Touch Screen Mods - best ones and which to stay clear of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I've ordered the Smoant Charon TS 218 which looks to be a pretty good touchscreen mod. I'll know for sure when I get my hands on it. Besides the ones mentioned in this thread the hcigar towis t180 is a touchscreen mod that looks pretty cool. It's not a big box like the other mods I've seen but time will tell if it's performance is up to snuff.

I've ordered the Smoant Charon TS 218 which looks to be a pretty good touchscreen mod. I'll know for sure when I get my hands on it. Besides the ones mentioned in this thread the hcigar towis t180 is a touchscreen mod that looks pretty cool. It's not a big box like the other mods I've seen but time will tell if it's performance is up to snuff.

SMOK's G-Priv 2 is smaller and weighs less than the original, but they're still not getting "it." I've even e-mailed SMOK about this- they need to move forward and ADD More!! I'm not really fond of the TS Charon- same thing. Maybe I'm asking too much? That's not surprising, but I want what I want. I mean- if they can put a cell phone in the new Apple Watch, they can put MP3's, photos, an alarm clock with 12h time, I'm not military- I don't want 24h. The Joyetech does most of this, but no alarm clock. Why not put an alarm on the Joyetech if they're going to allow you to upload MP3's. Only reason I can think of is it only plays the MP3's if you're wearing an earbud. So, I'll keep watching and waiting...it's coming, I can feel it.

Just a side-note, I have looked more at the Laisimo L3, and while it gets props for all it can do, it does more than what I'm looking for. I don't care about vaping in waves from 40W to 200W down to 80W, and up to 180W. No one vapes like that. Unreal. The only thing that bugs me about the Joyetech is what I'm hearing about it's lock feature. I don't need a mod that's a pain in the ...- if I wanted that, I'd be back on a pen. I just want my toys all in one box- time, music, vape, pics. Ya know? Too much to ask? I think not. I'll keep waiting and in the mean time, I'll carry my AL85 and my cell phone at the same time. A pain, but until they can put all my toys in the box, then I'm happy with what I've got.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Speigel42

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Just a side-note, I have looked more at the Laisimo L3, and while it gets props for all it can do, it does more than what I'm looking for. I don't care about vaping in waves from 40W to 200W down to 80W, and up to 180W. No one vapes like that. Unreal. The only thing that bugs me about the Joyetech is what I'm hearing about it's lock feature. I don't need a mod that's a pain in the ...- if I wanted that, I'd be back on a pen. I just want my toys all in one box- time, music, vape, pics. Ya know? Too much to ask? I think not. I'll keep waiting and in the mean time, I'll carry my AL85 and my cell phone at the same time. A pain, but until they can put all my toys in the box, then I'm happy with what I've got.
I'm the total opposite, I just want my mod to vape and do a good job at that with the simplest layout. That's why I love the Smoant touchscreen, it's layout seems nice and it performs well. When I read the joyetech had a pedometer in it I thought that was ridiculous and no one would want a mod to do anything but vape well. There is constantly mods being released so I'm sure the mod with all the features you want will be released someday it just never crossed my mind that someone would want all that stuff. I never thought I'd want a touchscreen mod until I saw the Smoant so I guess my wants are always changing but I doubt there will ever be a day I'll want an MP3 player or camera on my vape mod.

I'm the total opposite, I just want my mod to vape and do a good job at that with the simplest layout. That's why I love the Smoant touchscreen, it's layout seems nice and it performs well. When I read the joyetech had a pedometer in it I thought that was ridiculous and no one would want a mod to do anything but vape well. There is constantly mods being released so I'm sure the mod with all the features you want will be released someday it just never crossed my mind that someone would want all that stuff. I never thought I'd want a touchscreen mod until I saw the Smoant so I guess my wants are always changing but I doubt there will ever be a day I'll want an MP3 player or camera on my vape mod.

If I can combine all that's in my iPod, phone, and vape, that's less crap I have to carry. On the other hand, I guess I could get most of my toys in an iWatch and just carry my good ole AL85. I don't need 200+W- I don't chase clouds, I just vape and rarely over (if ever,) over 70W. So, IMO "to each his own." #vapeon

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
The Smok has become the favorite, I'm always using it. Works with all the SS coils I've tried with it. Where the Pico 25 needs the right resistance coil to work in SS, it changed from .24 ohms to .25 ohms and now goes to watts. Click 3 times is a pain, to many combinations of buttons. Well really should find the time to wind another coil for it, nice size for carrying about, Griffin tank that works well. I have a Voopoo coming in soon, larger than the Pico but the price is very good.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've looked briefly at the reviews and I like the Joyetech Cuboid Pro 200W, the Smok G-Priv 220W, and the Smoant Charon TS218. It's still hard to make up my mind, so I'm cruising the threads and trying to get a handle on which meets my needs.

I spend most of my vaping time on a Pico 75W and The Alien 220W around the house. It has to slide into my Pocket to go outside the house. The Alien barely meets the specs for pocket carry. It wins because it goes 2 days on a pair of Samsung 30Q's. Here and there I'll vape a Pico 200W around the house or my Realeaux RX200S.

My Galaxy S7 Edge phone is always with me and has all the other bells and whistles. A vape mod is a vape mod. It doesn't have to play MP3's and store pictures.

Still, I'm impressed by the color touchscreens on the new mods. I guess shiny and colorful toys catch my eye!

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
For the best buy I'd go with the Voopoo although not a touch screen. It handles any resistance coil very easy to navigate but lacks a locking feature to prevent temp changes. The Smok G-Priv is my flag ship, a little paint coming off but the screen is fine. Very easy to use and navigate and I love the tank it comes with. If I were to buy another vaporizer it would be the Smok G-Priv2 since I know how good they are.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
I ordered a Smoant Charon TS 218...it was on sale and a good deal. Supposedly, the settings on the mod are accurate out of the box, it is firmware upgradable. I think getting fingerprints on the screen will drive me a little crazy, but I plan to cut down a cell screen protector for it that will help with that. I don't have it in my hands yet, but what convinced me to buy that over other touch screen mods was a torture video on Youtube against a Joyetech device. The Smoant kept working after the screen was cracked :thumb:

For anyone who wants to watch:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I can't bring myself to get one due to my clumsiness. I most emphatically do NOT want a mod that I can say, talk to someone on and etc. And yes, I'm good with cellphones, but I don't stand them up vertically.... :) Fortunately, tesla does TC well anyway, and that's really what I'm after. I am QUITE sure that DNA mods perform better but at the pathetic MTL wattages and temps I am using, I do believe I have some room for error. Quite a bit of room actually. I will occasionally lust after something with a clock (I believe it would be handy) but really, I do have other timekeeping devices including a darn sundial.

I know, wear a watch and etc., but I am one of those folks that breaks watches rather swiftly, and I hate having something constrict my wrist, anyway. Not a fan of that "experience."

Hmm... maybe we need a new, horizontal DNA mod... Or I could just lay one flat and... hmmm....

Anna

Reactions: Stoneface

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
... I most emphatically do NOT want a mod that I can say, talk to someone on and etc. ...

Anna
I'm with you :thumb: I'm not sure how I would talk on and vape on my mod at the same time.

I bought a silicone case for the Smoant, so I hope that will help. I've only dropped my cell once in the last 4 years, and I haven't dropped my mod in probably as long.

I hope that I didn't just jinx myself......:D

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
On the Smok it says "The touchscreen features high strength toughened glass that is shatter resistant." I've owned it quite a while and not a scratch on it. Go with what you like cause that's what matters. I use the Voopoo quite a bit, it's missing the lock function which isn't good, but all in all I don't make that many adjustments and it's great for vaping.

Reactions: stols001

reverser

Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
東京
Hi all,

Old school vaper just coming back onto the scene with a second or third attempt at kicking the analog habit.

As my previous run with ecigs was coming to an end, TC had just become a thing, with the DNA40 being released. I purchased 3 vapor flasks (back when they were actually made in the USA and milled from aluminum) with the DNA40 and used to build them with an RDA using Nickel coils and stainless steel mesh wicks (very old school, I know). I have never found a comparable flavor to mesh wicks, and I have put in the time to getting savvy with the build enough that I don't even have to do any oxidization of the wick before use (no shorts, micro-shorts, etc.), so no gripes about the finicky nature of SS mesh.

I wanted something to inspire my return to ecigs, so I went out and got a Vaperesso Revenger X from my local vape shop, and while it is a neat little mod, I certainly am the direct opposite of the cloud chasing bunch, and go entirely for flavor / rapid liquid switchability (one of the many nice things about mesh wicks), and smooth but very tight draws (and as a result relatively low wattage), so the NRG (or similar atomizer / tank options) aren't / isn't cutting it.

So, my plan was to use my old atomizer technique on the Revenger X to get back to where I was previously, but on some newer mod tech.

I have been gravely disappointed to find out that the Vaperesso mods won't fire in TC mode below what for me is an extremely high wattage.

Onto my question: I am looking at the SMOANT CHARON TS 218 as my next option, but I can't seem to find the answer on the most important factor to me. Will this mod support very low wattage (10W-20W, which I gather is considered very low by today's standards) while functioning in TC mode? If not, can anyone recommend a current, preferably touchscreen mod (or at least current tech) that can support my use case?

Thanks in advance for any and all information that you can provide.

Cheers,
reverser

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I use the Smoant TS everyday and am very happy with it. I don’t vape that low but I’m not a cloud chaser or high wattage vaper either. Anyway I just checked and in TC mode the preheat wattage goes down to 10 watts so you should be fine with the Smoant going low wattage in tc mode. It also does the curve in both wattage and tc which I really enjoy being able to customize the power second to second. If you have any other questions about the Smoant TS I’ll do my best to provide an answer.

reverser

Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
東京
I use the Smoant TS everyday and am very happy with it. I don’t vape that low but I’m not a cloud chaser or high wattage vaper either. Anyway I just checked and in TC mode the preheat wattage goes down to 10 watts so you should be fine with the Smoant going low wattage in tc mode. It also does the curve in both wattage and tc which I really enjoy being able to customize the power second to second. If you have any other questions about the Smoant TS I’ll do my best to provide an answer.

Awesome - thank you so very much for the fast reply - going to pull the trigger now. Will get back to you with any lingering questions.

Much appreciated.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Awesome - thank you so very much for the fast reply - going to pull the trigger now. Will get back to you with any lingering questions.

Much appreciated.
I agree with @madstabber . I also have the Charon TS 218, but I haven't used it in TC mode that low. I will say it's been a good performer for me, and I'd recommend it. It is a little heavier than I thought it would be...

Good luck :thumb:

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
Onto my question: I am looking at the SMOANT CHARON TS 218 as my next option, but I can't seem to find the answer on the most important factor to me. Will this mod support very low wattage (10W-20W, which I gather is considered very low by today's standards) while functioning in TC mode? If not, can anyone recommend a current, preferably touchscreen mod (or at least current tech) that can support my use case?

Thanks in advance for any and all information that you can provide.

Cheers,
reverser
If you are asking about the preheat power in TC mode, I just ran mine down to 10W. I'm not sure how well that will work in TC mode. I think it will also depend on the tank and coil you decide to run on it.

I've had my TS 218 since I didn't win one in the giveaway and it's still working great. Navigating the screens in Watt and TC mode is easy and seem user friendly. It does attract fingerprints, but I just rub it on my shirt a few times and the screen is like new. I've tried 5 different tanks and all work well with no problems.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I love the Smoant TS 218. I don't use the TC mode though. It is a tactile little device. It is small compared with other dual 18650 box mods and a little heavy, but as i said, tactile !. Aesthetically pleasing, all the corners are rounded off so it's easy to handle. The screen can be locked and can also be turned off. Touchscreen features are easy to use, it's not a complicated device. The battery cover is magnetic. One thing i was a little disappointed with is that the display is black and white, i was expecting a colour screen. Been using it exclusively since the EFC giveaway. The best dual 18650 box mod i've owned.

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I am a fan of the Smoant TS as well. It’s a great device my only gripes are the rounded corners make it is to knock over and when you set it down you have to be sure it’s stable or it’ll rock back and forth and topple. The other gripe is the battery life isn’t great, I always had the screen shut off but it didn’t seem to help. I use the Cylon now and it’s a huge improvement on those issues so the TS has been relegated to backup duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread