TPA/TFA Recipes only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I don't know your taste buds, so the percents question is hard to answer. Since you can taste the vanilla in all that VG, I suspect that you should taste the strawberry as well. But, strawberry is a pretty demure flavor even at 10% in 90+% VG.

I have about five different strawberries, not to mention all the other fruits, and about 6-7 creams. When I started, I had no idea of the differences between all the creams, so I made test samples of a single fruit, it was strawberry, and each cream. I steeped them naturally because not all flavorings react the same way to "modified" ways of steeping. I sat with two of the same RDAs, tested and wrote flavoring nuance notes.

As a DIYer, the number of combinations is endless.

With the "soft" strawberry, I would go to 14% and 1% french vanilla. To see the difference from the current sample save what is left. Then when the new sample, which is also made with distilled water and VG, is steeped. Try them both.

I make 2.5ml samples for trying recipes and flavorings. I bought a lot of little bottles for steeping. o_O

Good luck!

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Hi all, I just starting DIYing a few weeks ago and was hoping for some advice.

I recently made a batch with 10% strawberry and 2% french vanilla, both from TPA. The other ingredients are 6% distilled water and the rest is pure VG.

But when sampling it it tasted more like pure vanilla and I couldn't discover the strawberry anywhere. I do smell sweet ripe strawberries when sniffing the bottle but I can't find the taste anywhere in my vapor.

I only made this two days ago but did a quick heat infusion, 2 X 2 hour breathing sessions and kept it warm all the time and shacked the bottle vigorously several times per day.

This method seems to work great for my banana cream juice (also from TPA) so I wonder if the strawberry just needs more steeping, or is the vanilla that overpowering and did I use way too much (I wanted a main strawberry taste with just a hint of vanilla).

At this point I almost start to doubt myself and wonder if I accidentally mixed up the strawberry and vanilla quantities...
My favorite strawberry DIY juice is 10% TFA ripe strawberry, 6% CAP vanilla custard and 4% Lorann cotton candy (or EM). Took me a while to get it right, but I vape this every day.

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
My favorite strawberry DIY juice is 10% TFA ripe strawberry, 6% CAP vanilla custard and 4% Lorann cotton candy (or EM). Took me a while to get it right, but I vape this every day.

Hmmm, that is a lot more vanilla then in my recipe. Do you know if both vanilla flavors are of equal strength perhaps?

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
I don't know your taste buds, so the percents question is hard to answer. Since you can taste the vanilla in all that VG, I suspect that you should taste the strawberry as well. But, strawberry is a pretty demure flavor even at 10% in 90+% VG.

I have about five different strawberries, not to mention all the other fruits, and about 6-7 creams. When I started, I had no idea of the differences between all the creams, so I made test samples of a single fruit, it was strawberry, and each cream. I steeped them naturally because not all flavorings react the same way to "modified" ways of steeping. I sat with two of the same RDAs, tested and wrote flavoring nuance notes.

As a DIYer, the number of combinations is endless.

With the "soft" strawberry, I would go to 14% and 1% french vanilla. To see the difference from the current sample save what is left. Then when the new sample, which is also made with distilled water and VG, is steeped. Try them both.

I make 2.5ml samples for trying recipes and flavorings. I bought a lot of little bottles for steeping. o_O

Good luck!

Whoops, I didn't noticed your post before,thanks for the reply as well.

My taste buds & sense of smell are pretty sensitive from what I gather.

I think I'll just make another bottle with strawberry-only at 15% this time then and mix the two of them together to dim the vanilla down a bit.

I wasn't patient enough to make small samples though, so another 30ml it'll be, haha.

But I'll just mix a little bit together first so I can play with the amounts if necessary this time.

I'll report back with the outcome in a few days or so :)

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Hmmm, that is a lot more vanilla then in my recipe. Do you know if both vanilla flavors are of equal strength perhaps?
You mean the vanilla custard and cotton candy? The CC is basically EM (ethyl maltol), so just a sweetner. I tried equal parts VC and CC and it was too sweet. The 1% difference is pretty big IME.

Reactions: OhTheAgony

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
You mean the vanilla custard and cotton candy? The CC is basically EM (ethyl maltol), so just a sweetner. I tried equal parts VC and CC and it was too sweet. The 1% difference is pretty big IME.

Oops, no sorry, I meant the difference between CAP & TPA vanilla, but I only just noticed you used vanilla custard, not straight vanilla so those are probably too different to compare anyway.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Oops, no sorry, I meant the difference between CAP & TPA vanilla, but I only just noticed you used vanilla custard, not straight vanilla so those are probably too different to compare anyway.
I haven't had the TPA vanilla. I have had good success with the Capella vanilla custard, so I am sticking with it. Once I get brave and start trying new things, I end up making crappy juice. ;)

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
I haven't had the TPA vanilla. I have had good success with the Capella vanilla custard, so I am sticking with it. Once I get brave and start trying new things, I end up making crappy juice. ;)

Vanilla custard does sound pretty tasty I must admit, but I don't know if I can get it locally and I want to stick to local suppliers for now. I'll have a look around though.

But my inquiry here was mainly aimed towards people who have actual experience with TPA French Vanilla since I'm curious about it's strength. I forgot about eliquidrecipiesdotcom though. I had a look just now but it seems 2% isn't all that extravagant.

I also just checked my bottles of flavoring in the basement and there's only a little bit missing from the FV bottle and much more from the strawberry bottle so I guess it just really is that strong, or at least to my taste buds.

KYBLUE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Hi all, I just starting DIYing a few weeks ago and was hoping for some advice.

I recently made a batch with 10% strawberry and 2% french vanilla, both from TPA. The other ingredients are 6% distilled water and the rest is pure VG.

But when sampling it it tasted more like pure vanilla and I couldn't discover the strawberry anywhere. I do smell sweet ripe strawberries when sniffing the bottle but I can't find the taste anywhere in my vapor.

You may want to try layering the strawberry note. Maybe 5% TFA Strawberry and 5% TFA Strawberry Ripe. I know using 6% of each in my S&C recipe helped bring the strawberry note forward. Maybe even layer a strawberry flavor from another vendor.

Good luck.

KYBLUE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Here is a recipe inspired by Vape Dudes Blue Honey. I call it Blunny.

BLUNNY

Blueberry Wild (TFA) @ 6%
Blueberry Extra (TFA) @ 6%
Honey (TFA) @ .2% (point two)

Sweet and simple. I will likely at some point toy with this recipe by adding a marshmallow note or a cream base.

ENJOY

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
But my inquiry here was mainly aimed towards people who have actual experience with TPA French Vanilla since I'm curious about it's strength.

From my experience with TFA's French Vanilla, I find it one of TFA's stronger vanillas (actually the only vanilla I can think of that I would say is stronger to me is TFA Vanillin 10%) and can quickly dominate the flavor profile unless I am using it with other strong flavors like tobaccos, coffees, or cinnamons. I find TFA's strawberries (Strawberry, and Strawberry Ripe) to be easily covered/concealed by a many other flavors. I agree with @KYBLUE that using a combination (layering) of both TFA Strawberry and TFA Strawberry Ripe very well may give you a more enjoyable vape. I also find using a small amount (<2%) of a complimenting flavor like TFA Raspberry, Lemon (water soluble), or Dragon-fruit can help to make the strawberry "pop." I have also been reading that a couple of drops (0.10-0.25%) of citric acid (5-10% dilution) can have the same effect. Though I have not had a chance to try this particular method yet so I can't offer any personal experience.
If you have access to any of these TFA vanillas, you might give them a try, I find them to be better ("less strong") blenders : TFA Vanilla Bean Gelato, TFA Vanilla Been Ice Cream, or TFA Vanilla Swirl. To me, these are less bold vanillas than french vanilla. I would still start with only 1.5-2.0% and increase if necessary.
Also, regarding E.M./Cotton Candy, many vapers find this ingredient a flavor killer, especially with fruit flavors. I don't remember if you said this was part of your original recipe but I strongly recommend using the minimum amount necessary to achieve the sweetness you require.
Lastly, looking at my recipes that I enjoy, Strawberry or Strawberry/Strawberry ripe blends are between 8-12%, and vanillas will range 1.5-3%, so your percentages do not seem way out of proportion (though I still would consider a different vanilla; but that's just me).
That's my :2c: . I hope it helps.

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
You may want to try layering the strawberry note. Maybe 5% TFA Strawberry and 5% TFA Strawberry Ripe. I know using 6% of each in my S&C recipe helped bring the strawberry note forward. Maybe even layer a strawberry flavor from another vendor.

Good luck.

From my experience with TFA's French Vanilla, I find it one of TFA's stronger vanillas (actually the only vanilla I can think of that I would say is stronger to me is TFA Vanillin 10%) and can quickly dominate the flavor profile unless I am using it with other strong flavors like tobaccos, coffees, or cinnamons. I find TFA's strawberries (Strawberry, and Strawberry Ripe) to be easily covered/concealed by a many other flavors. I agree with @KYBLUE that using a combination (layering) of both TFA Strawberry and TFA Strawberry Ripe very well may give you a more enjoyable vape. I also find using a small amount (<2%) of a complimenting flavor like TFA Raspberry, Lemon (water soluble), or Dragon-fruit can help to make the strawberry "pop." I have also been reading that a couple of drops (0.10-0.25%) of citric acid (5-10% dilution) can have the same effect. Though I have not had a chance to try this particular method yet so I can't offer any personal experience.
If you have access to any of these TFA vanillas, you might give them a try, I find them to be better ("less strong") blenders : TFA Vanilla Bean Gelato, TFA Vanilla Been Ice Cream, or TFA Vanilla Swirl. To me, these are less bold vanillas than french vanilla. I would still start with only 1.5-2.0% and increase if necessary.
Also, regarding E.M./Cotton Candy, many vapers find this ingredient a flavor killer, especially with fruit flavors. I don't remember if you said this was part of your original recipe but I strongly recommend using the minimum amount necessary to achieve the sweetness you require.
Lastly, looking at my recipes that I enjoy, Strawberry or Strawberry/Strawberry ripe blends are between 8-12%, and vanillas will range 1.5-3%, so your percentages do not seem way out of proportion (though I still would consider a different vanilla; but that's just me).
That's my :2c: . I hope it helps.

Thanks for the tips and replies guys!

Unfortunately I only have access to some flavors here locally, I have not seen the ripe strawberry available for instance. I'm still looking around at what's easily available here and am testing flavors from different manufacturers as well.

Most have been disappointing so far though, and I have put my strawberry projects in storage for now.

But I am really enjoying TPA's banana cream and that has become my go-to flavoring for now, it goes great with a little brown sugar and/or some vanilla cupcake DX (both also from TPA).
I have to keep the flavoring down to about 8% and my usage below 3ml a day or my PG sensitivity starts acting up though, so I doubt my recipes will be of interest to anyone here. Hopefully one day an alternative to PG based flavorings comes up.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I'm still looking around at what's easily available here and am testing flavors from different manufacturers as well.

Most have been disappointing so far though, and I have put my strawberry projects in storage for now.
If you have been trying other strawberry flavors; you might try using combinations of them. Individually they may not be what you were looking for but when used together the shortcoming of one may be fulfilled by another. One of the benefits of mixing is we get to tweak it to our own liking.
Hopefully one day an alternative to PG based flavorings comes up.
I understand that you have been trying to shop locally but if you get fed up with that, or the need for VG based flavorings becomes great enough to consider shopping on line, I just learned of a flavor manufactured named Real Flavors that is entirely VG based. I have not used them yet but I have looked at their website and the offerings are pretty extensive.
Additionally; TFA/TPA does have a limited line of non-PG, non-ethyl alcohol flavors. They are a triacetin base. I have NO idea how appropriate these would be for vaping. You would have to do some research.

I'm glad you have something that is working for you. The most important thing is to stay of the Stinky Sticks! Best wishes on your mixing journey!!:toast:

rasmith1959

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
Guthrie, OK

rasmith1959

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
Guthrie, OK
thanks, now if i can only figure out how to clone my adv...

That can be an adventure that can be very elusive and rewarding. I started vaping on those Blu e-cigs and later switched to an eGo and a Kanger T3. Anyway wanted to replicate the one flavor of Blu that I really liked, Cherry Crush. Tried several different variations of cherry blends, some good, and some not so good. The good ones I vaped, the not so good ones got dumped into a bottle. When it got full and I needed something to vape I gave it a try. Turns out it was the best tasting cherry juice I had ever tried... Unfortunately I didn't keep notes about my previous mixes, so I had no idea of what exactly was in there...

:eek::oops::-x:(

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Turns out it was the best tasting cherry juice I had ever tried... Unfortunately I didn't keep notes about my previous mixes, so I had no idea of what exactly was in there...
Oh man! What a heart breaker!! I am sorry to hear that. It seems the DIY gods watch closer than Santa Claus and have the most twisted sense of humor. Why is it that the only time you can get a mix absolutely perfect is when you are not writing it down?
I feel for ya Rasmith... :(

Reactions: NandyDC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread