Transitioning from smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orphiel

May 21, 2017
Ooh, nicotine salts sound interesting, cheers, I'll check that out :) I think I didn't get bad advice around the tank because this one is better, but definitely when speaking to the vape shop they really underestimate actually how much nicotine you need and also the fact that if I've only got a 30 watt mod then I'm not going to be getting enough power to get more nicotine from 6mg, if you see what I mean. So yeah, not argumentative at all :) I'm trying to work out what makes a difference and what doesn't, so the input on power is really helpful. At the moment i do about 19-20 watts, but may drop it down when the new liquid comes - i smoked around 10 rollies a day, so not a huge amount, which is why I thought 12 was probably about right, but trial and error, heh.

Reactions: Eskie

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Ok, did a quick search on Mr Salt-E and you can get it over here at 20 and 12.5, so think I might order a couple of those to try out in my tank, then if I get on with them can always look at getting one of the vape pods - don't want to spend money on the whole system before I know if it'll work! Good plan?

Hold on a moment. Where are you?

As for vape pods... I see these as the last resort stuff in all honesty.

Reactions: Orphiel

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I'm in the UK. I'm overthinking stuff now again :( I think I just need to try different strengths and flavours but I keep looking at pods and trying to second guess myself.

Can I be honest. Pod systems are an attempt by the vape industry to send us back to the bad days of closed system vaping.
Just as drinking Tassimo will cost you 10 times the price of making a coffee filter coffee, make no mistake, closed system pods are nothing short of an excuse to extract money from people who known no better or lack the desire to learn about vaping other than they want to vape rather than smoke and don't care about the cost.

£12 for 6ml of e-liquid. (remember, you can't vape less, because NONE of it is over 20mg, by law).

£14 buys 40ml of TPD licensed e-liquid.

Shall we compare running costs. 3ml per day? £6 for pods. £1 for standard vape tank + 30p for the coil in the tank.

£475 a year or £2,000..... TWO THOUSAND a year.

Who wants to be a part of that?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Oh.... before I crash out.

I smoked roll-ups. 14-16-18 a day. Doesn't sound much, but I reckon much more nicotine than a pack of standard fags.

It took me 3 months to quit smoking. (I discount the first month using E-Lites, because basically the product was a fraud.)

How long have you been vaping? If it's just 2 weeks and you went 'warm turkey' by vaping but completely stopping smoking, then you are only just into the journey.

Hang in there. :)

Reactions: Orphiel

Orphiel

May 21, 2017
Cheers, I agree about the extra than a normal pack with roll ups, a straight cigarette wouldn't satisfy me. And some extremely good points re the cash difference! I might try the salts e liquid for the transition, cos yeah, only 2 weeks in, so maybe it'll help in the meantime, but you're right about the extra cost, seems silly when you put it like that!

Reactions: djsvapour

Orphiel

May 21, 2017
Update - my 12 mg finally arrived, and it's better than 6 mg for definite, but I'm still basically chain vaping to get any satisfaction. Also accidentally dropped a bunch of liquid down the middle of the coil so had to take apart, clear out and reassemble the whole thing, d'oh.
Hoping my 20mg gets here tomorrow so I can work out a level that works for me and stop craving cigarettes!

The coil incident did make me think about getting a back up sooner rather than later, will start another thread about that to stop going off topic here :)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
When a co worker showed me his vape I figured it was my last chance. I wanted it to work, didn't want it to fail. I did a couple of things that might apply to others. I wanted no pressure. I'll smoke when I want but won't stop vaping no matter what. Immediately my daily cigs went from 25 to five with no effort. I decided to leave it at that and learn to vape meaning, what devices and liquids to use. Six weeks later I get a call that someones has died so I'll be leaving work for a few days, etc. I happened to be out of cigs. I stopped at a vape shop and bought some fresh toys instead of stopping at a gas station to buy a carton of cigs. That combination did the trick. I pined for a smoke for the next month or so but always forgot to stop and buy another carton. The first couple months of no cigs were low stress because I was sure a relapse would be back to 5 cigs, not 25. What vaping did was make cigs taste and smell awful. That transition took a couple of months. I could smoke a cig today with zero risk of relapse. I got a brother started vaping a couple months after me. He was a dual user for 10 months. He stopped smoking entirely on the weekend he had to attend a funeral. If you happen to be vaping when one of those motivation moments comes around you're more likely to succeed.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Consider your old habits when choosing a setup and nicotine level. If you were a chain smoker regardless of what strength cigarette you used assume your brain will want that same amount of hand to mouth stimulation.

Buy a flavor you enjoy in the same pg/vg mix, one at high nicotine levels and one very low. Use the DiY info to mix it down incrementally until you feel satisfied but not slammed by the hits. Once you know your nicotine level order that from now on and take baby steps as you gradually lower it. The keys to vaping being a successful way to quit smoking is that you have a reliable and easy to maintain/use device, and that you keep a supply of flavors you enjoy at a nicotine level that works for you.

Mods and rebuildables were a thing because some of us love to tinker with things, not because they are necessary or a "step up" from other setups. The best setup is the one that works, liquid included.

Orphiel

May 21, 2017
Updating. had a pretty hard couple of days - only didn't give in and have a cig because my next door neighbour with the roll ups was out, and my other neighbour only had pre-made (which I hate, haha) so managed to resist the urge! I think I've found a reasonable nicotine level - I bought some of the quick nic stuff that they sell to put in your 0ml liquid, which is 20mg, and ended up vaping that - just unflavoured 70% pg 30% vg stuff, to see if it worked, and it was pretty good (by which I mean I was able to stop vaping after a few minutes and actually got on the edge of a light-headed headache, which is what I wanted to know for the limits! Was an issue yesterday because I was basically planning to vape that until I felt slightly sick and shaky to get an idea but actually had insomnia the last few nights which meant I was constantly slightly sick and shaky... More fun times of giving up smoking. I also have this lump feeling at the back of my throat all the time, which I know is the quitting, happens every time, and then also every time I start again, but super annoying.

Mixed the quick nic half and half with some pretty strongly flavoured vanilla 12 mg and that's been ok this morning, although flavour not brilliant, and I've dropped down by adding similar flavoured 6mg to half the tank for the afternoon, which seems to be my thing - definitely need more in the morning, and then the afternoon is more of a habit than the nicotine. So I'm kind of using the method you suggest, D4rk50ul, except with less finesse, lol. Talked to my husband last night about feeling rubbish and unsatisfied and the big issue seems to be that all the vape shops I can get to locally are for people who've been vaping for ages and only want 6mg or lower liquid - coupled with the fact I really need high vg it's been super hard to find anything to actually try or at least smell. So husband suggested that as I feel like the nicotine level is probably right around 16-18mg I just order a bunch online on the credit card and look at it as an investment in not getting cancer, haha, like just basically order £30 worth of different flavours in that nicotine level and then try them all until I find something that works. I do have a bunch of 6mg that is nicely flavoured (as a load of shops were selling them off super cheap before the TPD date) so I can dilute them down as and when I need to.

I do find it really frustrating that all the vape shop staff kind of look at me weird when I want over 6mg, I got a bit ranty yesterday to some mates about how they need to cater not only for hobbyist cloud chasers but also for people who need to quit smoking, but feel like that was probably a bit unreasonable, seeing as how I'm getting such good advice and support from the vaping community at large, haha. Will put it down to the withdrawal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread