Not open for further replies.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Hey all; I need a little help...
I've been perusing the recipes and noticed more than several call for TFA's "tobacco Absolute." I could not find any reference to that name on either TPA/TFA's or WL's websites using their search bars.
Has this been renamed or is it no longer offered? If no longer offered; what is everyone using for substitution? And, if not at a 1:1 ratio, what substitution ratio are you using? (I am led to understand the TA is/was extremely strong so I thought any substitution might have to be increased).
I apologize of this has already been covered ad nauseum. Please feel free to direct me to the correct thread.
Thank you one and all :) !
You are correct,the Tfa tobacco absolute is no longer available.There is a thread here somewhere,where one of the posts gives the recipe to duplicate the tfa stuff,but i can't remember which thread it was.If i can find it,i will let you know.I believe it is in the Boba's bounty clone thread,but i'm not positive.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Tobacco Absolute - One Stop DIY Shop Store, LLC

This is what I use and it comes with a tiny little spoon to measure it out with. One little spoonful per 10ml. It is hard to work with, thick and sticky plus it has to be stirred, forever, to get it to dissolve!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
You are correct,the Tfa tobacco absolute is no longer available.There is a thread here somewhere,where one of the posts gives the recipe to duplicate the tfa stuff,but i can't remember which thread it was.If i can find it,i will let you know.I believe it is in the Boba's bounty clone thread,but i'm not positive.
Thanks for the reply. :thumb: I'll expand my search across the forums (starting w/ the Boba's clone thread) and see what I can stumble across. :rolleyes:

Reactions: TrollDragon

rflash

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2014
Oak Grove,MN,USA

This is what I use and it comes with a tiny little spoon to measure it out with. One little spoonful per 10ml. It is hard to work with, thick and sticky plus it has to be stirred, forever, to get it to dissolve!
That's where I got mine, good place to do business with. The small container should last several lifetimes lol

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID

Thanks for the link. I have been looking at this for a while but I wasn't sure. I just placed an order (for that, and half a dozen other products I wasn't looking for, but I couldn't resist their prices). :D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
That's where I got mine, good place to do business with. The small container should last several lifetimes lol

Thanks. I appreciate another endorsement. I also feel better about getting the smaller one (at least until I know if it is a product I can work with, and what my usage might be like, and if I even like it). :w00t:

Open Question to anyone:
Any tips on getting it into solution? I read their directions (warming the PG, even gently warming the TA, mixing until "infused," and then adding the EM crystals and continue warming until the crystals are fully dissolved).

I am a bit concerned/confused about how to go about measuring the EM crystals (if you haven't already guessed; I am more than a bit ....-retentive <scratch that> OCD ;)). they say (in their "suggested" recipe) "1ml Ethyl Maltol Crystals" are to be added to the 1/32 teaspoon TA (measuring spoon provided; according to awsum140) and 15 ml. of PG. I really wished they would have provided a dry-weight measure instead of volume, for the EM, as I am fresh out of 1 ml measuring spoons (which is equivalent to .2029 teaspoon... kinda hard to eyeball/replicate batch-to-batch). My only thought is to measure the EM into the barrel of a 1 ml syringe.
I suppose I could melt the EM (melting point: 185-203 degrees Fahrenheit) for true volume; but then I am still stuck finding a suitable measuring instrument (at temperature).

OR... am I just way over-thinking this? :tumble: (I truly would like to make this a repeatable as possible)

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Thanks. I appreciate another endorsement. I also feel better about getting the smaller one (at least until I know if it is a product I can work with, and what my usage might be like, and if I even like it). :w00t:

Open Question to anyone:
Any tips on getting it into solution? I read their directions (warming the PG, even gently warming the TA, mixing until "infused," and then adding the EM crystals and continue warming until the crystals are fully dissolved).

I am a bit concerned/confused about how to go about measuring the EM crystals (if you haven't already guessed; I am more than a bit ....-retentive <scratch that> OCD ;)). they say (in their "suggested" recipe) "1ml Ethyl Maltol Crystals" are to be added to the 1/32 teaspoon TA (measuring spoon provided; according to awsum140) and 15 ml. of PG. I really wished they would have provided a dry-weight measure instead of volume, for the EM, as I am fresh out of 1 ml measuring spoons (which is equivalent to .2029 teaspoon... kinda hard to eyeball/replicate batch-to-batch). My only thought is to measure the EM into the barrel of a 1 ml syringe.
I suppose I could melt the EM (melting point: 185-203 degrees Fahrenheit) for true volume; but then I am still stuck finding a suitable measuring instrument (at temperature).

OR... am I just way over-thinking this? :tumble: (I truly would like to make this a repeatable as possible)
I mix 1/4 teaspoon in 10 mls of PG for EM. Heres a thread about it.

Ethyl Maltol crystals question. | E-Cigarette Forum

Sent from my Commadore 64 using Tapatalk

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I mix 1/4 tsp of ethyl maltol crystals per 10ml of PG, then warm it a bit in the microwave and stir, vigorously. I repeat that process until the crystals have all gone into suspension. I usually make 50ml at a time and it stays crystal clear, for me anyway, until it's all used up.

I mix my TA with PGA, Everclear, again in 50ml batches. It's a slow process. Even after warming the TA paste it sticks like glue to that tiny spoon. I use a 100ml beaker, pour in some PGA (less than 50ml), then measure and mix each spoon until I get to five, then top off to 50ml and pour it into a bottle. I usually shake it before each use just to make sure it's well mixed.

A mix that a couple friends and I have been enjoying. 50/50 @ 6mg

Pineapple 5%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream 6%
Toasted Marshmallow 3%
Sweetener 1%

A tad weak on the sweetner. Sorry if i played with your recipe but i came up with this out of it. Excellent mix.

Strawberry (ripe) 8%
Vanilla bean ice cream 6%
Toasted Mashmellow 4%
Sweetner 4%
Sweet Cream 2%

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
A tad weak on the sweetner. Sorry if i played with your recipe but i came up with this out of it. Excellent mix.

Strawberry (ripe) 8%
Vanilla bean ice cream 6%
Toasted Mashmellow 4%
Sweetner 4%
Sweet Cream 2%

That's what it's all about, no need for apologies. I like my liquids a little less sweet then most people I know that vape, they tell me the same thing. I'm going to give yours a try.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID

Open Question to anyone:

Just a follow-up for anyone who might stumble across this who is also questioning how to use the Tobacco Absolute (TA).
I just received my order of TA from One Stop DIY Shop in amazing time (ordered on Tuesday/received on Friday! Awesome job One Stop!! :thumbs: ) and wanted to send them a quick thank you.

I was over in their "Supplier" forum and found This: Tobacco Absolute is back! | E-Cigarette Forum
Which gives the clearest (at least to this thick-headed numbskull :confused:) directions on using their product.
Cut and pasted from the original post which is now closed:

"Our Tobacco Blend recipe -
1/32 tsp tobacco absolute
15ml Propylene Glycol
1ml Ethyl Maltol

Submerge your bottle with PG into a hot-water bath and measure out one level scoop of tobacco absolute. Stick the spoon into the warmed PG and stir it around until the spoon is nearly cleaned of the tobacco absolute. Cap the bottle and shake the mixture until the tobacco absolute is fully infused. Once it is, measure out 1ml of Ethyl Maltol crystals using a graduated cylinder or syringe (with the plunger removed), then add it into the warmed PG. Allow the mixture to remain in the hot-water bath until the Ethyl Maltol is completely dissolved.

This Tobacco Blend can be added to any e-liquid. Suggested use is 10%. Please allow some time for this blend to mature once it is added to your e-liquid before making a final determination on your flavoring percentage. Recommended steeping time is 7-10 days."
end quote

I hope someone else might find this as helpful as I did.

Happy mixing!
(Sorry I'll quit highjacking this thread in regards to a non-TPA/TFA product :offtopic: though it was mentioned in several recipes here ;) )

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I mix 1/4 tsp of ethyl maltol crystals per 10ml of PG, then warm it a bit in the microwave and stir, vigorously. I repeat that process until the crystals have all gone into suspension. I usually make 50ml at a time and it stays crystal clear, for me anyway, until it's all used up.

I mix my TA with PGA, Everclear, again in 50ml batches. It's a slow process. Even after warming the TA paste it sticks like glue to that tiny spoon. I use a 100ml beaker, pour in some PGA (less than 50ml), then measure and mix each spoon until I get to five, then top off to 50ml and pour it into a bottle. I usually shake it before each use just to make sure it's well mixed.
You think it's hard with the spoon,try it with a syringe and 14 gauge needle haha.When i got mine,i needed to make a stronger mix for a recipe i was making,so instead of messing with the spoon,i warmed it up and drew it into a syringe.It went in fine,but it must have cooled off in the syringe because it was horrible trying to get it back out haha.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Now there is a scenario for someone to walk in on, heating up stuff on a spoon and drawing it up into a syringe... :eek: :lol:
Haha,yeah i could see that looking all kinds of wrong haha.Although,luckily i didn't have to worry about that situation though,i heated the whole jar,then drew from it,not that it would have looked much better though haha.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I bought a set of stainless blunt tipped needles off of FleaBay just to get a 12 gauge one to use with VG. It is way easier than a 14 gauge, but I'd love to find a 10 gauge. Maybe a piercing needle ground down to blunt would work.
I thought about getting that set a while back.I ended up just getting a couple of those oral syringes though,as they have a pretty good sized tip,and will draw up vg like it's water.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
You think it's hard with the spoon,try it with a syringe and 14 gauge needle haha.When i got mine,i needed to make a stronger mix for a recipe i was making,so instead of messing with the spoon,i warmed it up and drew it into a syringe.It went in fine,but it must have cooled off in the syringe because it was horrible trying to get it back out haha.

:lol: Oh man! That sounds absolutely BRUTAL! I did notice that My Freedom Smokes offers a TA that "has been diluted to 50% Pure Tobacco Absolute and 50% USP Grade Propylene Glycol for ease of use." But I have no idea as to the quality. No one has mentioned using this one in particular.

Thanks for sharing your lesson learned. I will resist the temptation to repeat it! :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread