www.youtube.com
Free-Happy-Fathers-Day-Images-4.jpg

Reidus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
New Orleans, LA
Happy Father's day to all you dads out there. Hope y'all are having a great day!
I decided to be a good boy and not order another mod. I came close to ordering a Vaporshark rDNA 40, especially since the price has dropped substantially. But I decided I didn't really need another mod right now, especially once I dusted off my tube mods. I'm really digging my Plasma on my Provari.

Reidus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
New Orleans, LA
Morning all. Hope y'all are having a great week!
It's hotter than heck here in good old NO. I took the girls out at 6 this morning and it was like walking into a steam bath! Believe it or not, it's too hot for ice cream! That said, I looked through my Ben and Jerrys cookbook and they have a section on sorbets. Brew, I know you said you were planning on pulling out your ice cream maker for the 4th; here's an interesting idea that might be slighter more figure-friendly. Beer sorbet! You take 1 1/2 bottles of dark beer, let them go flat and add 5 tbsps. of sugar. Mix them together and let the sugar dissolve and pour it in your ice-cream machine. If that's too weird for you, you can always take 3 cups of your favorite fruit juice, pour it into the machine, and Bam! You've got sorbet. They recommend cranberry and pineapple juices as good candidates. I'm thinking about making pineapple sorbet; maybe add a couple tbsps. of dark rum. Hmm.

Brew1961

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2011
Noblesville, IN
Oh I don't sweat the occasional calorie-laden foray. Damn the torpedoes, full scoops ahead. I told my wife about the previous recipes you referenced and am sure we'll head that way. Then we'll send the remainder away with her family. Keeps me looking "GOOD" in the family albums...:thumb::lol: Brew

Reidus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
New Orleans, LA
Morning all. Hope y'all are having a great week!
Brew, I'm torn between Myers and Captain Morgan.
Brew, here's how I make my ice cream base (adapted from B&J; I'm too much a "Murican" to really dig French-style ice cream. :D
Take 2 eggs and whisk until light and creamy, about a minute or so. Slowly add 3/4 cup sugar, and continue to whisk for about another minute or so. Than add a cup of milk and microwave it until it reaches over 160 (it takes my oven 3 minutes). Add 2 cups of heavy cream and you're ready for the machine. When I make vanilla bean ice cream I add the seeds and pod to the mix before nuking and take out the pod when I pull it out of the microwave. If you want to add stuff (I highly recommend crushed up Heath bars, but that's just me, lol) wait until it thickens, about 2 minutes before its done before adding it. That keeps it from sinking to the bottom. With this base, you can do most anything. I add chopped Andes mints to make mint chocolate chip ice cream; some instant espresso powder (instant coffee would work as well) to make coffee ice cream, add macerated strawberries to make strawberry ice cream, etc.

Brew1961

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2011
Noblesville, IN
Reidus,
Captain Morgan's might be too weak and Myers's is all out potent since they add Molasses after distilling. If you can find Kraken or Blackheart then those also carry a lot of flavor but not as much or as thick as Myers's.

Awesome!! I'm sending this on to Mrs. Brew to be sure we have what we need. Although I sent her the book links (found on Amazon) you referenced previously. She has a Kindle and I think I read the B&J book was free to view on-line. However, we will take your personal instructions as gospel. Thank you sir! Brew

Reidus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
New Orleans, LA
No prob, Brew. The only changes I make to the B&J recipe is basically taking the eggs to the pasteurization point. They use raw eggs. Can't be too careful with raw eggs these days. And I'll definitely give the Meyers a try. You can only use about 2 tbsp. in the recipe; too much and it won't freeze.

Reactions: Brew1961

Brew1961

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2011
Noblesville, IN
Reidus,
I appreciate that and agree completely.

So time for a long due update Trippy-related:
I'm seguing over to the KFL+ now after nearly 5 years of being a REO-only vaper. The Plasmas have completely spoiled me on numerous fronts and while I intend to keep my LP Grand and LP Mini 14500 for use at work or in other rough environs. I am finding these Plasmas just too good everywhere else. I use my Dark Star mods with the Plasmas when at home. However, I am moving to the Mini-Ecig MiniSticks & MicroBigs for out and about.

Our recent trip out to Vegas just amplified how difficult it is to travel with a 4 or 5 flavor a day vaping ritual. A coffee-oriented Mini 2.1 in the morning, fruits through the day with a Grand and Mini 1.0 (18 hour/day backup), a Mini 2.1 around dinner time since the Grand battery is spent by 7pm and another Grand or Mini for late-evening with my Rum symbiotic flavor. Since each mod & RBA is basically dedicated to a particular flavor and those change based on the time of day and the food or drink associated, I am finding swapping tanks in and out is just far too easy. I'm also amazed at not only the flavor uptick compared to my RBAs but the ability to go well over a week, sometimes a month, on the same coil and wick. My REOs with the RM2, Hornet or Chalice III can go max about 6 mls before the start to turn and the juice in the bottle goes dark. I love my REOS and they have their place since they're nearly indestructible but the Plasma tank is changing what I want from my vape gear.

Bert has converted me almost completely. Now to score a couple Medium Tanks and an Electron or two for taste testing...Somebody here mentioned the Electron for testing and I think that idea is brilliant. Takes me nearly 1ml to get an RBA fully saturated and seasoned to really get what an e-liquid will taste like and the Electron surely fits that bill.

Fairly soon, I'll be wheelin' and dealin' in the classifieds again. (2) LP REO Mini 2.1s with LP RM2s, (2) old-school REO Mini 1.0s with Hornets and I may even let my GITD REO VV Grand go to the right home with a couple milled RM2s on top.

Reidus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
New Orleans, LA
I feel ya, Brew. I'm hoping to score a medium to complete my set. The electron sees a lot of use when I get my zamplebox in every month. The Plasma is my go-to device. It stays filled with Rasta Blood and it goes everywhere with me. Though I'm considering getting back into squonking again (see my earlier posts, lol). So keep me posted on when you send your REOs to the classys.

Brew1961

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2011
Noblesville, IN
So what's pushing your buttons to go back to squonking not that it's bad by any means. I know you like your flavors but perhaps a bit fewer than myself. I loved the REO for indestructibility and I am hard on everything so it suited my needs. Until I tried a Plasma on a REAL Kayfun, I didn't get what I was missing and then enter the MiniStick or Gizmo in a protected side by side and I think I found the holy grail. May find I'm wrong to think this could be my one and only platform but going to give it a whirl anyway. I always liked the REO Grand and the REO 14500 Mini. But the Mini 2.1 with it's 3ml bottle is just too big for my tastes given the limited capacity. If it went 5ml maybe but I can cut through 4 mls in a day sitting at my computer at work. I also think my RBAs go through way more juice in a day then the KFL+ . On the RM2, I need to run a 1.25Ω to get to my happy place while the hornet and chalice play nice at 1.5Ω. But I can go with a KFL+ at 1.5-1.7 and always get a good vape. Just thinking out loud!!

Here's all 3 of the Mods I'm headed towards. I've had the Microstick for a while and use it with their MicroDrip RBA for pressurized environments. I ordered 2 of the MiniSticks today and can only hope they'll do another run of the MicroBigs in the future. The Gizmo is a similar device but uses a magnetic switch versus spring loaded. It also has a floating 510 but then I don't expect to drift much from the KFL platform.

MiniEcigMods1_zpsergzmvsc.jpg

sedge

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Palm Springs, CA
Reid. Heat then flame your booze and allow it to reduce in the pan, then allow to cool before adding to the mixture.

It will concentrate the flavor and reduce the alcohol content, having less effect on the freezing process.

Myers is the rum of choice in baking.

Also, allowing your custard mixture to sit in the fridge overnight will allow the air from the mixture caused by whisking to dissipate giving a creamier, more dense finished product.

Reidus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
New Orleans, LA
Morning all. TGIF!
Brew, I think a part of it is nostalgia; my first device after the ego's was a Monkeyboxx. Then came the mini-Monkeyboxx. I was using carto's on them as I was too cheap to shell out the money for a hh357 and the cheap-... attys I tried were just that. As far as the devices, the door on the Monkeyboxx swells in the humidity down here; I have to use a bread knife to pry it off and sand the edges every time. As far as the mini goes, I loved the way it felt in my hand. However, it's tiny, with everything that goes with that: the battery's tiny (16350) meaning I was changing batteries constantly, the squonk hole is tiny (making it a pain to sqounk)and the bottle's tiny, meaning I had to take a juice bottle with me if I was away from home for a long period of time. Then I went to the Buzzpro and discovered the joy of the Vivi Nova. I could regulate the power and get great vapor and flavor. I didn't give up on squonking completely though; I came across a VV Reo Grande/A7 combo in the classys. Loved the REO; hated the A7. Don't get me wrong, it had great flavor and put out great vapor, and it feels really good in my hand, but the A7 was a major PITA to re-build (those post-holes are TINY!!!). In fact, it turned me off of RBAs for the longest time; I went the carto tank route instead. It wasn't until last summer I decided to give RBAs another try and bought my beloved Magma clone (in all fairness, the real ones weren't available) and began my love/hate relationship with my genuine KFL. I love the fact that's so easy to re-build and the flavor and vapor (as well as it's a tank); I hated filling it; hate the airflow control was on the bottom; and especially hate that if it gets slightly too tight on the 510 connection, it locks up to the point that it takes pliers to get it off. In fact, later today I'm sending it to Nick along with the DS 40, whose 510 connection I broke trying unsuccessfully to get the damn thing off.

In short (yeah right) I'm thinking about giving squonking another try.I pulled all 3 of them out of storage this morning, gave them a good cleaning, charged up a 16340 (I already had a fully-charged 18650) and set up my Monkeyboxx's using a shorty 1.7 carto, and set up with 1.7 ohm shorty cartos (the hh357 I had for my REO is dead). Just as I remembered: love the feel and flavor, hate the vapor. As soon as my 18350s are charged, I'm going to give my REO another go (hopefully cleaning the connections fixed the firing issues). Before I give up on my Monkeyboxx's, I'm gonna order a 1.5 HH357 and see how that works on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wharf Rat

Reidus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
New Orleans, LA
Morning Sedge. Thanks for the advice. With regard to the ice cream base, the denseness is the reason I moved back to the B&J method; the French method (using 5 egg yolks and cooking until it's a custard) just doesn't have the mouth-feel I associate with ice cream. Don't get me wrong; its delicious and very rich. It's like eating a frozen pot-de-crème.
Back to the REO, I got it up and running. I really think the issue's with the button; when it's not firing, if I change the way I'm pressing it fires just fine. That said, I hate it with the carto. I'm going to get in touch with Rob and see about getting it serviced. If the chip's fine, I'll order a RM2 for it. I still think I'll pop for a mechanical. It would be nice to have a mod where I don't have to worry about a chip going bad.

Reactions: Brew1961

Brew1961

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2011
Noblesville, IN
Reidus,
Don't order a RM2 just yet as I have a number of them that need a good home and I'd also be happy to PIF you the HH357 I've had sitting in my mod box just waiting for someone who cares. I think we need to talk or message any way. I'll ping you tonight after I get back from work.

Morning Sedge. Thanks for the advice. With regard to the ice cream base, the denseness is the reason I moved back to the B&J method; the French method (using 5 egg yolks and cooking until it's a custard) just doesn't have the mouth-feel I associate with ice cream. Don't get me wrong; its delicious and very rich. It's like eating a frozen pot-de-crème.
Back to the REO, I got it up and running. I really think the issue's with the button; when it's not firing, if I change the way I'm pressing it fires just fine. That said, I hate it with the carto. I'm going to get in touch with Rob and see about getting it serviced. If the chip's fine, I'll order a RM2 for it. I still think I'll pop for a mechanical. It would be nice to have a mod where I don't have to worry about a chip going bad.

Reactions: Wharf Rat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread