.

Don't let that person rain on your parade, be PROUD of yourself....you are 3,997 chemicals less EVERYTIME you vape....THAT is amazing in itself....I think even if I got down to 0mg of nic, I would STILL vape, I like it, I like the taste on alot of the juices...I like the vapor, I liked smoking, just didn't like the smoke and the smell and the chemicals....not for nothing, but this is a MILESTONE in your life, so POOP to that other person, you just smile and KNOW that you have changed your life, that you are healthier and it is only the 'ignorance' of those that don't know any better, they don't have any education on the subject. They see it as the 'habit' of 'smoking' is still there...well....if you stopped drinking caffeine and you switched to decaf coffee instead did you really quit? LOL...same thing right? VAPE ON vaper friend...VAPE ON and CONGRATS ON BEING SMOKE FREE!

fritos1

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2010
cleveland
I got really upset yesterday when someone told me that I had not quit smoking because I vape. Their reasoning was that I still used nicotine. This person does not have a problem with the patch, the lozengers, or the gum; yet my vaping is not quitting. I explain that cigs have hundreds of other ingredients and that I can gradually lower the nicotine.

Why is it okay to put on a patch of nicotine or chew it, but not vape it.:glare: I haven't had a cigarette in two weeks which means I haven't smoked in two weeks. So there.

My ex girlfriend use too give me this same bs and as you can see this was one of many reasons why she is my ex girlfriend.

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma

For those of you who want to believe that SHS is harmful...so be it. For those who might have some questions about it, here are a couple of links for you:

The Second-Hand Smoke Charade | Dominick Armentano | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

http://kuneman.smokersclub.com/PASAN/StilettoGenv5h.pdf

arguablybetter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
Atlanta
my only ego battery died last week - i bought a new one from a local supplier 6 hours later, but i actually ran out to the store when the battery died and bought a pack of smokes - in the 6hours i didn't have a PV, i smoked ONE analog, which was lit as i was leaving the gas station with the pack. i don't even think i wanted a cigarette, i think i was scared of what would happen when i had "nothing to to turn to" so i irrationally bought a pack of smokes - i've smoked two more this week but only when my battery is on the charger and i couldn't even finish them. i feel i am only smoking them cause they cost so GD much it would be stupid to let them stale.
Anyway, the point is, i have only been vaping for 3 weeks. when i smoked analogs, everywhere i would go i would "steal away" somewhere to smoke my dirty little habit, and if there was no place available, i couldn't stop thinking about finding one. with the vaporizer, i am breaking down this feeling. i don't have "nic fits" , i just vape when its convenient. sure, i bought the pack, but can't even see myself smoking all 20 in a month even (used to smoke 1.5 packs/day), and i bought the pack out of the panic emotions. I figure, another few weeks, and i probably would have had the sense to wait for a new battery. Vaping is not only more enjoyable to me but it is literally breaking down my mental addiction - my brain is confused and just wants analogs because its had analogs for 15 years....pretty cool to be my own lab rat - i talked to another friend who vaped for 6 mos then stopped altogether, no vape, no analogs. He said after 6 mos of vaping he just didn't even care anymore - it seems for some people, vaping "tricks" your brain out of addiction..

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
I never want to quit using nicotine because I adore it... I've been vaping for over a year and use my hookah maybe once a month or less... On I still grab a ciggie once in a while, but then I choke myself silly...

I'll stop using nicotine when the nicotine nazis get off everyone's backs!!! Who says they have the right to tell us what to do?? Where do they "think" their lives are so much better than our's?? Far as I'm concerned I enjoy my life just the way it is and I do not care what anyone else thinks while they eat a killed animal on their plates and tell me I'm the "wrong" one...

Stu

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Queens, NY
I said it before on a different thread, but will say it again. Are you a "traditional" smoker? NO, but I still feel we are ALL smokers still. As long as we use a device to heat nicotine to inhale, we are smoking. You guys can try to make it all pretty like, but the fact is, we are still smokers.

Ask yourself a question, if tommorow, you woke up, ALL of your juice was gone, no way to get more, all of your PV's gone....would you go to the store a buy a pack of smokes? This question has been asked before, and most said yes, they would go buy a pack of cigarettes. So we really havent beat the smoking thing yet, we have just found a new way to do it.

Now as far as the patch, gum and pills, I also feel as long as you use them, you are a smoker. Same question, if ya ran out of pills,patches or gum, would you buy a pack of smokes? More than likely, the answer is yes, or you wouldnrt need those items.

Do I think its safer? dont know, but I feel better. Is it cheaper? Not yet, at least for me. Am I still a smoker? absolutely.

I guess I think in black/white and most others think in gray. The gray way of thinking is, well we arent lighting up a traditional cigarette, so we must be ex-smokers. In a black and white world, we still use an electronic device to inhale/exhale, so we are smoking, just a new fancy and hopefully safer way. The "second hand smoke" has almost been removed, so thats better for others around us. The stink of burning a cigarette, has been replaced with sweet candy and bakery smells, so thats also good. But fact is, we still smoke.

Let the flaming begin.

I still have to disagree with this. Honestly, if I woke up tomorrow and ALL of my vaping supplies were gone, I would NOT go buy a pack of cigarettes! I don't crave cigarettes anymore. Maybe you need to tell yourself that you're still smoking for some other reason but I'm no longer a smoker. Haven't touched a cigarette in over a year now. Yes, I still use nicotine but I find myself lowering the level without trying.

I'm not mad at you for your opinion at all. You're entitled to your own. But SMOKING is burning.

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Since everyone thinks differently, if anyone wants to believe that they are still a smoker although they are not smoking an analog and instead using an e-ciggie so be it, that's their life.. I'm just wondering how someone could think that.. It's like saying someone taking oxygen is smoking since they are inhaling oxygen from an oxygen mask...

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
My :2c::
No matter how much we'd like to believe it is, nothing in life is black & white; everything is gray.

For those that haven't discovered the Beauty of Gray, here it is in B&W terms: some people smoke, some people vape, some do both. One who only smokes is not a vaper, therefore one who only vapes cannot be a smoker.

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
My :2c::
No matter how much we'd like to believe it is, nothing in life is black & white; everything is gray.

For those that haven't discovered the Beauty of Gray, here it is in B&W terms: some people smoke, some people vape, some do both. One who only smokes is not a vaper, therefore one who only vapes cannot be a smoker.

^5's to Scott for that.. He said it all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread