top vs. bottom wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecat

Oct 7, 2013
uk
I migrated from Nova Vision to CE5, both top coils, and the latter proved to be a solid and reliable device. When one of my CE5s cracked along the bottom I went looking for a replacement, hearing good things about the bottom coil Evod I thought I'd give one a go. After 3 months of trouble free, full flavour usage the Evod has me hooked. It maybe time for ProTank II, if only they used the same heads.

That's it.

Supposed u vape w large voltage and low resistance, it's sure to get dry hit!

I have a Bottom iClear 30 that I am using and Bcc iSmokas that I use

Basically Bottoms are the latest and greatest. They do not produce dry hits and they are simple.
Tops on the otherhand you had to tilt to keep the coil soaked

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
I do not abhor Top coils, I just prefer bottom coils.... It is all subjective, vaping gear and liquid flavors are all unique to each individual. So whatever is keeping you off cigs and working for you, keep with it.
Yep. Some want to defy gravity, others want to go with the flow... it's all good. :thumbs:

Zind

Oct 10, 2013
Lyon, France
My only complaint about the new mini protank 2 is that when you go to top off occasionally the glass comes apart(at the dissembling points) in your hands along with the juice. I haven't received the full size one yet so I can't critique that one yet.

The standard Protank 2 doesn't have that problem. The part you remove to fill the tank is separate from the parts holding the pyrex.

Danoman

Moved On
Oct 11, 2013
Anniston, Al, USA
I haven't tried a top one yet... I've got a Kanger pro tank 2 with my machine. I've heard it gives you a warm vape... I figured it'd be more like a real cigarette with a warmer vape. I'm planning on trying a few different atomizers and see what's best for me as I can afford them. :)

I have gotten great vapor and flavor from my top wick clearo's. Why is it that so many people we speak to in our Phoenix vape store abhorr these top wick clearo's? Does anyone else like top wicks?

Danoman

Moved On
Oct 11, 2013
Anniston, Al, USA
I prefer the cooler vape the bottom coil gives you. I started with top coils (CE4's) until I got some cinnamon juice *yikes* that was hot!! LOL Which is another reason I like Protanks - the pyrex isn't prone to cracking with some types of juice. I also like being able to take the Protank apart to clean it out and I rebuild the atomizers. So, I guess I prefer bottom coils because they work for me - very well

I've been hearing about this... what causes some juices to crack the tanks...?

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I've been hearing about this... what causes some juices to crack the tanks...?

Long story short, because the chemistry of the components in the juice react badly with the materials of the tank. Some juices are best used in glass or metal tanks.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Top coil! Warmer vape, easy to fill and unlike what I just read (?) I have had zero leaks or issues with it. My one and only dry hit was my very first day i used it and didn't soak the wicks long enough. Maybe ur local B&M are acting like that because new tanks are out w/bottom feeders and that's the "in" thing at the moment.

If I were a menthol person and wanted a cooler vape, maybe I'd go w/bottom but I prefer a warmer vape and less hassles. I've seen my friends dump more juice all over trying to unscrew and fill a bottom coil...what a mess.

Yes, you have to keep the wicks wet on a top coil and at times spin/twirl the PV upside down, but to me this is exactly what I'd do with a cig as I was smoking with an ashtray. I kind of would "pack" the cherry after flicking the ashes so it wouldn't fall off, i would twirl the cigarette on the insides of an ashtray. This habit carried over to twirling my PV and keeping wicks wet, minus the ashtray. So it is now my new ritual and it helps me w/the analog quit.

Good luck to whatever you find works for you!

Last edited:

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
As you can see, there are two avid camps, pretty much whatever you ask about here, lol. The best setup is the one that keeps you off of analogs. One of the things that is the most fun about this lifestyle/hobby is that you can try out all of the options yourself and see what works best for you. I think you'll find that each atomizer has its' advantages and disadvantages. It also depends on the wattage that you vape at and even the juice you use. Good luck and have fun!

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I prefer top coils, long wick CE4's and T2's. I get better flavor and more warmth, less harshness with good top coils. With bottom coils, I have to use a higher resistance on my devices to avoid a bit of burning in the back of my throat and tongue. As an example, the Bauway CE4's with the removable drip tip work well for me at 1.6 ohms with plenty of flavor at 3.7 volts, while harshness leads me to use 2.2 ohms with an Evod, yet the flavor is still off.

I like to drip and top coils still taste closest to dripping for me.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
If I had to use a clearomizer, it would be a top coil. With a bottom coil, I can't just spin or turn the atomizer upside down to get the coil saturated. I have to depend on my fussy liquid wicking properly with it, and I can't just pop it open really quick to see the coil. Ultimately I choose, center coil...or only a coil. cartomizer...or RDA/dripper.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
So far, I prefer top coils. But, once I've experimented with removing flavor wicks, who knows? Top coils are just simpler. Just fill and go. I get more dry hits with bottom coils out of the box.

Besides, eGo-style batteries are usually laying down, especially in a purse. In that case, gravity does the bottom coil no good.

tappy-tappy talk now Free

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread