Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada
When I first started making my own coils I found it uber frustrating.Sometimes the coil looked great but the resistance was all wrong,I'd try again to find the coil looked like complete crap but the resistance was where I wanted it.A few times I just wanted to throw it all out the window.

Over time and finding out about the steam engine site things just got better.I made my own coil jig from a few pieces of hardwood with a hole drilled into it to accept my nail mandrels held in by a set screw.
Now I make coils when needed and it takes maybe around 15 to 20 minutes from ripping out the old to making a new one and having it installed in my KF clones ready for filling.

It may be a chore to do BUT for me it's not an unlikeable one.

On a side note....I'm finding the switch to 2mg nicotine a lot more tolerable than the 4mg and can vape as much as I did before :)

Wrapping a piece of wire around something is the easy part. Mounting and wicking are the hard part. By the time i am done the coil looks like a knot.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Just do yourself a favor an order the Samsung 30Q's till all these bad HG2's disappear, the 30Q's have the same ratings.

Actually...the 30Q's have slightly better specs than the HG2's.

The HG2 and 30Q are both 3000mAh...

and...the HG2 and 30Q (when tested by Mooch) both have an actual CDR of 20A...

BUT...the MCA of the HG2 is 20A vs. a MCA of the 30Q of 25A...

[click on SMALL chart at bottom of page:]

18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
FWIW, www.HoosierEcig.com has the SS316 EHPro Kayfun 3.1 on sale for $15.99 clearance. They also have the iStick 40W w/ temperature control on sale for $33.99. I bought two Kayfuns and an iStick 40W TC. Woo Hoo!

My old 20W iStick is looking really old and the threads are getting worn and rough, even after cleaning. It was time for a new one. With the FDA playing with our vaping rights I need to stock up on plenty of mods and tanks. You can never have enough or too much vaping gear.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Nice!
I always wanted one of their Scope Meters.
fluke_124b_s_.jpg

I carried a Fluke 87 in my briefcase toolbag for many years at work. I always enjoyed Fluke products. The o-scope feature is nice!

When I retired from Xerox I asked my manager about keeping the Fluke 87. His reply was that all I needed to turn in was a meter with a Xerox calibration sticker on it. I forgot to swap them out when I turned in my Van and toolbag. But, that's OK. I still have the Simpson digital I had before they issued Flukes. It's a good meter that I've personally field tested for years!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks @kad2371. Actually looks easier to rebuild than the Kayfun. I find the balancing act of holding the coil in place, wrapping the wire around the post and tightening the screw very hard to do on the Kayfun. Literally took me an hour to connect the coil after taking about two minutes to wrap it. Re-wicking also looks very easy on the CLR.

The trick is to install the coil at right angles to the connection posts so that the wick falls down on either side instead of curling and laying on the deck.

When you install it that way the leads point toward the screws and you just wrap one around and tighten the screw, then do the other. The other trick is to keep the coil on the mandrel and put a finger on the coil while installing it so that it doesn't get malformed or unwound.

Once you do a few it goes really quickly. The first time or two it can feel clumsy. The technical term for that is that it's technique sensitive. :wub:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Wrapping a piece of wire around something is the easy part. Mounting and wicking are the hard part. By the time i am done the coil looks like a knot.
That's where the coil master kit shines! You can take the mandrel out so it's nice and short for hard builds. Keeps the coil wound neatly and let's you twist and position it. I really, really like this setup!
One funeral down, waiting on the call to go pick up the trailer for the move this weekend and my other buddy isn't awake yet! I really want to play with my Pico and Theorum dang it!
Had to go to the local vape shop for more juice before hand. I love Heathers, but don't ever get low! They aren't the fastest at turning around orders!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

I use Koh Gen Do cotton. I cut a piece that's the right size and roll it between my fingers to compress it slightly, then I twist the end tightly to make it small enough to enter the coil easily. The secret to getting it positioned is to rotate the wick slowly as you pull it into the coil. Even a tight wick will slide right into place if you rotate the cotton. Nary a coil is out of place when I'm done.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Yah!

Its pretty cool. Im getting a really nice MTL from the Sophia I have in it. And I have a Billet Bridge I have not tried yet but going to set it up before I go to work.
I have no clue how they work at all. [emoji12] But as long as it works & you get a good vape...whoop!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
It's from VVTF. I think it's a kabuki RBA, but compatible with Nauti. I see a couple on flea-bay, and these folks have a Facebook page....
I sit & wrap a bunch at one time. Usually while watching tv at night. I put them on big safty pens in an Altoid box. I usually have about 10 done at one time. Then don't have to mess with it again for months.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Yeah, It's very frustrating when your fingers aren't steady. I thought I had it whipped numerous times only to see the wire wasn't really captured. Or, the first one was captured then came loose while I was doing the second. I'll get better at it. The good news is, the coil is still working fine after 12 days. It now reads 1.54 ohms instead of 1.42. I tinkered with it a bit to make sure it wasn't making contact with the base, so I figure that changed it some.

Thanks. I'll get it figured out since it appears I won't have a choice down the road. Can't say it's my favorite part of the whole vaping experience, though.
When you get it on the mod & before you wick it, dry fire the coil. Just pulse it. Then check & tighten your screws. Recheck the readings, but that should stabilize the coil.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Ha. Yeah, I thought I was a wicking wizard. The first wick I put in was perfection. Decided to change it when I changed flavors, and it tasted like I was vaping something out of the barn yard. @Kenna had warned me not to over-wick it, but I think that's what I did. Changed to a looser wick, and it was dynamite again.
[emoji12] I told you so!

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
What KF drop in coils?

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

:D

Welcome to the greatest thread in the history of threads! :)

{{{WoofEd}}}

Guys & Gals
I hate to be the bearer of Bad news. I have been checking out the above link regarding the Deeming Regs the FDA wants to put in and it doesn't look good. Looks like they are going to adopt the original rules which will effect any vape product after Feb 2007. I'm just starting to get all the info. I don't know if it's panic time yet but this would basically put vaping in the hands of Big Tobacco!!. I'm going to do more research as we all should do. But this really really SUCKS!!!! :mad::mad::-x:-x

You were the bearer of news. The FDA is the bearer of BAD news. But it's news we alllllllllllllll need to follow, and to be reminded that all of this could disappear very quickly.

Join CASAA. Follow SFATA, the Vaping Militia, and any and all vapers you admire and trust. There are some very interesting ideas, thoughts, and opinions circulating our vape universe.

Think I have it where I want it for now. Sophia V2 1.96ohm's set to some voltage im not sure lol. Found a drip tip that fits its nice pretty pleased. Took a little bit to figure out how to hold and fire the thing, that has to sound silly but its true.

vpbmarY.jpg

Congrats, rhelton! The new B Box is beautiful! You're vaping at 5v from what I see in your pic.

I hope you enjoy the Bridge with the BVC coil. That is by far my fave in the B Box. I was OK with kartos in it for about a year, but when the B Bridge hit the scene, that ended abruptly! Now all of mine are tanked with BVCs. YAAY!

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I carried a Fluke 87 in my briefcase toolbag for many years at work. I always enjoyed Fluke products. The o-scope feature is nice!

When I retired from Xerox I asked my manager about keeping the Fluke 87. His reply was that all I needed to turn in was a meter with a Xerox calibration sticker on it. I forgot to swap them out when I turned in my Van and toolbag. But, that's OK. I still have the Simpson digital I had before they issued Flukes. It's a good meter that I've personally field tested for years!
Very Nice!
I had an Beckman Tech 310 back in the day, served me well for a long time. All I have these days is a cheapie DVM, a Triplett 3022 analog and an old black Amprobe RS-3. ;)

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina

I forgot to reply to that @TrollDragon My Flukes are no where NEAR that side of Quality/Price lol
I wish though!

I used to work on HVAC's and Appliances a lot and the Fluke has always been my favorite brand for Meters and other Testers/Analyzers! I think I payed around $300 for my Fluke 116 7 years ago, which you can get for around $150 now. But that meter did everything I needed to when Working on HVAC's(It is based off the Fluke 115 but more features to suit the HVAC field) and paired with the Fluke 89TK Module along with a 80PK-8 Pipe Clamp, It gave the most Accurate Temperature reading out of any other Thermometer made for that!
Given this is about 8 Year old Equipment, that had very low prices, they performed WAY better than I thought they would!
I wished I could have afforded Flukes very high end equipment, Me and my Dad used to always spend money on tools we didn't need(Wait is there such a thing? Nvm that was my mom yelling at us), but wanted anyway considering how much stuff they good do and how Accurate they were.. :eek::D

As for you @DaveP How could you forget a FLUKE 87?!?! :-x:w00t:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Playing with my Pico Theorum setup tonight. Didn't get my SS wire and not enough juice on hand to try and feed the notch coil, I hear it's thirsty! I built a 1. ohm 26ga Kanthal coil at 4mm id, trying to match the notch and get enough wick for the juice ports.
I love the size of the mod. It's just perfect! I'm on wattage and it keeps jumping around, the resistance has been anywhere from .66 to 1.7 ohms on the mod? I'm trying to run at 13 watts and getting 12.7-12.9?
The Theorum, not sure yet. I can do a quasi MTL, but I have to suck it into my lungs quick. I'm using the side airflow, I've tried wide open to choked off, it's not a tootle puffer. But man is the flavor to die for!
It's a bear to fill, needle bottle or syringe is best, you can bottle fill, but be patient.
I have the SS covered glass on mine, glad I did as I dropped it on gravel, but that makes it hard to see, at least with my old eyes, how much juice is left. And it does not hold much!
I also don't like the way they did the POS connection with the grub screws. It's a machined slot with two screws so you have to hold your tounge right to make sure it's clamped down. I'd have much rather had two holes to capture and clamp down on the wire.
I'll play with it more and try to get pics up Sun evening as I'm swamped right now, I'll also have a better evaluation of both when I get my SS wire and play with the TC some.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I forgot to talk about the drip tip! Yeah, it's beautiful! Love the glass look, but whoever started the trend with stubby dt's, they need a swift kick in the privates! This is stupid! I can't get the thing past my fat lips to get a good seal. Seems like I'm just sucking more air on top of the air from the atty! I guess for lung hitters it's alright, but not my cup of tea.
Did I mention the flavor is increadable?

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Another update, I'm sure by now you are sick of my posts so I'll stop after this.
I tried numerous dt's on the Theorum, they were all very loose, really loose! I took the dt off my Fogger, added an over size o-ring, I can get the size of needed, but that changed everything on this atty! Very nice for MTL hits now. I'll play some more and report back, but for now, it's much better!

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
Playing with my Pico Theorum setup tonight. Didn't get my SS wire and not enough juice on hand to try and feed the notch coil, I hear it's thirsty! I built a 1. ohm 26ga Kanthal coil at 4mm id, trying to match the notch and get enough wick for the juice ports.
I love the size of the mod. It's just perfect! I'm on wattage and it keeps jumping around, the resistance has been anywhere from .66 to 1.7 ohms on the mod? I'm trying to run at 13 watts and getting 12.7-12.9?
The Theorum, not sure yet. I can do a quasi MTL, but I have to suck it into my lungs quick. I'm using the side airflow, I've tried wide open to choked off, it's not a tootle puffer. But man is the flavor to die for!
It's a bear to fill, needle bottle or syringe is best, you can bottle fill, but be patient.
I have the SS covered glass on mine, glad I did as I dropped it on gravel, but that makes it hard to see, at least with my old eyes, how much juice is left. And it does not hold much!
I also don't like the way they did the POS connection with the grub screws. It's a machined slot with two screws so you have to hold your tounge right to make sure it's clamped down. I'd have much rather had two holes to capture and clamp down on the wire.
I'll play with it more and try to get pics up Sun evening as I'm swamped right now, I'll also have a better evaluation of both when I get my SS wire and play with the TC some.
Do you have another tank to put on their to see if it reads the Resistance/Ohms right?

Users who are viewing this thread