Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
This is the latest I have found a a potential next gen battery:

This Battery Breakthrough Could Change Everything | Backchannel

Steven Levy: You’ve been investing in clean technology as long as anyone. Are you saying that after all of these years, you’ve found your black swan with this new Ionic battery technology?

Bill Joy: Yeah, that’s fair. I think this is a black swan.

What’s the simplest way to describe what’s different about this approach to batteries?

In a normal battery, you have some ingredients, like lithium or alkaline, and a separator, like a piece of cloth that you put between them. Then you pour in a liquid so that the ions can move around. Bad things happen with liquids. Films form, things go into [the] solution and run around and react with each other—you have safety issues like the battery catching fire. To be solid instead of liquid is something people have been striving for for 100 years. But in this battery, you have no liquid. You have just a plastic, a polymer, that replaces the liquid, so it’s solid. It’s a pretty big difference from a chemistry standpoint. It also turns out that this polymer just happens to be essentially a fire ......ant material. So when you build batteries with this polymer, you don’t have a safety problem.

Besides safety, what are the other advantages?

Right now the most desirable battery materials are ones we can’t use. For example, there are very desirable materials for lithium batteries that would give them more capacity, but they’re not safe in a liquid. Basically, all of a sudden maybe a half dozen things that people have been trying to do with lithium batteries that weren’t possible are possible. You can make better lithium batteries.

You’re also saying this is going to be cheaper?

That’s another side effect of the fact that it’s not a liquid. We’ve had alkaline batteries since they were invented by Union Carbide about 1960. They use zinc and manganese dioxide. It’s always been cheap; it’s always been safe. The ingredients are abundant. It’s pretty high power, although it’s a little heavy. The only thing it hasn’t been is rechargeable. You could get 20 or 30 cycles and the thing would short out, and that’s just not going to do it for a phone or a car or most rechargeable applications. Everyone kind of gave up. To power mobile devices like camcorders, [the industry] went to lithium chemistry—to get rechargeable batteries, they gave up safety and cost, and that’s where we are now. But with the polymer, all of a sudden, the alkalines become rechargeable. Mechanisms that prevented the rechargeability don’t occur, because there’s no liquid anymore.

How did you get connected with Ionic?

About a dozen years ago, David Wells and I at Kleiner Perkins made the list of 25 potential breakthroughs we thought would make a difference. Rather than waiting for people to show up with these innovations, we took our thesis and went looking. I’ll give you an example of one we didn’t find. We looked at water desalination, because fresh water’s a problem in lots of parts of the world, and decided that the only economic breakthrough would be something that was thermally driven. And so we went looking for a breakthrough in thermally driven water desalination and didn’t find one. In the case of batteries, we said, “We want something’s that’s a solid instead of a liquid inside the battery,” because that improvement would unlock innovation. But it wasn’t until about 2010 that we really found this entrepreneur.

That would be Michael Zimmerman, the founder of Ionic Materials. How come he figured it out when no one else could?

He was the expert on a certain class of polymers. He also had this kind of black book of things he could do with the polymer, how he could modify it and affect its other properties. Not many other people knew about it. He invented a new ionic conduction mechanism, in the same way that someone invented a way of making materials into semiconductors. That was a new kind of material that was rationally constructed. It did not exist in nature. Now we have a word for it: semiconductor. But I don’t have a word for this new breakthrough, a solid that conducts ions at room temperature. Maybe it should be called an ional. This is a scientific breakthrough that should receive awards.

If I’m Elon Musk and I’m looking at this, am I going to be switching to alkaline batteries or am I going to be using this to improve my lithium batteries?

You’re going to start by improving your lithium batteries, because that’s already your manufacturing process. But in the long run, advanced alkaline—the chemistry used in the ones you buy in the drug store [that have been] made rechargeable—has a chance of upending the reign of lithium ion batteries, because the materials are cheaper. You can potentially make alkaline batteries with aluminum. We’ve made some. We don’t have as many cycles as we need yet, but, you know, we’re working on it. We think that ultimately things like aluminum-alkaline batteries will meet the performance of lithium, but with abundant materials and way cheaper. And it’s also recyclable.

This only part of the article.
Thanks So Much For The Post...Important Stuff For Everyone !!!

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
I think I have the context correct...BLACK SWAN...I needed to refresh myself !!!

Definition
Colloquial term for any extremely rare event. The term was popularized by a book by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, entitled "The Black Swan", and was based on a previous belief (now a misconception) that all swans were white and that black swans did not exist. The term is frequently used in the finance and investing sectors to denote an event that is unexpected, and impossible to accurately predict.

Read more: http://www.investorwords.com/7761/black_swan.html#ixzz4tl83xYb9

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
:shock::shock::shock:

Gotta love the grammar of FTs customer service reps! I'm not even exactly sure of what they're saying!
5df482eb94680a4e816b4b2c37c58c86.jpg
There have been several occasions when I had a tough time figuring out the meaning of their messages.

This is the latest I have found a a potential next gen battery:

Steven Levy: You’ve been investing in clean technology as long as anyone. Are you saying that after all of these years, you’ve found your black swan with this new Ionic battery technology?

Bill Joy: Yeah, that’s fair. I think this is a black swan.

What’s the simplest way to describe what’s different about this approach to batteries?

In a normal battery, you have some ingredients, like lithium or alkaline, and a separator, like a piece of cloth that you put between them. Then you pour in a liquid so that the ions can move around. Bad things happen with liquids. Films form, things go into [the] solution and run around and react with each other—you have safety issues like the battery catching fire. To be solid instead of liquid is something people have been striving for for 100 years. But in this battery, you have no liquid. You have just a plastic, a polymer, that replaces the liquid, so it’s solid. It’s a pretty big difference from a chemistry standpoint. It also turns out that this polymer just happens to be essentially a fire ......ant material. So when you build batteries with this polymer, you don’t have a safety problem.

Besides safety, what are the other advantages?

Right now the most desirable battery materials are ones we can’t use. For example, there are very desirable materials for lithium batteries that would give them more capacity, but they’re not safe in a liquid. Basically, all of a sudden maybe a half dozen things that people have been trying to do with lithium batteries that weren’t possible are possible. You can make better lithium batteries.

You’re also saying this is going to be cheaper?

That’s another side effect of the fact that it’s not a liquid. We’ve had alkaline batteries since they were invented by Union Carbide about 1960. They use zinc and manganese dioxide. It’s always been cheap; it’s always been safe. The ingredients are abundant. It’s pretty high power, although it’s a little heavy. The only thing it hasn’t been is rechargeable. You could get 20 or 30 cycles and the thing would short out, and that’s just not going to do it for a phone or a car or most rechargeable applications. Everyone kind of gave up. To power mobile devices like camcorders, [the industry] went to lithium chemistry—to get rechargeable batteries, they gave up safety and cost, and that’s where we are now. But with the polymer, all of a sudden, the alkalines become rechargeable. Mechanisms that prevented the rechargeability don’t occur, because there’s no liquid anymore.

How did you get connected with Ionic?

About a dozen years ago, David Wells and I at Kleiner Perkins made the list of 25 potential breakthroughs we thought would make a difference. Rather than waiting for people to show up with these innovations, we took our thesis and went looking. I’ll give you an example of one we didn’t find. We looked at water desalination, because fresh water’s a problem in lots of parts of the world, and decided that the only economic breakthrough would be something that was thermally driven. And so we went looking for a breakthrough in thermally driven water desalination and didn’t find one. In the case of batteries, we said, “We want something’s that’s a solid instead of a liquid inside the battery,” because that improvement would unlock innovation. But it wasn’t until about 2010 that we really found this entrepreneur.

That would be Michael Zimmerman, the founder of Ionic Materials. How come he figured it out when no one else could?

He was the expert on a certain class of polymers. He also had this kind of black book of things he could do with the polymer, how he could modify it and affect its other properties. Not many other people knew about it. He invented a new ionic conduction mechanism, in the same way that someone invented a way of making materials into semiconductors. That was a new kind of material that was rationally constructed. It did not exist in nature. Now we have a word for it: semiconductor. But I don’t have a word for this new breakthrough, a solid that conducts ions at room temperature. Maybe it should be called an ional. This is a scientific breakthrough that should receive awards.

If I’m Elon Musk and I’m looking at this, am I going to be switching to alkaline batteries or am I going to be using this to improve my lithium batteries?

You’re going to start by improving your lithium batteries, because that’s already your manufacturing process. But in the long run, advanced alkaline—the chemistry used in the ones you buy in the drug store [that have been] made rechargeable—has a chance of upending the reign of lithium ion batteries, because the materials are cheaper. You can potentially make alkaline batteries with aluminum. We’ve made some. We don’t have as many cycles as we need yet, but, you know, we’re working on it. We think that ultimately things like aluminum-alkaline batteries will meet the performance of lithium, but with abundant materials and way cheaper. And it’s also recyclable.

This only part of the article.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I would love to hear Mooch's comments.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@ChelsB - FT CS is saying that it's that 1 item...that has delayed shipping of your entire order (apparently it's out of stock now). They're saying if it's OK with you to cancel that 1 item...the rest of your order will ship. They're waiting for a response to that IMO.

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
Unusual Morning...Did Some "House Cleaning" this morning...Like many Men I have a tough time letting go of anything that seems to have some value...LOL...Eyyy...Pulled out all my little "Test" DIY bottles of which most were vapeable but not quite up to par...I think I've gotten a little persnickety with what I'll afford any tank/mod time...So...Opened'em up and down the drain they went...Not too bad...Less than 50ml...:D

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Nicely done, Trig :) I have gotten rid of a LOT from unpacking from our fire, but I had to go very slowly, as unfortunately, I tend toward hoarding myself, so I could only do a few boxes at a time, to do it properly.... Congrats! I need to make e-juice but I'm being lazy.... Although! I think I did figure out my laziness/sleep schedule thing. It occurred to me that I used to go outside every 30 minutes to smoke, and my home is covered by all this AZ ironwork stuff, it lets hardly any natural light in, I started forcing myself to go outside and sit in the sun a couple times an hour, got a lot more done, LOL, and I think I'm less likely to fall asleep at like 8 a.m. Probably. LOL. Sometimes, it's the simplest stuff....

But, congratulations on your achievement! :)

Anna

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
Nicely done, Trig :) I have gotten rid of a LOT from unpacking from our fire, but I had to go very slowly, as unfortunately, I tend toward hoarding myself, so I could only do a few boxes at a time, to do it properly.... Congrats! I need to make e-juice but I'm being lazy.... Although! I think I did figure out my laziness/sleep schedule thing. It occurred to me that I used to go outside every 30 minutes to smoke, and my home is covered by all this AZ ironwork stuff, it lets hardly any natural light in, I started forcing myself to go outside and sit in the sun a couple times an hour, got a lot more done, LOL, and I think I'm less likely to fall asleep at like 8 a.m. Probably. LOL. Sometimes, it's the simplest stuff....

But, congratulations on your achievement! :)

Anna
LOL...Thank You Anna...And noth'in beats a good nap !!!...And tomorrow is ECX Day !!!...Woo-Hoo...!!!...My Bestest Friend in Florida announced she was making "Banoffee Pie" today...So of course that too has gone on my "To Do" list...With 3 Cheesecakes, German Chocolate Cake and several other Bakery items...Fiend !!! :w00t:
Banoffee pie - Wikipedia

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
@ChelsB - FT CS is saying that it's that 1 item...that has delayed shipping of your entire order (apparently it's out of stock now). They're saying if it's OK with you to cancel that 1 item...the rest of your order will ship. They're waiting for a response to that IMO.

Thanks, JC! I guess my direction to cancel the entire order wasn't understood![emoji38]

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Unusual Morning...Did Some "House Cleaning" this morning...Like many Men I have a tough time letting go of anything that seems to have some value...LOL...Eyyy...Pulled out all my little "Test" DIY bottles of which most were vapeable but not quite up to par...I think I've gotten a little persnickety with what I'll afford any tank/mod time...So...Opened'em up and down the drain they went...Not too bad...Less than 50ml...:D

My drain has been working overtime lately as I've been throwing out recipes I made and didn't like. I WISH it was less than 50ml!

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Uh, maybe do smaller test batches? :facepalm:

Yep, I do that now (try new recipes in 5 ml increments). This was back when I was foolish, thinking all the recipes would be delicious based on the ingredients list. Several people that are experienced with DIY cautioned me to do small batches but I didn't listen. So no one is to blame but myself! Now I'm definitely wiser, at least in that aspect!

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada
My drain has been working overtime lately as I've been throwing out recipes I made and didn't like. I WISH it was less than 50ml!

You need perspective. How else do you find out if you like something.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
@Bea-FL

That's just the start, then comes the sapphires or rubies. ;)
21369612_1950338665209481_2178479070667169484_n.jpg

But then alas ...... mine is just a simple brass tube with SS end caps.
I would like that as a ring :wub: My wedding ring is a ruby.

Users who are viewing this thread