Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
No night time or morning coughing any more. Other than blood pressure and a pace maker, she is in good health. Very mobile.
Only problem is a very short, short term memory.

Over SIX months!!! And after a lifetime of smoking. Doc, job well done!!! I hope she feels a sense of accomplishment.

And I agree with keeping her at 18mg. Why fix something that isn't broken? She's happy, you are happy. Let it be!!!

I wonder if she remembers smoking.

doctordun

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
TX
For the first two months she was constantly looking for her cigarettes and then I would hand her the Halo that she misplaced.
Now, the Halo Triton is the first thing she looks for. Ever since I got a necklace for it, she keeps it around her neck and doesn't lose it anymore.
Her long term memory is much better then the short term. We have a small home, 1500sf and she would get lost easily. Now it's her home and she gets around it great.

StarreLabelle

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2014
Texas, Near Randolph Air Force Base
Nice, Doc. You are way ahead of the curve.

I got much better mileage (juiceage?) from Triton coils than I get from these aspire bvc coils.

lol, and you were concerned about Mom and the manual button.

:)
I was thinking a Nautilus tank for my friend, until someone told me the coils were off. That's a real shame since they used to be great. I've never tried the Triton, but my son sure likes Belgian Cocoa eliquid.

StarreLabelle

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2014
Texas, Near Randolph Air Force Base
Kept the nic level at 18mg. See no reason to change. She's been smoking for 70 years.
I'm just happy she is vaping now.
It's only been two days, but it will be interesting if her consumption drops off as the coil ages.
That's so awesome! I was reading, and it just made me happy to hear about your mom's new vape journey. Do you have to help her fill her tanks? There's an older vaper that I help, too. It's just easier for me to do everything for him, and I don't mind.

doctordun

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
TX
Since my Triton tank sprung a leak, I decided on a new experiment on how long a coil can last without cleaning and only using Tribeca.
What I do each evening is drain the dregs, about .3 or .4 mls, from the tank by turning it upside down in a tissue filled shot glass. I let it drain for 10 to 20 minutes, while I busy myself elsewhere. Before doing this,I would quickly drain the dregs and immediately refill the tank. There was always a detectable browner portion of the juice until I shook the tank to mix. Now, after the extended draining time, the tank looks like the first time I filled it when I add the juice. No dark liquid residue.
I have not cleaned anything except the mouth piece and the outside of the tank.
Today was 4 weeks on a single coil and my observations with Mom shows the same production of vapor as always.
So far, so good.

Reactions: DaveOno

BLTinFLA

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2014
Palm Harbor, FL
Nice, Doc. You are way ahead of the curve.

I got much better mileage (juiceage?) from Triton coils than I get from these aspire bvc coils.

lol, and you were concerned about Mom and the manual button.

:)
I also seem to get a better flavor from the Triton tanks than the apire bvc's

Reactions: DaveOno

sadock

The secret to happiness is slowness
Mar 23, 2015
Flagstaff, AZ, USA
I agree that darker liquids are "gunkier." VooDoo, Cafe Mocha, Twisted Java, & Belgian Cocoa all gunk coils up quicker than most of the Menthols or Kringle's Curse do. My issue is that I seem to be experiencing diminishing returns. I keep a precise log of when I change out coils in each of my tanks. Here's how it looks at present:

Green #1: 04/12/15; 05/24/15;
Green #2: 06/20/15;
Smoke: 12/21/14; 06/18/15; 06/27/15 [resistance -> 2.7];
Yellow #1: 05/15/15; 06/20/15; 06/23/15; 06/27/15 [resistance -> 2.7];
Blue #1: 03/18/15; 06/24/15;
Clear #1: 04/12/15; 05/24/15; 06/20/15; 06/27/15 [resistance -> 2.7];
Purple #1: 12/28/14; 06/06/15;
Clear #2: 04/12/15; 05/24/15;
Purple #2: 12/21/14; 05/24/15; 06/27/15 [resistance -> 2.7];

As you can see, coils last anywhere from 4 days to 6 months for me. My concern is on Yellow #1 (Twisted Belgian Mocha) & Clear #1 (VooDoo). Both of those went from lasting a month down to only a few days. My Smoke (Tiki Malibu) tank went from lasting six months down to ~10 days. I'm currently trying increasing the coil resistance to see if that helps, but I suspect it may be something with the tank(s) itself. If it is, do I need to replace the tank(s) or clean them differently? From what I recall, Halo didn't provide any cleaning directions. I see several different suggestions in this thread for cleaning tanks. What are the pros & cons of each?

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
I don't think the tank makes any difference as to coil life.

What does matter is the juice vaped (darker juices and sweeter juices tend to gunk coils quicker), how often the "dregs" are cleaned out, regular cleaning, vaping technique (I like to let off the button and continue drawing; it cools the coil).

And the coils themselves are not identical. Variations on the wrap spacing, how tight the coil is to the wick all makes a difference. With the same tank, battery and juice, I've had coils last from 2 days to 5 months.

However, the coils I rewrapped/rebuilt myself have tended to last much longer than bought coils. Maybe my Kanthal wire is higher quality?

sadock

The secret to happiness is slowness
Mar 23, 2015
Flagstaff, AZ, USA
I don't think the tank makes any difference as to coil life.

What does matter is the juice vaped (darker juices and sweeter juices tend to gunk coils quicker), how often the "dregs" are cleaned out, regular cleaning, vaping technique (I like to let off the button and continue drawing; it cools the coil).

Yes, I totally mis-spoke there. I meant gunk removal/cleaning. On a different thread discussing Halo's customer service (or lack thereof), it was pointed out that Halo does not provide official cleaning instructions in their starter kit manuals. This strikes me as particularly odd, especially since they claim that washing them in water breaks them. There was lots of controversy about that over there as well. Lots of different voices/opinions on what the "best" way to clean a tank was.

I do think gunk buildup is my issue. I had a coil I replaced earlier TODAY go bad on me. I took it apart and discovered that the wick inside the coil was solid black. I'm assuming this means that the gunk is traveling up the wick and obstructing the juice flow. That seems like the simplest explanation from available evidence. That was Yellow tank #1. I've since had similar issues with Clear #1 & my Smoke tank. Those had both been replaced today as well, but were not quite as filthy as Yellow #1 had gotten. I've since cleaned out the gunk buildup in all three tanks, wiped off the gunk of the (2) coils I was able to salvage, and am hoping for the best. I'm fairly optimistic.

A few notes for those who choose to use Halo's recommended (via customer service) cleaning method:
  1. You have to rip most of the cotton off the end of a Q-tip before it will reach all the way to the bottom of a Triton Tank
  2. You will also have to bend it at a 30-45 degree angle so you don't damage your coil post
  3. Do NOT try to swipe out gunk while you have a coil installed. It can't be done w/o damaging your tank
  4. Use both sides of a Q-tip for each tank you clean. This is only my opinion, but it seemed to work well. My tanks are now shiny like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread