Touch Screen Mods - best ones and which to stay clear of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA
Admittedly I don't "need" a touch screen mod, but I'm intrigued.

The smok G-Priv has caught my attention but as expected it looks to be a bit "bulky" in order to fit those components in there for the active screen along with two 18650 bats.

I'd really like to hear any opinions / experiences with touch screen mods from anyone who feels like sharing!

Reactions: stols001

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
San Fernando Valley, So-Cal
I love my G Priv to the death of me. It's so overly simplified it's almost stupid easy to operate. Has TCR settings, screen lock, firekey lock, stealth mode and you can even lock in the resistance in TC mode! My only complaint really is that the thing is quite heavy compared to my Kbox's but it's very well built and sturdy.

As a side note, and not to hijack the thread... I'm still really confused about the coil combatiblity between the Baby, Big Baby and the full sized TFV8?

1. Are the big baby and baby family of coils combatible with each other?
2. Or are the Full Size TFV8 coils compatible with the big baby beast since both tanks have a 24.5mm diameter?
3. What are all these coils made of? I'm assuming Kanthal or Nichrome? Why doesn't Smok mention any of this?
4. Where are the the TC coils for TI, SS and NI? Does Smok have any plans of releasing them?

I'm sorry but there is no clear distintiction on their offical website. I just don't think it's worthy of a new thread. If ANYONE HERE can clear this up for me, it would be greatly appreciated!

As long as a little bulk and wieght doesn't bother you, you can't go wrong with the Gpriv!

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
I love my G-Priv but it is heavy.

@Just Want To Quit the Cloud Beast coils are different. The Baby and Big Baby are the same. All kanthal, no TC or SS prebuilt coils.

Thank you so much for the clarification. You saved me a lot of research! Thanks man!

So the TFV8 "big family"is only for the full sized TFV8 while the "Baby Big Family" is only for the Baby and Big Baby Beast... correct? The only reason I was thinking otherwise was because both the Big Baby and Full Sized beast are the same size in diameter, 24.5mm. So I assumed the Big Baby beast coils would work with the full sized TFV8 cloud beast. I stand corrected!

Last edited:

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA
Thanks for the feedback so far, much appreciated!

The reviews of the G-Priv are looking good, but I'm hoping that someone might have comments on some other touch-screen mods (possibly ones a little smaller than the G-Priv?).

Though the G-Priv does seem very nice I'm finding myself gravitating toward smaller mods these days and obviously touch-screen mods are a bit too expensive to play "trial & error" with. I have some disabilities that prevent me from easily getting out to a B&M shop to see in person, not to mention most of them in my area are not quite caught up with the times, so the input I find here on ECF is valuable.

Thanks!

Admittedly I don't "need" a touch screen mod, but I'm intrigued.

The SMOK G-Priv has caught my attention but as expected it looks to be a bit "bulky" in order to fit those components in there for the active screen along with two 18650 bats.

I'd really like to hear any opinions / experiences with touch screen mods from anyone who feels like sharing!

It's not bulky- but it lacks personalization. There's no wallpapers- your clock is only 24H time and can't be changed even with firmware upgrade. Not one of my better purchases.

• Useful
"As a side note, and not to hijack the thread... I'm still really confused about the coil combatiblity between the Baby, Big Baby and the full sized TFV8?
I'm sorry but there is no clear distintiction on their offical website. I just don't think it's worthy of a new thread. If ANYONE HERE can clear this up for me, it would be greatly appreciated!

As long as a little bulk and wieght doesn't bother you, you can't go wrong with the Gpriv!"

1. Are the big baby and baby family of coils compatible with each other? Yes, the Big Baby (BBB) and the Baby Beast (BB) Coils are compatible with each other on coils. However, if you do the RBA, you will need a special glass. In fact you don't have to go out and specifically buy the kit that Baby Beast RBA comes in unless you have a BB. If you have BBB you can go here, order the RBA, and the specialized tank glass- even in the colors you want.
  • BB/BBB TFV8 RBA-16: Smok TFV8 RBA-16 -TFV8-RBA-16 They make two versions of the RBA- this is far better than the original. Instead of grub screws, it uses clamps and has better wicking chambers. Also, allows for claptons.
  • BB/BBB TFV8 RBA-Original Version: Smok TFV8 Baby RBA Head -TFV8-RBA-Original The original version has smaller wicking chambers, you're forced to smaller coils otherwise regular coils will catch on the metal housing and short out. The original version also had instances of the grub screws getting stripped.
  • BB/BBB RBA Replacement Glass: TFV8 Big Baby RBA Replacement Glass -You will need a different glass as the RBA is bigger than stock coils.
2. Or are the Full Size TFV8 coils compatible with the big baby beast since both tanks have a 24.5mm diameter? The BB/BBB stock coils are compatible with each other. I know the Cloud Beast and Cloud Beast King coils won't fit. I don't know about the coils from X-Baby.
3. What are all these coils made of? I'm assuming Kanthal or Nichrome? They all use Kanthal wire for the heating elements. Why doesn't Smok mention any of this? They do, you just have to search it down.
4. Where are the the TC coils for TI, SS and NI? Does Smok have any plans of releasing them? For TC Mode, they pretty figure you're going to build your own on the RBA's.

Oh! I just thought of something about Kidney Puncher (The place that carries the RBA and Glass)- They have THE BEST Shipping Department- Like EVER! They specifically say they won't warranty glass that arrives broken if you only pay for First Class Mail and not US Postal Priority. Well, I did only pay for First Class Mail, and read that rule after the fact. Well, when my package arrived, the box was high quality shipping material, not flimsy cheap cardboard type. Inside the package, my glass was in a tiny zip-lock baggie, then it was sitting firmly in a molded styrofoam, then the entire package was packed with peanuts. They took great care to package it well and safe from breakage. I can't sing their prices enough! I HIGHLY recommend Kidney Puncher Vape Supplies!! FIVE STARS!! :thumb:

Last edited:
I just landed an awesome job. When I get my first check, I'm going to get the Laisimo L3. It really looks like the "Bee's Knees." It comes w/silicone case, usb for firmware, and a screen protector. Has Bluetooth 4.0 for Upgrades and Downloading Wallpapers. 200W TC.

I haven't really been too impressed w/the GPriv. It doesn't do anything other than vape, run watts/tc. I can't stand the clock being 24H time and you can hardly see it in the upper left corner. I could care less about a puff counter. I spent a lot of money on this mod and for that kind of money I expect it to do something other than vape.

• Useful

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
1. Are the big baby and baby family of coils compatible with each other? Yes, the Big Baby (BBB) and the Baby Beast (BB) Coils are compatible with each other on coils. However, if you do the RBA, you will need a special glass. In fact you don't have to go out and specifically buy the kit that Baby Beast RBA comes in unless you have a BB. If you have BBB you can go here, order the RBA, and the specialized tank glass- even in the colors you want.
  • BB/BBB TFV8 RBA-16: Smok TFV8 RBA-16 -TFV8-RBA-16 They make two versions of the RBA- this is far better than the original. Instead of grub screws, it uses clamps and has better wicking chambers. Also, allows for claptons.
  • BB/BBB TFV8 RBA-Original Version: Smok TFV8 Baby RBA Head -TFV8-RBA-Original The original version has smaller wicking chambers, you're forced to smaller coils otherwise regular coils will catch on the metal housing and short out. The original version also had instances of the grub screws getting stripped.
  • BB/BBB RBA Replacement Glass: TFV8 Big Baby RBA Replacement Glass -You will need a different glass as the RBA is bigger than stock coils.
2. Or are the Full Size TFV8 coils compatible with the big baby beast since both tanks have a 24.5mm diameter? The BB/BBB stock coils are compatible with each other. I know the Cloud Beast and Cloud Beast King coils won't fit. I don't know about the coils from X-Baby.
3. What are all these coils made of? I'm assuming Kanthal or Nichrome? They all use Kanthal wire for the heating elements. Why doesn't Smok mention any of this? They do, you just have to search it down.
4. Where are the the TC coils for TI, SS and NI? Does Smok have any plans of releasing them? For TC Mode, they pretty figure you're going to build your own on the RBA's.

Oh! I just thought of something about Kidney Puncher (The place that carries the RBA and Glass)- They have THE BEST Shipping Department- Like EVER! They specifically say they won't warranty glass that arrives broken if you only pay for First Class Mail and not US Postal Priority. Well, I did only pay for First Class Mail, and read that rule after the fact. Well, when my package arrived, the box was high quality shipping material, not flimsy cheap cardboard type. Inside the package, my glass was in a tiny zip-lock baggie, then it was sitting firmly in a molded styrofoam, then the entire package was packed with peanuts. They took great care to package it well and safe from breakage. I can't sing their prices enough! I HIGHLY recommend Kidney Puncher Vape Supplies!! FIVE STARS!! :thumb:

Everything I need to know! Thank you so much for this!

Everything I need to know! Thank you so much for this!
I have found out something after I posted on the RBA's- the RBA-16 is for the Cloud Beast RBA. So, as nice as it sounds, it's not for the BB/BBB. Damn!

I mean- what an idiotic company, can't come up with- I don't know- DIFFERENT names and model #?? Jeez. So confusing when the BB/BBB/Cloud Beast are all TFV8 yet the RBA for BB will fit the BBB, but the RBA for TFV8 Cloud Beast won't fit the BB/BBB. OMG- gives me a migraine.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I have found out something after I posted on the RBA's- the RBA-16 is for the Cloud Beast RBA. So, as nice as it sounds, it's not for the BB/BBB. Damn!

I mean- what an idiotic company, can't come up with- I don't know- DIFFERENT names and model #?? Jeez. So confusing when the BB/BBB/Cloud Beast are all TFV8 yet the RBA for BB will fit the BBB, but the RBA for TFV8 Cloud Beast won't fit the BB/BBB. OMG- gives me a migraine.
Smok makes an rba for the big baby, in fact it's included in the package when you buy the tank. I've been using it myself for over a month now, but it's hard as hell to whick it properly tbh (that's IF you use the preinstalled coils in it,they're about 1-3mm in diameter i'd say). If you're looking for a rebuildable tank get a serpent smm that's the one i was thinking of getting next myself and i heard it's very forgiving/noob friendly.

• Useful
Smok makes an rba for the big baby, in fact it's included in the package when you buy the tank. I've been using it myself for over a month now, but it's hard as hell to whick it properly tbh (that's IF you use the preinstalled coils in it,they're about 1-3mm in diameter i'd say). If you're looking for a rebuildable tank get a serpent smm that's the one i was thinking of getting next myself and i heard it's very forgiving/noob friendly.

There's nothing that's not noob-friendly about the BBB. It's super-easy to build on, super easy to wick (pre-installed coils or otherwise.) Lots of noobs can do themselves favors by watching You-Tube videos, or even taking 15 minutes with their local vape shop. Most coils- pre-installed or otherwise are between 1-3mm. The average coil that's the best to work with is 2.5mm. Here's how to wick the coils:

What you need if you're going to rebuild:
  • Elbow tweezers- great for pulling the cotton through and tucking the cotton into the channels.
  • Ceramic tweezers- great for strumming coils and getting hot spots out.
  • Ohm meter- safer for checking the resistance than using your mod. But if you don't have an ohm meter, you can use your mod. Take your batteries out while you're building. When you go to check your resistance, put the batteries in and use the ceramic tweezers.
  • Small scissors for cutting your cotton. You can make the cotton as wide or narrow as you want- I personally use between 1.5-2mm width of cotton, separate the outer sheets for better wicking.
  • Cotton (I use japanese mushi- it's easy to work with.) Cotton bacon is OK but takes some getting used to.
  • Your alan key for unscrewing your grubs screws and installing the coils.
  • Your coils- as a beginner, I'd suggest buying pre-wrapped coils rather than wrapping your own. Wrapping coils takes a little bit of finesse and patience.
So, IMO if you're venturing into rebuildables, there's no better place to start than the Beast RBA's.

• Useful

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
@Mel Durham the "noob friendly" rta i mentionned was the serpent smm not the BBB i use that one still but with the preinstalled coils that were on it. I won't buy a tfv12 or a baby beast rba and i do not recommend this for someone who wants to get into rebuilding, then again that's my opinion only.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've just learned that Smok has come out with the Smok G-Priv 2, I have the original Smok G-Priv, it come with the
Big Baby Beast tank and I've got the RBA deck for it which I use. I think it's great can't ask for more in a vaporizer, it handles all the SS coils I've used with it in the temp mode.
3FVape has a give away for the Priv 2 but at this time I haven't figured out how to enter it. I'm not sure how anyone could scratch the glass. I dropped mine from chest height, it landed on a rubber mat but was okay.

@Mel Durham the "noob friendly" rta i mentionned was the serpent smm not the BBB i use that one still but with the preinstalled coils that were on it. I won't buy a tfv12 or a baby beast rba and i do not recommend this for someone who wants to get into rebuilding, then again that's my opinion only.

Agreed- we have our opinions. I like my Big Baby Beast. It's easy to work with. But, if you like the Serpent, go for it. We all find our fave tanks, BBB happens to be mine- it takes the Baby's RBA which I did have to buy the spare glass for, but I got that at kidneypuncher.com very reasonably.

I've just learned that Smok has come out with the Smok G-Priv 2, I have the original Smok G-Priv, it come with the
Big Baby Beast tank and I've got the RBA deck for it which I use. I think it's great can't ask for more in a vaporizer, it handles all the SS coils I've used with it in the temp mode.
3FVape has a give away for the Priv 2 but at this time I haven't figured out how to enter it. I'm not sure how anyone could scratch the glass. I dropped mine from chest height, it landed on a rubber mat but was okay.

I think if Smok was going to venture out into touch screens, it shoulda been more than just a mod- you should've had the option to personalize w/wallpapers, add pics, and MP3's like the Joyetech (but even it has it's issues.) So, I'll wait for my next touchscreen that has EVERYTHING I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread