FDA trans fat

Status
Not open for further replies.

XeniaVaper

Aug 13, 2015
sorry,I may be in the wrong forum, but it is about the FDA.
so I recently had a blood lipid panel, and it was not too great. As such,I have greatly changed my diet and become much more contentious about the food I eat. This had led me to learn about fat. The opinion of fast being bad has changed,btw. Saturated fat really is not bad for you. Trans fat is of course very bad for you. Trans fat Comes mainly from partially hydrogenated vegetable oils. It is used in fried foods, baked products, snack foods, pretty much everything. In 2006 e averaged 4.7 pounds per year per person.
anyway to the point. The FDA has recently deemed that trans fat is not safe for human consumption.
after only 60 years and millions of deaths. The best part? And hopefully this mentality goes into the vaping regulation, though doubtful, done vaping doesn't kill.
trans fat, being deemed poison, is to be removed from all food products. They are allowing 3 years to comply. AND, they will grant trans fat exemptions. Meanwhile, for the last 8 years or so, companies have been allowed to fool us, labeling less than .5 grams as 0.
in the mean time, make sure you watch for partially hydrogenated pills on your food.
trans fat raises ldl, lowers hdl, and is shown to be more effective at clothing stores/inducing atherosclerosis than much higher quantities of saturated fat. As little as 2 grams a day is related to a 46% increase in cardiovascular risk

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The Questionable Link Between Saturated Fat and Heart Disease

"The new study's conclusion shouldn't surprise anyone familiar with modern nutritional science, however. The fact is, there has never been solid evidence for the idea that these fats cause disease. We only believe this to be the case because nutrition policy has been derailed over the past half-century by a mixture of personal ambition, bad science, politics and bias."

"Our distrust of saturated fat can be traced back to the 1950s, to a man named Ancel Benjamin Keys, a scientist at the University of Minnesota. Dr. Keys was formidably persuasive and, through sheer force of will, rose to the top of the nutrition world—even gracing the cover of Time magazine—for relentlessly championing the idea that saturated fats raise cholesterol and, as a result, cause heart attacks."

"Critics have pointed out that Dr. Keys violated several basic scientific norms in his study. For one, he didn't choose countries randomly but instead selected only those likely to prove his beliefs, including Yugoslavia, Finland and Italy."

"Dr. Keys therefore undercounted their consumption of saturated fat. Also, due to problems with the surveys, he ended up relying on data from just a few dozen men—far from the representative sample of 655 that he had initially selected. These flaws weren't revealed until much later, in a 2002 paper by scientists investigating the work on Crete—but by then, the misimpression left by his erroneous data had become international dogma."

"In 1961, Dr. Keys sealed saturated fat's fate by landing a position on the nutrition committee of the American Heart Association, whose dietary guidelines are considered the gold standard. Although the committee had originally been skeptical of his hypothesis, it issued, in that year, the country's first-ever guidelines targeting saturated fats. The U.S. Department of Agriculture followed in 1980."

------

All of this sound scarily familiar. :facepalm: Same junk science, same 'usual suspects'. And there is also a 'trans fats' hoax as well, but that's another subject.....

XeniaVaper

Aug 13, 2015
could be a hoax. But we all know processed food is unhealthy, and coincidentally enough, they tend to have trans fats. Either way, it is an artificially created additive, which I gladly rough will avoid. Exposed to high heat, all unsaturated days convert to trans, but why do it intentionally, ya know? We are evolved to consume significant amounts of normal saturated fat, and appear to not suffer any Ill effects, I'll prefer to trust God's handiwork over the food scientists

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
could be a hoax. But we all know processed food is unhealthy, and coincidentally enough, they tend to have trans fats. Either way, it is an artificially created additive, which I gladly rough will avoid. Exposed to high heat, all unsaturated days convert to trans, but why do it intentionally, ya know? We are evolved to consume significant amounts of normal saturated fat, and appear to not suffer any Ill effects, I'll prefer to trust God's handiwork over the food scientists

Understood. Some trans fats are natural (in cattle and sheep milk, meat/fat) but most are not - they're hydrogenated for preserving certain foods that may be more harmful if not preserved. Much of it is in the same vein as some of the junk science on ecigs - 'correlation not causation', dose size - generally small for most foods, but larger doses should get some attention, and generally junk science by interested parties.

Fear of margarine: The trans fat myth

That said, avoiding them isn't going to hurt you like avoiding regular fat may. I think it is the low fat diet that is responsible for much of the obesity happening since that original Time article from the 50's. Time mag has noted the findings and have corrected/apologized.

XeniaVaper

Aug 13, 2015
I wouldn't say that lots fat in itself is bad as much as the fact that low fat coincides with high sodium, and a disproportionate increase in carbs, typically refined sugars, which should blood sugar, and triglycerides. As well as causing a reinforcing chuckle of over consumption. So, not so much the lack of fat, but the alternative foods we consume to avoid it. Personally,I make no effort to avoid saturated fat, I am keen to avoid partial hydrogenation, and high fructose

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
But we all know processed food is unhealthy, and coincidentally enough, they tend to have trans fats.

This may well be true of "processed food", but I tend to take a step back whenever I see a statement that starts with "We all know" or "Everybody knows". After all, it wasn't so long ago that we all knew about the dangers of saturated fats.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I think it is the low fat diet that is responsible for much of the obesity happening since that original Time article from the 50's.
'Tis true, at least in part. But I think another factor is the reduction in smoking / nicotine consumption.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
'Tis true, at least in part. But I think another factor is the reduction in smoking / nicotine consumption.

Very true. I started with a low-fat diet about 22 yrs ago, and somehow, never have become obese. Could it be because I kept smoking (until 2014!)? I've gained a smidge since I quit smoking, but I'm sure that if I'd done with it any way other than vaping, I'd have gained a lot more than a smidge. I tend to "hover" right around 145-ish now, though I stayed anywhere from 135-140 until fairly recently. I'd love to get back to 135-ish, but my metabolism has slowed down dramatically, as I've gotten older.

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

That's why I said "for much of the obesity" - perhaps I should have said "some" :- ) I've posted the obesity/smoking graph - it's a big X as obesity rises and smoking falls.... maybe vaping - if it's allowed to continue, can reverse that trend.

Reactions: Rossum

XeniaVaper

Aug 13, 2015
This may well be true of "processed food", but I tend to take a step back whenever I see a statement that starts with "We all know" or "Everybody knows". After all, it wasn't so long ago that we all knew about the dangers of saturated fats.
I can't disagree. But I don't need a scientist or a degree to tell me that a slim Jim is not a healthy alternative to a sirloin. I'm a firm believer that food should be grown, and not manufactured, these processes foods are as far from natural as we can really get. Neither good not evolution has designed is to eat that kinda stuff.
I don't really wanna get into epigenetics, but I'm sure you can she with me on this idea, presuming you know about this field of study.
ever heard of the paleo diet? I should stop posting, I'm so tired, I'm not even sure how coherent these posts are
edit: I guess I should change we all know to it should be evident

Last edited:

XeniaVaper

Aug 13, 2015
Very true. I started with a low-fat diet about 22 yrs ago, and somehow, never have become obese. Could it be because I kept smoking (until 2014!)? I've gained a smidge since I quit smoking, but I'm sure that if I'd done with it any way other than vaping, I'd have gained a lot more than a smidge. I tend to "hover" right around 145-ish now, though I stayed anywhere from 135-140 until fairly recently. I'd love to get back to 135-ish, but my metabolism has slowed down dramatically, as I've gotten older.

Andria
switch to low carb. Or moderate carb. I can't really recommend sending yourself into constant ketosis, but don't worry so much about fast, limit to around 100 carbs. You will naturally drop your intake by( don't remember exactly, but small studies and largely anecdotal findings have suggested ) 1000 calories. Fast keeps you satiated better than sugar so you still not be hungry as often. High carb also causes increased insulin which prevents your body from burning stored fat

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
switch to low carb. Or moderate carb. I can't really recommend sending yourself into constant ketosis

This is true for certain individuals with problems that ketosis could exacerbate, however, having done the original Atkins diet - by the book, with ketostix, etc. getting 0 carbs (for the first week) was really hard since so many foods, even natural foods, have carbs in them - but once you become aware of that, it becomes easier. Although there are different metabolisms for individuals - most people do not experience ketosis above around 30-60 carbs and that is really low for many, even healthy, food products including many vegetables that have some carbs in them. Your 100 carb limit is reasonable. The great things about Atkins and Atkins-like diets is that you don't 'starve' yourself and can keep full. Any successful calorie diet is one that is also low in carbs. If you went strictly by calories - say a 1200 (or even 600) calorie diet and it was all in malted milk shakes, you'd gain weight. :- )

Reactions: XeniaVaper

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
switch to low carb. Or moderate carb. I can't really recommend sending yourself into constant ketosis, but don't worry so much about fast, limit to around 100 carbs. You will naturally drop your intake by( don't remember exactly, but small studies and largely anecdotal findings have suggested ) 1000 calories. Fast keeps you satiated better than sugar so you still not be hungry as often. High carb also causes increased insulin which prevents your body from burning stored fat

With my low fat diet, if I also ate low carb, I would have nothing to eat! And I cannot, WILL not live without sugar, PERIOD.

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
With my low fat diet, if I also ate low carb, I would have nothing to eat! And I cannot, WILL not live without sugar, PERIOD.

Andria

I have a weakness for good pastry. (no cake though). I stayed away from soda/pop and candy bars in my original Atkins diet and lost the need for them. If I have any soda - it's because I have an upset stomach and Schweppes Ginger Ale seems to help that :- ) I have about 6 a year.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I have a weakness for good pastry. (no cake though). I stayed away from soda/pop and candy bars in my original Atkins diet and lost the need for them. If I have any soda - it's because I have an upset stomach and Schweppes Ginger Ale seems to help that :- ) I have about 6 a year.

Well people seem to think that I eat low-fat out of choice, but that is very much not the case -- the only choice in the matter is, do I want to be sick and miserable for 3 days after eating a lot of fat, or do I want to eat in a way that won't make me sick and miserable? I choose the latter, and that means, "low fat, almost-zero cholesterol" -- thankyouverymuch, gall stones! I can eat bacon and sausage just fine, because pork contains little if any cholesterol, but if I eat beef, it must be the ABSOLUTE LEANEST cut available -- filet mignon or tenderloin type, and I really can't eat eggs at all, beyond the small amounts that are in baked goods -- I put a little chopped egg white in my sausage 'n grits, for flavor, but the yolk is a complete no-go.

So, if I also ate low-carb... I would literally be starving. The key is, complex carbs should make up the bulk of them, and since I also eat very high fiber, thx to IBS, that's by far the bulk of my diet. I used to be extremely carnivorous, couldn't really see the point of bread at all except to keep the meat and cheese together in a sandwich... but the gallstones have changed all that, almost completely. Brown rice, whole wheat pasta, double-fiber bread. But I refuse to eliminate sugar, I LIKE sugar! That's why I try to keep it to a minimum, so that hopefully I never have to do without it.

Andria

Reactions: Kent C
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread