Travel and Vaping Traveling US to Canada. Any Customs Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapoKev

Mar 18, 2014
Illinois, USA
I will be flying from the US to Canada this summer, then cruising back to the US. I think I'm good with what I can carry on the plane. And I know the cruise line's policy (I can vape in the cabin and designated outside smoking areas). I'm just wondering what I should expect going through customs into Canada and back into the US. Has anyone had any trouble crossing the border with their vape gear?

VapoKev

Mar 18, 2014
Illinois, USA
Unless I get some advice before the trip, I'm going to operate on a couple of assumptions. Mainly, bring as little equipment as I need, maybe my Vision Spinner and a Kanger battery and a couple of Evod or Pro Tank Mini tanks. I want it to be obvious that I'm bringing it only for my personal use. Also, I think I'll bring just two or three smallish bottles of liquid. I plan to bring Johnson Creek, since they seem to have the most comprehensive labeling. Hopefully, that will minimize the attention the stuff receives and satisfy any curiosity about the liquids. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but I'd rather err on the side of minimizing attention. In the past I've been able to go back and forth across the border with no hassles. But this is the first time I'll be bringing something where the laws are evolving and unsettled.

JaRod

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Delray Beach FL
I am a frequent traveler, but I have no experience going to Canada. However in my last two international trips I took with me, in my carry on bag, a case with a Sigelei 20watts, a Panzer, 1 kaifun and 1 Magoo, plus an evod/Itazte v3 in my backpack, and the TSA didn't even open my bags. I put the E liquids with the rest of my liquids in bottles of less than 4 floz, in a transparent ziplock, and that's about it. About Canada customs I guess it depends on what is the legislation over there about personal vaporizers, batteries e liquids etc.

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
The OP is a little dated, but I seriously doubt you'd have any problems coming here with your gear. US customs are a lot stricter than Canadian customs and our e-cig laws are still very vague in general (okay, it's supposed to be illegal and yet our biggest vendors have won in court because they are not doing anything illegal... as I said, VERY vague). As a rule of thumb (but never assume anything if you want to be on the safe side): Canadian laws mostly parallel what's valid in most states. There are no death penalties anywhere in Canada if that can help you relax a bit. The worst you risk is having illegal stuff seized and, in extreme cases, entry denied. If you can get on the plane, you're good. If you're in a car or ground transportation, they won't say anything unless you're carrying so much stuff you look like you're trying to sell it. Keep your juices to the normal air transport limitations and batteries in your carry-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread