Trying 24HR Simple Method NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdT586

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Canada
I finally got around to ordering some Cuban cigars to make some NET.
I don't believe companies like Naturally Extracted tobacco use alcohol to extract their tobacco. It is simply ludicrous, time consuming and expensive to be using that method as alcohol will evaporate aka "Angel's Share" along with precious ingredients in the tobacco that we want more of.

Here is my planned procedure:
1. Cut 1" off a 6" 48 ring gauge Cuban cigar - I will smoke the rest as a Corona at 5" ;)
2. Cut/shred up tobacco with scissor or herb grinder
3. Put content into a French coffee press (make sure there are no metal parts)
4. Add 60ml of 50/50 base and stir
5. Heat coffee press in microwave for 30 seconds at high heat
6. Stir until tobacco is saturated with the 50/50 base
7. Heat coffee press again in microwave for 30 seconds at high heat
8. Let it steep for 3 hours
9. Stir and heat coffee press again in microwave for 30 seconds at high heat
10. Do this every 3 hours for the next 24 hours
11. Heat coffee press again in microwave for 30 seconds at high heat one more time so it become less viscous
12. Press down on coffee press to filter the tobacco shreds, do this 2-3 times.
13. Fill into your favorite dispensing bottle and use !

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8vision

EdT586

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Canada
Follow up after 24 hours !

Okay, the process went very well. The liquid turned out to be very dark amber almost like an extract.
I filtered it by pressing down with the mesh filter from the coffee press, I then punched out 1/2" circles from a paper coffee filter to place into the 10ml syringe to further filter it more as it was being bottled in to 10ml bottles, there was very little sediment on the paper filter which means the mesh filter did a good job. I was able to get around 40ml out the 60ml I started with.

After test vaping it, it was not as I expected since it did not taste like a Cuban, but more a leafy tobacco type of e-juice that is 99% identical to Inawera's Virginia Tobacco Absolute concentrate, but a little more mellow with a sweet aftertaste and a slight wiff of that Cuban tang in the vapor.

This experiment proved two things, that Inawera uses real tobacco in their concentrates and that my process produce the same flavor profile and colored e-liquid.

The only other process I can think of for NET is using a pressure cooker which is what I think commercial outfits like Naturally Extracted Tobacco uses for large batches.

kbriggs

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
www.briggsoft.com
Ive found that temps over 160F alter the flavor characteristics in the wrong direction....
things become bitter and grassy.

I think that has ruined some of my PGA/Crock Pot batches. I sometimes get a chemical taste like if you mixed Windex in it or something. I've since bought an inline dimmer switch to keep the temp under 160. I've only run a few batches since then but so far, so good.

Reactions: Str8vision

EdT586

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Canada
Ive found that temps over 160F alter the flavor characteristics in the wrong direction....
things become bitter and grassy.

I don't think heating 60ml for 30 seconds is enough to make it boil, it just gets warm to touch.
I have been enjoying this NET for the past two days now, it gets better as it ages I can definitely get a wiff of that Cuban tang now and it even lingers in the air for awhile which I like. This is the closest I have ever been able to get that in an e-liquid bought or otherwise. Next time I will try it with 40ml to make 20ml for a more stronger juice.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I use a crock pot set to low 140 - 145F and let my American Virginia leaf simmer in PG for 24 hours. I filter it hot, twice through a french press using 1 micron filter paper. The flavor is good right after this process but for the flavors to really come alive I let it sit for about a month then give it a final filtering. Works great and produces a dark amber net which gives a smooth and sweet rich tobacco taste. I use it at 25% in my mix. I find this method quick and easy but sometimes I also use the hot alcohol process when I'm not in such a hurry and want a super concentrated net.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread