Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Oh, and I almost forgot - TVECA!

It's hard to know what their influence was, but they sent a letter claiming they (and their associates) represent 80% of the European industry and that they fully supported the final draft of article 18.

It was referred to by Linda McAvan, who stated that the e-cigarette industry was fully in favour of the proposals. If you look at the roster of companies that are members of TVECA you'll see that they are overwhelmingly cigalikes.

So, when it comes to lobbying, it's possible that the most insidious part of it came from within the e-cigarette industry. Although, that said, I tend to think of the industry as being formed of two separate but parallel industries.

I feel like crying. This is absolutely horrifying and maddening. I have a feeling that the FDA has been sitting and watching to see how this plays out. When the dust settles, then they will show their hand.

This world is so screwed....

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Time for this fella to rise from the dead and raise some HELL!

George_Washington.jpg

It its most fundamental form, this is nothing more than other human beings TELLING YOU how to live your life.
Yes that is pretty much what it comes down to at the end of the day. I have to say that firstly, I have read up a lot on potential e-cig regulation but my knowledge is still limited compared to some others. However, I was not particularly surprised by today's ruling, I was pretty much expecting it. Not because I was being defeatist but because another fundamental truth is that almost by definition legal processes will generally work to the advantage of the establishment that controls them. That point is especially true when it comes to law making. We all know that the establishment as a whole favours tobacco and nicotine cessation over tobacco harm-control. Its also pretty much a given that they will listen to and accommodate the interests of multi-billion pound tobacco corporations and pharmaceutical companies over consumers and far smaller businesses in the e-cig trade.

I hope that there is some way to defeat this legislation in the courts and I'm not saying its impossible just that such things are generally very difficult. I think public protests and raising awareness would go along way as I'm sure a lot of people that use e-cigs don't understand how this will affect them if they are even aware of it at all. I went into a local B&M shop recently and the bloke that ran the shop was actually in favour of the legislation because of safety! I only discussed the regulation of e-liquid with him but I don't think he had a clue about how this could potentially affect his business.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
This sent chills up my spine

"The new Directive includes strong measures against illicit trade of tobacco products to ensure that only products complying with the Directive are sold in the EU. It introduces an EU-wide tracking and tracing system for the legal supply chain and visible and invisible security features (e.g. holograms) which should facilitate law enforcement and help authorities and consumers detect illicit products. The measures foreseen in the new Directive will help to redirect tobacco trade to legal channels, and may also help Member States restore lost revenue."

Yup. All about the revenue.

Passunca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
of course they have.
The industry / dealers make more money with non-refillable throwaway junk.

Big Tobacco - gains. Gets the EU e-cig market handed to them on a silver platter. To market their silly, ineffective, overpriced throwaway trash to the entire EU. Competition wiped out - thanks to "friendly" politicians.
Big Pharma - gains. Can continue to sell expensive, ineffective NRTs and make a bundle on selling treatment for sick smokers.
Big Government - gains Can continue to collect cigarette taxes.

The only one who loses in this deal is the consumer. The human being. But who on earth cares about human beings anyway?

The sad and true fact.

Europe has fallen indeed but, we don't surrender.

Payback time!
I will start in next EU elections.

Keep strong and vape on!

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
I'm a little confused about three things. [ This thread sought to at least ask some of those Qs, but it didn't appear to go anywhere http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...would-ban-flavor-labeling-ecigs-e-liquid.html ]

Refillable cartridges containing nicotine of up to 2ml will be allowed (allegedly, unless a member state decides on a more restrictive rule), but this doesn't appear to affect devices, right? As long as a device like a tankomizer (etc.) is sold w/o being filled, it's not explicitly banned by the TPD?

Will unflavored 2% e-juice sales still be allowed (effectively nic. juice right)?

Finally (and this is a broader Q of EU governance that I don't really understand) ... what happens if a member state just decides that it won't enforce the rules? After all, it's not as if Maastrict made much of a diffo., as far as I can tell - just as one ex. Although that was a long time ago.

I'm a little confused about three things. [ This thread sought to at least ask some of those Qs, but it didn't appear to go anywhere http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...would-ban-flavor-labeling-ecigs-e-liquid.html ]

Refillable cartridges containing nicotine of up to 2ml will be allowed (allegedly, unless a member state decides on a more restrictive rule), but this doesn't appear to affect devices, right? As long as a device like a tankomizer (etc.) is sold w/o being filled, it's not explicitly banned by the TPD?

No its the actual volume of the device that's restricted (presumably its volume in relation to e-liquid and not empty space):
Updated info post: TPD – provisions relating to e-cigarettes « The counterfactual
3. Member States shall ensure that:
a) nicotine-containing liquid is only placed on the market in dedicated refill containers not exceeding a volume of 10 ml, in disposable electronic cigarettes or in single use cartridges and that the cartridges or tanks do not exceed a volume of 2 ml;

Will unflavored 2% e-juice sales still be allowed (effectively nic. juice right)?

(22a) ‘refill container’ means a receptacle that contains a nicotine-containing liquid, which can be used to refill an electronic cigarette;
Can't see why it wouldn't be allowed if its no more than 20mg/ml / 2%.

Finally (and this is a broader Q of EU governance that I don't really understand) ... what happens if a member state just decides that it won't enforce the rules? After all, it's not as if Maastrict made much of a diffo., as far as I can tell - just as one ex. Although that was a long time ago.
No idea :)

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
No its the actual volume of the device that's restricted (presumably its volume in relation to e-liquid and not empty space):
Updated info post: TPD – provisions relating to e-cigarettes « The counterfactual

So the bottom line is that an empty cartomizer, tankomizer, etc. is an "e-cigarette" for purposes of Art 18. In fact anything that can vaporize a liquid and which can be hand-held would be considered that? (As long as it wasn't a medical device?) Even a kit that the customer can use to build a MOD themselves? Can they ban batteries, too? (Etc.)

This is where I'm confused, because I thought that to be subject to 18, something had to contain nicotine as sold by the manufacturer. Am I wrong about that?

So the bottom line is that an empty cartomizer, tankomizer, etc. is an "e-cigarette" for purposes of Art 18. In fact anything that can vaporize a liquid and which can be hand-held would be considered that? (As long as it wasn't a medical device?) Even a kit that the customer can use to build a MOD themselves? Can they ban batteries, too? (Etc.)

This is where I'm confused, because I thought that to be subject to 18, something had to contain nicotine as sold by the manufacturer. Am I wrong about that?
(21a) ‘electronic cigarette’ means a product that can be used for consumption of nicotine-containing vapour via a mouth piece, or any component of that product, including a cartridge, a tank and the device without cartridge or tank. Electronic cigarettes can be disposable or refillable by means of a refill container and a tank, or rechargeable with single use cartridges;
So yeah basically I think all parts of the e-cig are covered by the term for the purpose of the directive. The only thing that I think escapes it is nic free liquid. (EDIT: sorry didn't see your last post Anjaffm)

Last edited:

Dave_in_OK

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
San Antonio Texas
Been off the boards and twitter for awhile due in part to just how depressing it is to watch those put in positions to protect the citizens become the ones we need protection from. This is a bad day but not the last day. Vapers need support those that support them oppose those that attack and inform those still willing to listen but under no circumstances except this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread