Trusted AW IMR vendors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
ElectronicStix sells them now them for $5.00 each all sizes.
POWER CELLS – ElectronicStix.Com
Yeah but can ENS be trusted anymore, with their new ownership? I've already heard lots of nightmarish stuff happening since the new owners moved in.

Also, it looks like they're selling the first-gen AW's...not a bad battery (if authentic), but they're at least a year old by now.

I wonder why they're selling them so cheap...

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
First off, been a while hope everybody is doing good!

I seen a list of trusted vendors that sell authentic AW IMR batteries on ECF long time ago. Anybody have that info handy so I dont have to spend the better part of the next week looking for it? Thanks peeps!
Provape is a highly reputable vendor (and supporter) of AW batteries.

Fun fact: AW is not a brand that makes their own batteries. The AW stands for Andy Wan, who is a trusted wizard. He tests the batteries to make sure they're safe to use, and re-wraps them with his label as a seal of approval.
I wish there was more of this third-party verification in batteries. The horror stories of people buying sub-par re-wrapped batteries (clones) are just too scary!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Fun fact: AW is not a brand that makes their own batteries. The AW stands for Andy Wan, who is a trusted wizard. He tests the batteries to make sure they're safe to use, and re-wraps them with his label as a seal of approval.
I've read the above, and perhaps that was true 3 - 4 years ago when all AW sold was protected ICR batteries. I have a strong hunch that its no longer true.

The old protected ICR batteries had "Assembled in China (Cell and IC made in Japan". That makes sense that these were "rewraps".

Today's AW batteries only say, "Made in China". My guess is AW made a small enough fortune to make his own battery factory in China. What do I base this on?
  • I make this assumption because AW, to the best of my memory, was the very first company to offer a high drain IMR battery on the market, before Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, or LG.
  • Japanese manufacturers do not make IMR batteries in 14500, 18350, or 18490 sizes. AW does, so who is actually manufacturing these cells if not AW?
  • The new AW 18650 3000mAh 20A battery is the only one which says, "Made in Korea". This is probably a rewrapped LG HG2 3000mAh 20A battery, since LG is in Korea.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I've read the above, and perhaps that was true 3 - 4 years ago when all AW sold was protected ICR batteries. I have a strong hunch that its no longer true.

The old protected ICR batteries had "Assembled in China (Cell and IC made in Japan". That makes sense that these were "rewraps".

Today's AW batteries only say, "Made in China". My guess is AW made a small enough fortune to make his own battery factory in China. What do I base this on?
  • I make this assumption because AW, to the best of my memory, was the very first company to offer a high drain IMR battery on the market, before Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, or LG.
  • Japanese manufacturers do not make IMR batteries in 14500, 18350, or 18490 sizes. AW does, so who is actually manufacturing these cells if not AW?
  • The new AW 18650 3000mAh 20A battery is the only one which says, "Made in Korea". This is probably a rewrapped LG HG2 3000mAh 20A battery, since LG is in Korea.
BAAAAAAD!!!!!
Wow! A pleasure to see your bones stalking around these parts!

You're MY authority on batteries, and I thank you for that.

I guess I've been operating on outdated info...cuz my fun fact was based on what I read in one of your posts a looooong time ago!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't believe Mr. Wan ever admitted that he was re-wrapping batteries, its not good for business. If he was selling re-wraps, I seriously doubt that he was testing EVERY battery that he sold, either.

Only a couple of battery "manufacturers" openly admit they are re-wrapping batteries. Orbtronics admits that their house brand are re-wrapped Panasonics. Xtar admits that their house brand are re-wrapped Sony cells.

Fact is, if you aren't using a battery made by LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, or Aspire (and maybe AW) ... chances are excellent you are using a re-wrap.

A Beginner's Guide to Lithium Batteries

18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users

Battery companies are extremely competitive, secretive, and often times deceiving. It's hard to know what to believe.

Last edited:

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I don't believe Mr. Wan ever admitted that he was re-wrapping batteries, its not good for business. If he was selling re-wraps, I seriously doubt that he was testing EVERY battery that he sold, either.

Only a couple of battery "manufacturers" openly admit they are re-wrapping batteries. Orbtronics admits that their house brand are re-wrapped Panasonics. Xtar admits that their house brand are re-wrapped Sony cells.

Fact is, if you aren't using a battery made by LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, or Aspire (and maybe AW) ... chances are excellent you are using a re-wrap.

A Beginner's Guide to Lithium Batteries

18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users

Battery companies are extremely competitive, secretive, and often times deceiving. It's hard to know what to believe.
What about bad batteries that are re-wrapped to look like the brands you listed?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What about bad batteries that are re-wrapped to look like the brands you listed?
What about them? I say avoid buying them in the first place. This is why we veterans recommend purchasing your batteries only from trusted and reputable battery vendors like RTD Vapor, IMR Batteries, Orbtronics, and Illumn. Never buy from Amazon or Ebay, because you don't know where the vendor is getting his batteries from. Most of the counterfeit batteries on the market are sold by Alibaba (Chinese wholesaler), Ebay, or Amazon.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
What about them? I say avoid buying them in the first place. This is why we veterans recommend purchasing your batteries only from trusted and reputable battery vendors like RTD Vapor, IMR Batteries, Orbtronics, and Illumn. Never buy from Amazon or Ebay, because you don't know where the vendor is getting his batteries from. Most of the counterfeit batteries on the market are sold by Alibaba (Chinese wholesaler), Ebay, or Amazon.
I think that's the best advice for the OP.

The world is full of people trying to make a buck, and not caring who they screw over.

Many people won't think twice about re-wrapping a poor quality battery to look like a "good" battery, just to make a sale.

I'm very thankful for your advice, your top shelf knowledge of batteries, and your willingness to share with those who need it!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2012
BELLE VERNON PA.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I am still using my first-gen AW's bought in the spring of 2013 :) They are now over 3 yrs old.

These at Electronicstix could more appropriately be called second -gen based solely on the hologram label which first appeared in Dec. 2013.
AW IMR16340 / IMR14500 / IMR18350 / IMR18490 / IMR18650
Oh yeah huh?
Doy. I totally forgot about the introduction of the holo-sticker! So the batteries with the half black band at the bottom are the "third gen"...

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Yeah but can ENS be trusted anymore, with their new ownership? I've already heard lots of nightmarish stuff happening since the new owners moved in.

Also, it looks like they're selling the first-gen AW's...not a bad battery (if authentic), but they're at least a year old by now.

I wonder why they're selling them so cheap...

I have purchased quite a few of these and have been using them in my 2.5's with no issue. Also I have not experienced any problems on anything that I have ordered or shipping with ENS since the new ownership, I have placed quite a few orders over the last few months and my experience has been very good with them.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Hey seeing as we've got you here, Señor Baditude...

Are these trustworthy batteries?
889d5768d2695edaeb230fa308a058ec.jpg

I just got them (friend is a shop owner) to use in my Wizard's Apprentice Evolved II (WAEII)...it's a DNA30 watt device.

I normally charge my 18350's/18490's at the 0.25A setting on my VP2, but I figured for these guys, the 0.50A would be ok.
I know heat is the major enemy of batteries.

Anywho...any knowledge on this brand?

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Hey seeing as we've got you here, Señor Baditude...

Are these trustworthy batteries?
889d5768d2695edaeb230fa308a058ec.jpg

I just got them (friend is a shop owner) to use in my Wizard's Apprentice Evolved II (WAEII)...it's a DNA30 watt device.

I normally charge my 18350's/18490's at the 0.25A setting on my VP2, but I figured for these guys, the 0.50A would be ok.
I know heat is the major enemy of batteries.

Anywho...any knowledge on this brand?
<a href="Imren Green 40A 3200mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...just 17A, the purple Imren 3000mAh rewrapped!">Imren Green 40A 3200mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...just 17A, the purple Imren 3000mAh rewrapped!</a>

I saw this and just had to look, sorry about the messy post, I'm not used to using an iPad...

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Personally, I wouldn't go there. The test results I can find for Imren are pretty consistent in grossly overstating their capacities. This similar "40A 3000 mAh" battery is at best a 15 to 20A battery in the real world.

Test of Imren IMR18650 3000mAh (Purple)

Pick more Imren tests here:

Battery test-review 18650 comparator

Can't find a test result for your specific battery. I won't use a battery I cannot research. :2c:

ETA: Enaud beat me to it (Hi Enaud!) but there you have it. At least Imren is consistent - but not in a good way. :nah:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread