Tooth Decay Enamel Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ella_G

Jan 30, 2016
Hi All,

A 3 year vaper here... and I absolutely love it. I thought all health effects were minor. Very sadly, its Clearly done a number on my teeth. 3 of my teeth on the right side where I vape are decaying terribly! There's a white film where the calcium is being leeched from my teeth, and across all teeth - the enamel is dull and no longer shiny and pretty.

Next week, I am going in for an emergency fix with my dentist to cost ~$750 for the repair.

I am posting this so everyone else is aware.

Some other details 1.) yes, I do vape "sugary" flavors mostly around the 50/50 pg/vg range 2.) it might be the sugar causing this - I'm not sure. 3.) maybe companies could make a sugar-free flavor? 4.) I wish I didn't have to quit - but I'm really scared for my teeth's sake.. moving to 3mg immediately (from 12) in hopes of quitting soon.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I've been vaping for almost 5 years, all kinds of flavors and haven't gotten a single cavity. Ella-G what is your diet like? Do you drink soda? Sugar in your coffee? Suck on mints or hard candy? Were you prone to cavities as a child or before you ever vaped? Do you brush and floss your teeth daily? My point is that there are lots of factors to consider before you blame vaping.

Reactions: defdock

cmgww

Jan 19, 2010
Indianapolis
I quit cigs after about 10 years of smoking, on May 31st 2012. Vaped before that, but finally got the right setup and gave up analogs. Haven't had teeth issues, but my lower left gums are receding. I had to have a gum graft procedure...not fun. They take a piece off the roof of your mouth and graft it over the erosion. No hard foods for a week and you have to wear a goofy "Invisalign" looking protector while the stitches are in the roof of your mouth.
But I attribute it to my years of smoking....bc I always smoked out of the left side of my mouth. I work in outside sales and am always in my car. My car is my office, the last office you can still smoke in. Thus the left side smoking. No issues since gaping, but I only vape non-flavored also....I think other factors may be at play here, FMMV

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Hi All,

A 3 year vaper here... and I absolutely love it. I thought all health effects were minor. Very sadly, its Clearly done a number on my teeth. 3 of my teeth on the right side where I vape are decaying terribly! There's a white film where the calcium is being leeched from my teeth, and across all teeth - the enamel is dull and no longer shiny and pretty.

Next week, I am going in for an emergency fix with my dentist to cost ~$750 for the repair.

I am posting this so everyone else is aware.

Some other details 1.) yes, I do Vape "sugary" flavors mostly around the 50/50 pg/vg range 2.) it might be the sugar causing this - I'm not sure. 3.) maybe companies could make a sugar-free flavor? 4.) I wish I didn't have to quit - but I'm really scared for my teeth's sake.. moving to 3mg immediately (from 12) in hopes of quitting soon.

Very few eliquids have "sugar" in them. It burns too easily on the coils. Sweeteners are not sugar that would decay your teeth.
If anything, possibly vaping in one spot "might" do some damage due to the heat from the vapor. Easy fix, train yourself to not point your drip tip on to your teeth.

Otherwise, you did know that eliquids contain the same main ingredients as most mouthwashes, right?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Not Appropriate - Rules

nancybout

ECF Veteran
I vaping 2 years and my teeth are whiter and less drama, than when smoking.
I drink less coffee than before and more water.
I think it's more every person has different affects.
I get scalp eczema with higher PG levels...so there's my experience lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
I vaping 2 years and my teeth are whiter and less drama, than when smoking.
I drink less coffee than before and more water.
I think it's more every person has different affects.
I get scalp eczema with higher PG levels...so there's my experience lol

Interesting, I have scalp eczema too but I never tied it to high PG. I use high PG juices and I never had eczema before I started vaping. It makes sense too, since PG dries out your mouth it would probably dry out your skin too.

Last edited:
Reactions: nancybout

nancybout

ECF Veteran
Yep Pg dries out my scalp totally! Bumps and annoying lol
I upped my VG content and whalla it went away! I am at 70Vg to Max VG
Grab a lot of Poland Spring snd drink it! When vaping a lot of water should be consumed ... However I still recommend upping the VG

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
Yep Pg dries out my scalp totally! Bumps and annoying lol
I upped my VG content and whalla it went away! I am at 70Vg to Max VG

I tired high VG is the past but what I don't like about is it's heavier on my lungs. I had to use COPD inhalers to help with my breathing.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Another first post health danger warning... Been a lot of these the past couple of days...

I'm seeing a pattern.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
And only one post....never to be seen again.....

Just to add to this thread.......I've been vaping for 5 years and 7 months now, and my teeth have never been in better shape. They are whiter, and there's much less cleaning needed when I go in for my check-ups. My experience. And I know this thread is about teeth, but I'll just add that I smoked for over 40 years, and once I quit, every aspect of my health improved. Every.

cmgww

Jan 19, 2010
Indianapolis
Have you had your blood glucose checked lately?...A1C level?

No I haven't, I need to get into the doc for a good work up. It has been a few years. That said, I exercise regularly and my BP is normal. The dentist agreed that the recession on the lower left side was probably a result of a decade of smoking, as my other gums are healthy and pink. Also, thankfully my throat cancer screenings have all come back negative. But yeah I need to get a physical...thanks for the reminder

Reactions: nancybout

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
No I haven't, I need to get into the doc for a good work up. It has been a few years. That said, I exercise regularly and my BP is normal. The dentist agreed that the recession on the lower left side was probably a result of a decade of smoking, as my other gums are healthy and pink. Also, thankfully my throat cancer screenings have all come back negative. But yeah I need to get a physical...thanks for the reminder

When I was a smoker I had gum recession too. Dentist said it was due to the heat from cigarettes. He said I needed $2,000 in gum surgery to fix them. Instead I quit smoking and started vaping and my gums returned back to healthy and my teeth were nice and white but over the years vaping started to cause lot of cavities in my teeth and over time I had to get my teeth pulled and get dentures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread