Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I try. Alongside me is the little day list pad and then on the far left is the ongoing list. :shock:

Then each project has its own little list of tasks. :shock::shock:

Then the shopping list :shock::shock::shock:

The list lives on :p
I'm at least that bad. I no longer have 2 Day Runners tho, one for work & another for RL.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
I only have one set of batts with me, but have a total of 6 purchased since March. I have 6 more that I bought last year. I checked the ones I have with me & in the dark roomn using the light from my tablet, the ring is dull, & not shiny or reflective at all. And they have a noticably rough texture when scraped with a fingernail. These have a clear label. I'll check the others when I get home. I know I got some from VNW. I number my single batts & my married pairs are alphabetized. I always write the coresponding # or letters on my receipts so I'll know where they came from should something (like this) happen.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

Yours are ok then. The fake ones have unmistakably shiny/smooth insulators, you would know right away if not.

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
I got a new charger today its the Nitecore UM20. They are 14.99 at 101 vape on sale, Grimm Green did a blurb about them in one of his Vlog's awhile back and he said his was great. So far I have to agree with him. It is a 1amp per lane charger providing you have a 2amp input source. It automatically throttles down to .500ma for smaller cells such as 18350/16340 etc. There is a spring in each lane which comes into contact with the slider when inserting a larger cell (18650) which tells it to charge at 1amp, or if no contact is made .500ma. You can also charge a phone or other device while charging battery's. It does this with a USB port hidden in a compartment in the base. It is very small and would be a great travel charger or as I am using it a companion to a 2 lane Nitecore Intellicharger.

b5qkmfI.jpg

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Time no longer rules my life. Now if I could only stop writing lists :p
Lists can help you sleep, knowing that you don't have to try to remember things. But, they can also cause stress when you have too many lists and start to lose track of them

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
I got a new charger today its the Nitecore UM20. They are 14.99 at 101 Vape on sale, Grimm Green did a blurb about them in one of his Vlog's awhile back and he said his was great. So far I have to agree with him. It is a 1amp per lane charger providing you have a 2amp input source. It automatically throttles down to .500ma for smaller cells such as 18350/16340 etc. There is a spring in each lane which comes into contact with the slider when inserting a larger cell (18650) which tells it to charge at 1amp, or if no contact is made .500ma. You can also charge a phone or other device while charging battery's. It does this with a USB port hidden in a compartment in the base. It is very small and would be a great travel charger or as I am using it a companion to a 2 lane Nitecore Intellicharger.

b5qkmfI.jpg
So it does give a good 1A charge! I thought about getting the Single bay for charging certain 18650's but didn't know if the Nitecore I was looking at would put out 1A, this is the first iv heard of the 18650 tripping the charger to 1A and I read a ton!! lol

I ended up just getting an Xtar MC1 Plus.. Plain Jain little charger but works! :)

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
So it does give a good 1A charge! I thought about getting the Single bay for charging certain 18650's but didn't know if the Nitecore I was looking at would put out 1A, this is the first iv heard of the 18650 tripping the charger to 1A and I read a ton!! lol

I ended up just getting an Xtar MC1 Plus.. Plain Jain little charger but works! :)

Yah its a good charger and I checked the reviews on it before buying and it all checked out. The only thing is that I forgot to add is the reviewers said it charged about .05 to .10 volts short of 4.20 and this is the case. One lane charged to 4.16 and the other to 4.10 which I am completely ok with. That little bit I can live without for charging at 1amp. The price sure did not hurt either :)

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
Yah its a good charger and I checked the reviews on it before buying and it all checked out. The only thing is that I forgot to add is the reviewers said it charged about .05 to .10 volts short of 4.20 and this is the case. One lane charged to 4.16 and the other to 4.10 which I am completely ok with. That little bit I can live without for charging at 1amp. The price sure did not hurt either :)
Rather under-charge then over-charge like some! I believe that one just came out when I was looking for that kinda style charger. Looks like a good build for a portable charger. 4.15V isn't bad at all and wouldn't bother me one bit, my Xtar VP4 will stop at 4.15V sometimes, really depends on how long(As in maybe an hour) you let it sit after its done charging. Never had one stop at 4.10V so idk but I dont think it would bother me that much either.. ;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm pretty sure the coils that came in my Dripbox are Nichrome as well. It was a pop master also! Much better with Kanthal, and raising the coils to get some air flow around them!
So you can't dry burn Ti wire? I'm as fresh as fresh gets with this TC stuff, so I'm trying to learn it quickly! Or at least have a basic understanding of it, before my mod gets here.
Speaking of, talked to my friend early this am, haven't had much sleep, and I've got the silver one and a Theorum on the way now. I've heard mention of the SS version, but like I say, I sure can't find one!
People are starting to complain about oxidation on them already, I may just take the silly thing apart and powder coat it! I've now learned how to do that with cast bullets (another story) so I don't think it would be that hard to do it to this mod!

Titanium wire degrades if you dry burn it. Wipe it with alcohol to remove any oil or other substances. I do the same with SS316L these days.

I do dry burn Kanthal to take out the springiness and make it easier to coil, but I only take it to a dull glow. Don't let any wire get bright cherry red. When you start to see it begin to glow, stop and pulse it again. It's the same with dry burning to clean. When it starts smoking the juice and crud it's hot enough. Dunk it under the sink tap to cool it and repeat. Rub it lightly with a finger after the water dunk to remove crust and repeat until it's clean.

You should see a silvery Alumina coating on your wire. That coating is created by light annealing and protects the wire from further oxidation.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I stopped wearing my watch a few weeks after I retired.

Time no longer rules my life. Now if I could only stop writing lists :p

Don't write, enter those into your phone app. Before I retired I used to carry memo lists in my pocket. Now, I use an Android app called "To Do Reminder".

We should all have Sheldon's eidetic memory.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
FWIW, I've found that batteries I take off charge before bedtime that are at 4.0v or so magically hit full charge during the night. I put them back on my Luc 4 in the morning and they immediately register full charge. It's an electro-chemical process that occurs where charge is distributed evenly as they sit idle, I guess. The proper term is full saturation level.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
Full charge occurs when the battery reaches the voltage threshold and the current drops to 3 percent of the rated current. A battery is also considered fully charged if the current levels off and cannot go down further. Elevated self-discharge might be the cause of this condition.

Increasing the charge current does not hasten the full-charge state by much. Although the battery reaches the voltage peak quicker, the saturation charge will take longer accordingly. With higher current, Stage 1 is shorter but the saturation during Stage 2 will take longer. A high current charge will, however, quickly fill the battery to about 70 percent.

Li-ion does not need to be fully charged as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge because a high voltage stresses the battery. Choosing a lower voltage threshold or eliminating the saturation charge altogether, prolongs battery life but this reduces the runtime. Chargers for consumer products go for maximum capacity and cannot be adjusted; extended service life is perceived less important.

Last edited:

sorrynomore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Canada
I got a new charger today its the Nitecore UM20. They are 14.99 at 101 Vape on sale, Grimm Green did a blurb about them in one of his Vlog's awhile back and he said his was great. So far I have to agree with him. It is a 1amp per lane charger providing you have a 2amp input source. It automatically throttles down to .500ma for smaller cells such as 18350/16340 etc. There is a spring in each lane which comes into contact with the slider when inserting a larger cell (18650) which tells it to charge at 1amp, or if no contact is made .500ma. You can also charge a phone or other device while charging battery's. It does this with a USB port hidden in a compartment in the base. It is very small and would be a great travel charger or as I am using it a companion to a 2 lane Nitecore Intellicharger.

b5qkmfI.jpg

I have the single bay version of this (UM10),bought it as a back up for my Xstar MC1.
I haven't had a chance to put it into service yet as the Xstar is still working fine and has been used daily for the last year.

I have tested the Nitecore and mine charges to 4.14v,which is fine with me.My Xstar goes to 4.19v.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have the single bay version of this (UM10),bought it as a back up for my Xstar MC1.
I haven't had a chance to put it into service yet as the Xstar is still working fine and has been used daily for the last year.

I have tested the Nitecore and mine charges to 4.14v,which is fine with me.My Xstar goes to 4.19v.

If you let them sit overnight after charging you will probably find that the voltage rises to 4.2v, anyway.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Don't write, enter those into your phone app. Before I retired I used to carry memo lists in my pocket. Now, I use an Android app called "To Do Reminder".

I don't use a mobile phone. ROFL

I live in an area that has minimal coverage so there is no point.

Last edited:

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina

He forgot his Flashdrive once.... lol

Xtar's tend to stop at 4.19V on most models. Which is a good thing if you want more cycles out of your batteries, I have pulled 18650's off my Efest LUC V4 and my Fluke DMM read 4.27V every once in a while. Most Chargers Specs say they charge to 4.20V with an accuracy of -.5/+.5 Which isn't bad unless it goes over 4.3V! :w00t:

I use the Xtar MC1 Plus for the 18650's for my Single 18650 Mods when my other chargers are charging up all the miserable Married ones lol It works great! :thumb:

sorrynomore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Canada
...Xtar's tend to stop at 4.19V on most models. Which is a good thing if you want more cycles out of your batteries, I have pulled 18650's off my Efest LUC V4 and my Fluke DMM read 4.27V every once in a while. Most Chargers Specs say they charge to 4.20V with an accuracy of -.5/+.5 Which isn't bad unless it goes over 4.3V! :w00t:

I use the Xtar MC1 Plus for the 18650's for my Single 18650 Mods when my other chargers are charging up all the miserable Married ones lol It works great! :thumb:...

My Xstar gets used every day with 4 18650 batts in rotation (2 MXJO 3000mah20amp & 2 Samsung 30Q 3000mah20amp) and has not let me down yet.I'm quite pleased with this tiny little charger that cost a mere $6.99 plus tax.

OOPS...the Xstar was purchased in 2014 ....sooo... it's just about 2 years old now and still going strong.
I hope I just didn't jinx myself my saying ^ :)

Users who are viewing this thread