Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
I don't know if it's that I'm a slow learner, but it took me probably 40 or more tries to hand-wind a good coil. I thought that since I make jewelry, it'd be a somewhat transferrable skill, but it wasn't. I was getting really discouraged in the beginning because people were saying how quickly they learned to build decent coils, but it took me a while! Just thought you might like to know that!
Its simple with a coil jig that many still use , just allows good simple coils in a quick timely manner

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I'm really getting tired of STM RBAs giving me the "non" reading on ohm meter and "no atomizer" on a mod. Even half of the authentics are no good. I've even tried the circuit board spacers that were suggested and tweaking the bottom pin, tightening screws, etc. I'm just surprised that there's such a high amount of duds , even with authentics!
Ok, rant done!

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Its simple with a coil jig that many still use , just allows good simple coils in a quick timely manner

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Yes, but I wanted to be able to do it without. A personal challenge of sorts

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm really getting tired of STM RBAs giving me the "non" reading on ohm meter and "no atomizer" on a mod. Even half of the authentics are no good. I've even tried the circuit board spacers that were suggested and tweaking the bottom pin, tightening screws, etc. I'm just surprised that there's such a high amount of duds , even with authentics!
    Ok, rant done!
    All my STM rba's are authentic old style. Never had a problem with them.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I have not counted my vape purchases, but if someone's deducting them on their taxes, I'm guessing the husband would want to know about it.... He gets really creative (though legal) with all our deductions, and I'm guessing there's a way to justify it, at least initially, (it's harm reduction, no?) not that we're really in the tax bracket to get audited anytime soon, maybe in the past, what feels like the far past.... Sigh. To be fair, everything is more expensive on the East Coast....

My husband got audited the year he printed all his taxes out (unknowingly) on the back side of transcripts of Clinton's impeachment proceedings that he'd wanted to read. It MAY have been a coincidence, but I'm not thinking it was.... :) Thankfully, I was not part of that experience....

Being audited when you deduct must be so awful, as is the month leading up to them when the Husband demands printouts of every single medical event and prescription over the year.... Oh, I keep mine, he wants to make sure I'm not *missing* stuff. It's not hard (pharmacies and doc offices will give you them) but it is tedious. :)

I too am interested in this "Caravela" but I'm a bit scared to look it up....

Anna

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    Gotta love the grammar of FTs customer service reps! I'm not even exactly sure of what they're saying!
    5df482eb94680a4e816b4b2c37c58c86.jpg

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    STM rba's are simple & problem free, occasionally an insulator fails giving non or inaccurate readings, sometimes folks over tighten stm to ohm checker or power device cause problems, or under tighten rba deck to base.
    Also could be one or both of the o rings on the rba that seal insulate the rba to base get damaged or misplaced.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    STM rba's are simple & problem free, occasionally an insulator fails giving non or inaccurate readings, sometimes they come from folks that over tighten stm to ohm checker or power device, or under tighten rba deck to base.
    Also could be one or both of the o rings on the rba that seal insulate the rba to base get damaged or misplaced.

I tried all permutations of how tight or loose it was screwed. I'll try your o ring suggestion. Thanks!

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    The two on the rba, one at bottom before the threads one larger one at top after threads, the insulator in the base for the 510 positive pin / base body.
    Of course an oring stuck in the base where the rba or head threads in will cause issues like you're having too.

If you've over tightened the stm to a power device a few times, you may not ever get it to work consistently until you pull the 510 positive pin reseat the insulator in the correct placement & re insert pin.

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Regarding FT...Just checked my "Order Status" and All Is Ready To Ship but for one Drip Tip...Status Page gave me the option to cancel the item...Said item will be available to ship on 9/28 so I let it be...Not in any great rush for anything in the order...We Shall See...

listopencil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    This is the latest I have found a a potential next gen battery:

This Battery Breakthrough Could Change Everything | Backchannel

Steven Levy: You’ve been investing in clean technology as long as anyone. Are you saying that after all of these years, you’ve found your black swan with this new Ionic battery technology?

Bill Joy: Yeah, that’s fair. I think this is a black swan.

What’s the simplest way to describe what’s different about this approach to batteries?

In a normal battery, you have some ingredients, like lithium or alkaline, and a separator, like a piece of cloth that you put between them. Then you pour in a liquid so that the ions can move around. Bad things happen with liquids. Films form, things go into [the] solution and run around and react with each other—you have safety issues like the battery catching fire. To be solid instead of liquid is something people have been striving for for 100 years. But in this battery, you have no liquid. You have just a plastic, a polymer, that replaces the liquid, so it’s solid. It’s a pretty big difference from a chemistry standpoint. It also turns out that this polymer just happens to be essentially a fire ......ant material. So when you build batteries with this polymer, you don’t have a safety problem.

Besides safety, what are the other advantages?

Right now the most desirable battery materials are ones we can’t use. For example, there are very desirable materials for lithium batteries that would give them more capacity, but they’re not safe in a liquid. Basically, all of a sudden maybe a half dozen things that people have been trying to do with lithium batteries that weren’t possible are possible. You can make better lithium batteries.

You’re also saying this is going to be cheaper?

That’s another side effect of the fact that it’s not a liquid. We’ve had alkaline batteries since they were invented by Union Carbide about 1960. They use zinc and manganese dioxide. It’s always been cheap; it’s always been safe. The ingredients are abundant. It’s pretty high power, although it’s a little heavy. The only thing it hasn’t been is rechargeable. You could get 20 or 30 cycles and the thing would short out, and that’s just not going to do it for a phone or a car or most rechargeable applications. Everyone kind of gave up. To power mobile devices like camcorders, [the industry] went to lithium chemistry—to get rechargeable batteries, they gave up safety and cost, and that’s where we are now. But with the polymer, all of a sudden, the alkalines become rechargeable. Mechanisms that prevented the rechargeability don’t occur, because there’s no liquid anymore.

How did you get connected with Ionic?

About a dozen years ago, David Wells and I at Kleiner Perkins made the list of 25 potential breakthroughs we thought would make a difference. Rather than waiting for people to show up with these innovations, we took our thesis and went looking. I’ll give you an example of one we didn’t find. We looked at water desalination, because fresh water’s a problem in lots of parts of the world, and decided that the only economic breakthrough would be something that was thermally driven. And so we went looking for a breakthrough in thermally driven water desalination and didn’t find one. In the case of batteries, we said, “We want something’s that’s a solid instead of a liquid inside the battery,” because that improvement would unlock innovation. But it wasn’t until about 2010 that we really found this entrepreneur.

That would be Michael Zimmerman, the founder of Ionic Materials. How come he figured it out when no one else could?

He was the expert on a certain class of polymers. He also had this kind of black book of things he could do with the polymer, how he could modify it and affect its other properties. Not many other people knew about it. He invented a new ionic conduction mechanism, in the same way that someone invented a way of making materials into semiconductors. That was a new kind of material that was rationally constructed. It did not exist in nature. Now we have a word for it: semiconductor. But I don’t have a word for this new breakthrough, a solid that conducts ions at room temperature. Maybe it should be called an ional. This is a scientific breakthrough that should receive awards.

If I’m Elon Musk and I’m looking at this, am I going to be switching to alkaline batteries or am I going to be using this to improve my lithium batteries?

You’re going to start by improving your lithium batteries, because that’s already your manufacturing process. But in the long run, advanced alkaline—the chemistry used in the ones you buy in the drug store [that have been] made rechargeable—has a chance of upending the reign of lithium ion batteries, because the materials are cheaper. You can potentially make alkaline batteries with aluminum. We’ve made some. We don’t have as many cycles as we need yet, but, you know, we’re working on it. We think that ultimately things like aluminum-alkaline batteries will meet the performance of lithium, but with abundant materials and way cheaper. And it’s also recyclable.

This Battery Breakthrough Could Change Everything | Backchannel

This only part of the article.

Users who are viewing this thread