Tried of the poor quality control on e-cig parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolfe99

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
San Francisco
Sorry but this is a bit of a rant. I've been vaping for 2 years now, continuously. Not had a drag off a cigarette since the day my first e-cig kit came in the mail. Yay me.

However, the most frustrating thing for me right now is the poor quality of these parts. Ego batteries, for example, seem to last an eternity, in terms of battery life. But that damn button spring breaks about 3-4 months in, almost every time. To the trash it goes, another $20 to replace it.

These USB chargers are even worse. They are pieces of crap. Without fail, after a few months I start to have trouble getting the light to go red and have to fiddle with it constantly, before it ultimately will not go red anymore and must be replaced. And they charge like $7 for this thing that has about 25 cents worth of parts in it.

Then there's the atomizers and cartos where about 1 in 10 are DoA. And who cares about return policies and warranties. Who is going to the trouble to send back a $5 atomizer? It isn't worth it and they know it.

Then there's the fact that no atomizer besides genuine Joyes vapes well past about 2-3 days. The Joyes give me about 2 weeks so that is all I can use.

I'm starting to think that this is planned obsolescence. They purposefully make it crappy so that you have to buy a replacement sooner. Personally, I'd be willing to pay more for something that lasts.

End rant.

Last edited:

Malduk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Croatia
I'm starting to think that this is planned obsolescence. They purposefully make it crappy so that you have to buy a replacement sooner.

This is a common practice with a huge percentage of electronic devices. And I'm not saying it as a frustrated consumer, but as someone who's on the "other side".

You can always opt for a more expensive gear/mods.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
i think the ego-c was designed to surpass the replacement flaw. changing parts instead of the whole unit. i think e-power does the same.

im glad my ego days were short lived. i went from KR8 to ego and then from ego to box mod in a fraction of the time. ive been vaping since september.

as far as the cartos go, ive surely gotten my share of dead ducks. but the ones that work well seem to truck on forever. ive had cartos last months. then again, i switch flavors constantly.

Samyaza

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
London, ON
Carts and atties drive me mad, I gave up on them and now use clearos. I mod them once - then re-use them about 20 times before the wick frays too much. At $12 for 5 I'd say they are well worth it.

I've only had a non slim 510 ST for about a month, but so far no problems and I am planning on a Provari which I assume will last longer than 10 Egos (I have passthrough egos so if one way of charging them fails I can use the other one).

Honestly it's all still so much cheaper than smoking if a pack of 5 clearos last a month and an ego lasts 3 months, that's $20 per month on hardware vs my previous $180 per month on analogs.

woolfe99

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
San Francisco
This is a common practice with a huge percentage of electronic devices. And I'm not saying it as a frustrated consumer, but as someone who's on the "other side".

You can always opt for a more expensive gear/mods.

Recommend me an "expensive gear/mod." Seriously, I'll spend up to $200 on a kit if this stuff will last a long time, and by that I mean more than 6 months where I have to replace nothing besides the atomizer. Do they come with chargers that do not break every 3 months?

Shizzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2011
the burbs
Ego batteries, for example, seem to last an eternity, in terms of battery life. But that damn button spring breaks about 3-4 months in, almost every time. To the trash it goes, another $20 to replace it.

These USB chargers are even worse. They are pieces of crap. Without fail, after a few months I start to have trouble getting the light to go red and have to fiddle with it constantly, before it ultimately will not go red anymore and must be replaced. And they charge like $7 for this thing that has about 25 cents worth of parts in it.

i've had the same 4 ego batteries and the same 2 chargers for a year...are you sure you purchased genuine joye products? (the knockoff batteries usually have a soft, squishy button, rather than a hard one).

woolfe99

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
San Francisco
i think the ego-c was designed to surpass the replacement flaw. changing parts instead of the whole unit. i think e-power does the same.

im glad my ego days were short lived. i went from KR8 to ego and then from ego to box mod in a fraction of the time. ive been vaping since september.

as far as the cartos go, ive surely gotten my share of dead ducks. but the ones that work well seem to truck on forever. ive had cartos last months. then again, i switch flavors constantly.

I've tried at least a dozen varieties of cartos, most of them heavily recommended by people on this forum. The longest I've ever gotten one to vape well is 3 days. Most are down in 36 hours. About 6 months ago I gave up on them entirely. I now exclusively drip genuine Joye atties. Anything else is too expensive even if it costs only $1 per unit because I have to replace it too often.

woolfe99

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
San Francisco
i've had the same 4 ego batteries and the same 2 chargers for a year...are you sure you purchased genuine joye products? (the knockoff batteries usually have a soft, squishy button, rather than a hard one).

These have clear plastic, hard buttons. I had 2 of them literally break within 48 hours last month and I had to do a rush order because I was down to just one battery, and it was an old 650 MaH. I think the total that have had buttons break is 6 now. I've had only 2 go to the end of the battery life. It was one full year for one and about 9 months for another. So I know they will last if that button will just keep functioning.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Woolfe99, I feel your pain. Been there and done that, but got over it.

First step was getting a good quality mod and batteries for it. My "go-to because it always works whenever I need it" mod is ProVapes ProVari.

After going through all kinds of different cartos and attys, I have settled on Ikenvape's I06 and Avid Vaper's HH.357. Can't touch either one for anything close to $5 though. I use to go through Joye attys every 1-2 weeks and usually closer to the 1 than the 2. An I06, with the I06 drip tip, lasts me at least 4-5 weeks, so it is a bargin in terms of value. The HH.357 has a bit of a lighter draw, but produces more vapor and last me about twice what an I06 does. (Since my mods are variable voltage, the attys I use are 2.5 Ohms to allow me to swing through the wattage range I tend to vape in.)

My first purchased mod was a straight forward big battery and switch and it lasted me 18 months before it went to bye-bye. By then I had worn 80% of the chrome off. It was a sad day until I realized how long it had lasted and how hard I used it before it went.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
I hear you 100%. I have a Provari and have been trying to find what will work worth a dam, that I can use it with. Whats the point of spending that much if u cant use it to its potential? Very frustrating. I really want a rebuildable but everyone I know of is never in stock. How I only get 2-3 days out of a boge carto with a Arry tank is beyond me when no one else seems to be having the same problem. Its madness. Then when u bring it up people can only come out of the wood work to defend the product. I will take a look at what Hoosier uses though.

conan

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
USA
Recommend me an "expensive gear/mod." Seriously, I'll spend up to $200 on a kit if this stuff will last a long time, and by that I mean more than 6 months where I have to replace nothing besides the atomizer. Do they come with chargers that do not break every 3 months?

Provari, pila charger, and Aw batteries.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
How I only get 2-3 days out of a boge carto with a Arry tank is beyond me when no one else seems to be having the same problem. Its madness.

You got me beat. I can get an "OK" vape out of a boge carto for less than an hour. Topping off or refilling just brings the whole thing down below "OK". The Gold V2 cartos from Ikenvape went a full day for me with a "good" vape, which is the best carto I've been able to find.

Unfortunately I want/need a "great" vape.

I know what you mean. I sometimes feel like I'm getting attacked when I state I do not like cartos or that cartos do not work for me. I start getting suggestions for how I'm using them wrong. Trust me folks, I've tried everything, probably more things than you've ever thought of, but they still don't work for me. I'd really like them to. I'd like a simple, long lasting, next to no filling vape that was great time after time. I drip because that is what gives me that great vape.

Malduk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Croatia
As others have stated, you can't miss with ProVari. If you're not into variable voltage, there are mechanical mods out there with "lifetime" warranty. Some of which are a bit hard to get your hands on as they get sold pretty fast, but something like SaberTouch could work for you. It comes in different sizes and coatings, also as a VV too, and they don't have that dreadful button you are worried about. I don't own one myself, so I cannot recommend it from personal experience, but I am thinking about getting one of these as a backup mod.

woolfe99

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
San Francisco
You got me beat. I can get an "OK" vape out of a boge carto for less than an hour. Topping off or refilling just brings the whole thing down below "OK". The Gold V2 cartos from Ikenvape went a full day for me with a "good" vape, which is the best carto I've been able to find.

Unfortunately I want/need a "great" vape.

I know what you mean. I sometimes feel like I'm getting attacked when I state I do not like cartos or that cartos do not work for me. I start getting suggestions for how I'm using them wrong. Trust me folks, I've tried everything, probably more things than you've ever thought of, but they still don't work for me. I'd really like them to. I'd like a simple, long lasting, next to no filling vape that was great time after time. I drip because that is what gives me that great vape.

So I'm not crazy after all. I can't tell you how gratifying it is to find that other people have these problems with cartos. And I mean ALL of them. There is no magic bullet brand that will last me more than 3 days. Ironically, the Boge, which are the cheapest, give me the most longevity, maybe 2-3 days of "acceptable" vaping. But truth be told, they aren't the same for me either after the first refill, maybe 2-3 hours. And the larger ones that cost more like $3 apiece? Forget about it. Two hours of great vaping, one day of adequate vaping, and they're either 1) clogged, 2) minimal vapor and taste, or 3) taste nasty.

I don't understand these people who get weeks and weeks out of cartos. I too have tried everything.

- wolf

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
I'd tweak that just so slightly to AW IMR batteries because of the high current draw of the boost circuit in the ProVari. (But that's what I use to a T)
So ive heard, that this is the best battery to use. The Grey on on the bottom. I was thinking about outfitting my Provari with the works but think its best to test the plethora of other things that might work better. Like the ce2 etc. I think it would be insane to spend more on the device that is already outclassing its supporting mods that should bring reliable vapor production. Callies Kustoms 3100mAh 18650 Panasonic Batteries.

muriarte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2011
Monterrey, MX / McAllen, TX
I started with an Ego and it was a hassle with attys and carts, then switched to a big batt mod and used boges... Then I just bought a Reo and all my other stuff went to a drawer to gather dust. Nothing tastes like it does on the Reo. Huge hit, huge flavor... I use it with some shorty cartos from madvapes and I´m in vaping heaven. Also, nobody thinks my Reo is a cigarrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread