Read this! TPD European regulations come into effect tomorrow: Or do they (UK)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
So, tomorrow is D-Day for vaping in Europe. The TPD finally comes into effect and will be law in all member states of the European Union.

Now whatever you think of the UK's antiquated parliament and its strange dynastic House of Lords in particular, it does offer the possibility of a surprise from time to time.

Last Tuesday, a Lords committee hearing was held in which several esteemed members lambasted the tobacco Products Directive. Most importantly, the Deputy Leader of Labour in the Lords, who described the regulations as "bonkers" (and, pleasingly, retweeted me when I tweeted this at the woman responsible, Labour MEP Linda MacAvan).

But wait - that's not the surprise!

Today it was announced that Lord Callanan has introduced a "kill motion" in the House of Lords to prevent the law coming into effect tomorrow. I'm unclear at this stage what a kill motion is, exactly, and a good political lobbyist friend of mine described it as: "very cheeky - not sure if it's ever happened before".

So, who knows - just maybe the UK fails to implement the TPD. And then what?

Oh, also - there's this petition which seems to be doing somewhat nicely - I'm not normally a fan of petitions, but this is a timely one, so please sign.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
So, tomorrow is D-Day for vaping in Europe. The TPD finally comes into effect and will be law in all member states of the European Union.

Now whatever you think of the UK's antiquated parliament and its strange dynastic House of Lords in particular, it does offer the possibility of a surprise from time to time.

Last Tuesday, a Lords committee hearing was held in which several esteemed members lambasted the Tobacco Products Directive. Most importantly, the Deputy Leader of Labour in the Lords, who described the regulations as "bonkers" (and, pleasingly, retweeted me when I tweeted this at the woman responsible, Labour MEP Linda MacAvan).

But wait - that's not the surprise!

Today it was announced that Lord Callanan has introduced a "kill motion" in the House of Lords to prevent the law coming into effect tomorrow. I'm unclear at this stage what a kill motion is, exactly, and a good political lobbyist friend of mine described it as: "very cheeky - not sure if it's ever happened before".

So, who knows - just maybe the UK fails to implement the TPD. And then what?

Oh, also - there's this petition which seems to be doing somewhat nicely - I'm not normally a fan of petitions, but this is a timely one, so please sign.

Can I just say I love the UK? Where else could a government action that has the potential to save an industry and lives be described as "cheeky?"

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
doublelike.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread