Travelling to China next week... Airport security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Aguilar

Sep 21, 2016
Hi guys, sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place. I just hope you can help me. I will be travelling from Los Angeles to Seoul, next week, and I have a layover in China. I want to take my mod to Seoul but I am worried I won't be able to get it pass through security at the airports in those 2 places(Beijing airport and Incheon Airport). Do you know if my mod might get confiscated? Thanks.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
It depends on where your China layover is. Hong Kong would be worrisome.

Tobacco Control Office Department of Health - Info-Station

4. Is the sale and procession of e-cigarette regulated in Hong Kong?

Under the Pharmacy and Poisons Ordinance (Chapter 138, Laws of Hong Kong), nicotine is a Part I poison. E-cigarette containing nicotine is regarded as pharmaceutical product and must be registered with the Pharmacy and Poisons Board before sale or distribution. Possession or sale of unregistered pharmaceutical product, and the possession or sale without authority of Part I poison, are both offences. Each offence shall be liable on conviction to maximum penalty of $100,000 fine and 2 years’ imprisonment.

The rest of China should be OK, but there's very little documentation regarding hard and fast rules for the country.

South Korea is fine. No issues there.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you're simply connecting through Beijing, China's policies should not apply (please note should not) as you will remain in the international zone of the airport for your connection to Seoul. However, unless they have attached smoking areas in that zone, which they might, should you decide to step outside for a vape, you would then be forced to pass through Chinese customs and immigration. When you're in the international zone you're technically not on Chinese soil. Have a safe trip!

Rob Aguilar

Sep 21, 2016
Yeah I am only connecting through Beijing 4 hours, I think. I have contacted the airport to confirm and they seem to be more concerned about the batteries than the mod itself. They replied with

"Dear passenger:

Separate ithium batteries must put in your carry-on baggage.and Battery rated energy must be less than 160wh, if Battery rated energy between100wh`160wh,your airline company must allow you take it." (sic)

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yeah I am only connecting through Beijing 4 hours, I think. I have contacted the airport to confirm and they seem to be more concerned about the batteries than the mod itself. They replied with

"Dear passenger:

Separate ithium batteries must put in your carry-on baggage.and Battery rated energy must be less than 160wh, if Battery rated energy between100wh`160wh,your airline company must allow you take it." (sic)

Yeah, that's everyone's concern. Not without reason, either. All I do when flying is keep all my batteries in my carry on, and make sure they're either in plastic battery cases or silicone sleeves to prevent any shorts. Never had TSA ever say a word about them like that.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
Someone I might know had an expereince goign through and being in a country that has a strict no Vaping policy.

They took a simple cheaper mod that they it wasnt the end of the world if they lost. It also didnt outwardly look like a Mod. it was more of a box with internal batteries.
They took an RDA, but had it in a seperate part of the carry on bag.

They took 30 mls of juice, in their pocket, since there is no reason for anyone to check the pockets for an item that isnt metal. .

going through was completely fine. When the person went through security to return, One of the agents took out the RDA, Snickered and put it back in, since i was leaving.

Usually pretty lax with what you take out. It is what you bring in that counts, but since vaping isnt banned where you are leaving from, It will be fine.

Seoul has no issue. Not sure on China

Snoogans

Verified Member
Jul 21, 2016
I have similar issue. Flying to USA via Beijing later this year. My experiences from 2015 were worrisome in that we had to go through security again after we landed at Beijing airport to get to our gate. They confiscated two of my power banks because they didnt have the Mah written on them anywhere. Lesson learned but now am concerned about my mod. I'm thinking it should be safe as long as I remove my battery. We shall see...

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I have similar issue. Flying to USA via Beijing later this year. My experiences from 2015 were worrisome in that we had to go through security again after we landed at Beijing airport to get to our gate. They confiscated two of my power banks because they didnt have the Mah written on them anywhere. Lesson learned but now am concerned about my mod. I'm thinking it should be safe as long as I remove my battery. We shall see...

Perhaps find a low mah rated 18650 power bank that is easily disassembled, swap out their batteries for yours....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread