EU TPD Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetweenEnemyLines

Apr 7, 2016
In Finland today, nicotine is classed as a pharmaceutical drug, thus all sales of nicotine-laced e-liquids are banned. You can however legally import liquids containing up to 0.84g nicotine per order from vendors in the European Economic Area.

I have just read the proposition for Finland's revised tobacco law, which is based on the European tobacco Products Directive, and will most likely become law May 20th this year. The proposition text can be found in Finnish/Swedish here and its current process here. As the proud reigning champion of the Nanny State Index, it would be unresponsible for our government not to impose some additional restrictions. Following some of the juicy bits on e-cigarettes:

• Ban on all e-liquid tastes apart from tobacco
    Only tobacco-flavored e-liquids will be allowed for sale to prevent the attractiveness of the products to the youth and prevent children from drinking it. The ban also applies to nicotine-free liquids.
  • Ban on all distance sales
    E-cigarettes, e-cigarette parts and e-liquids can only be bought at a physical store. You are not allowed to buy any of these from the web or otherwise, domestically or internationally.
  • Point-of-sales fee
    Each vendor offering nicotine liquids are subject to an annual fee of up to 500 euros per point of sale. A similar fee exists for tobacco products, this one is additional.
  • Limits on import
    When bringing e-liquids from travels abroad, the maximal amount is 10ml. The rationale behind this is that 10ml of 20mg e-juice contains the approximate nicotine amount emitted by 200 cigarettes, which is the import limit on cigarettes. Note that the nicotine strength has no influence on the amount.
  • Excise tax
    Not mentioned directly, only that current tobacco taxes need to be updated to reflect the changes in the proposition. As 10ml juice is considered equivalent to a carton of 200 cigarettes, expect it to be taxed accordingly.

Note that these are in addition to the TPD restrictions (10ml juice, 2ml tanks etc).
A blog post with some more points can be found here

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
  • Not mentioned directly, only that current tobacco taxes need to be updated to reflect the changes in the proposition. As 10ml juice is considered equivalent to a carton of 200 cigarettes, expect it to be taxed accordingly.

That is disgraceful. In the UK, if they did this, they'd need to add £6.90 tax per ml to the price of e-liquid. That would make 10ml about £70 per bottle. (80 euros)
If they did this, nobody would ever vape... it would be an immediate end to vaping.

My goodness, you do live in a nanny state.... :eek: Poor you. :cry:

BetweenEnemyLines

Apr 7, 2016
That is disgraceful. In the UK, if they did this, they'd need to add £6.90 tax per ml to the price of e-liquid. That would make 10ml about £70 per bottle. (80 euros)
If they did this, nobody would ever vape... it would be an immediate end to vaping.

My goodness, you do live in a nanny state.... :eek: Poor you. :cry:

Hopefully the tax becomes sensible, but judging from how things usually end up here, it wont.

tippi771

Nov 2, 2015
Ban on all e-liquid tastes apart from tobacco - What a nonsense. I smoked my first cigarette aged 12.
Now grown up, i hate the tobacco taste.. But you are not alone, germany will probably follow.
"The ban also applies to nicotine-free liquids" Thats why the refillable tanks could disappear in
a second step... Well, i say thanks for the regulation, but i Vape on how i want to vape..

Reactions: LaraC

drugarth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2015
Netherlands, groningen
really worrisome how many countries are banning distance sales, Belgium, Poland, and now Finland.....if this becomes the trend we're in for some nasty weather.....luckily I'm all stocked up, but those poor new commers will be doomed to the ciga-like or Istick I guess (at least that's the only thing to be had at a B&M in my neck of the Woods)...
Even if they do stock better devices, domestic prices and the added taxes will spell the end of vaping, as it will be just as or more expensive than smoking

Tufur

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
San Jose, Ca. usa
really worrisome how many countries are banning distance sales, Belgium, Poland, and now Finland.....if this becomes the trend we're in for some nasty weather.....luckily I'm all stocked up, but those poor new commers will be doomed to the ciga-like or Istick I guess (at least that's the only thing to be had at a B&M in my neck of the Woods)...
Even if they do stock better devices, domestic prices and the added taxes will spell the end of vaping, as it will be just as or more expensive than smoking
I know you are right. My own state made me a felon with nomenclature and started me dealing in wholesale loose leaf tobacco. I didn't have to stand on an Oakland street corner to be entraped. That is for the local tribe.
And no, I did not ever get arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread