trying to quit vaping, with Swedish snus

Status
Not open for further replies.

time2quit

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
upstate new york
Hello everyone. A couple of years ago I quit analogues with vaping and occasional snus. I eventually relapsed and went back to analogs.

A couple of months ago I began vaping again. Next week I will be two months analog free. I've since come to the conclusion I don't want anything else in my lungs... except oxygen!

The local convenience stores near my house, are selling general for 99 cents. So I picked up 40 cans. I enjoy the White and the original. I feel the nicotine plenty so I know I don't need a stronger snus. But man, I'm having a hard time putting down my electronic cigarette!

I know swedish snus is fairly safe. Although nothing has been proven, I personally believe it is probably safer than vaping. For this reason I want to give up the electronic cigarette and only, snus for the time being.

I am just wondering if anybody else was faced with this situation, and if they were able to achieve the goal of no longer vaping?

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much!!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Hi Time, you'll more response from the "What's under" thread. Most of us hang in there for the most part. I just stumbled on your post by accident. First off, are they full cans or 12 portion samples? That's a great price and sounds like a closeout, hopefully not. If it's full cans it's quite a deal.

Now on to your question. When I got started I was the 2-3 PAD smoker that dropped to about 6 cigs a day with smoking. That was nearly 4 years ago. I was good to go for 6 months but couldn't quit those half dozen smokes and found myself smoking a little more. That's when I found snus. I found I was vaping considerably less right from the first portion and now over 3 years since my last drag on a cigarette, I only vape maybe a ml or 2 a week, almost exclusively WTA. For me the hardest part of quitting was the behavior, having something in my hand. There was the nic/WTA thing, but just the hand to mouth took some time. It sounds like you may have that issue, but like I said, everyone's different. I could easily live without vaping, I just don't see any need to. I can go days without even thinking about it, then take a few puffs. If the govt. makes it too difficult, I'll just stop. I certainly am not going back to the inefficient and time consuming technology I started out with.

There's plenty of information on snus safety, certainly 98-99% safer than cigarettes and, for the most part, I'd guess niquid is somewhere in that range. Just the difference in quantity used should make a difference unless you are one of the vapers that can't put it down for two seconds. I use 4-5 portions a day and am plenty content, but that's me. You really need to find your own levels. Good luck.

time2quit

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
upstate new york
rothenbj:9204250 said:
Hi Time, you'll more response from the "What's under" thread. Most of us hang in there for the most part. I just stumbled on your post by accident. First off, are they full cans or 12 portion samples? That's a great price and sounds like a closeout, hopefully not. If it's full cans it's quite a deal.

Now on to your question. When I got started I was the 2-3 PAD smoker that dropped to about 6 cigs a day with smoking. That was nearly 4 years ago. I was good to go for 6 months but couldn't quit those half dozen smokes and found myself smoking a little more. That's when I found snus. I found I was vaping considerably less right from the first portion and now over 3 years since my last drag on a cigarette, I only vape maybe a ml or 2 a week, almost exclusively WTA. For me the hardest part of quitting was the behavior, having something in my hand. There was the nic/WTA thing, but just the hand to mouth took some time. It sounds like you may have that issue, but like I said, everyone's different. I could easily live without vaping, I just don't see any need to. I can go days without even thinking about it, then take a few puffs. If the govt. makes it too difficult, I'll just stop. I certainly am not going back to the inefficient and time consuming technology I started out with.

There's plenty of information on snus safety, certainly 98-99% safer than cigarettes and, for the most part, I'd guess niquid is somewhere in that range. Just the difference in quantity used should make a difference unless you are one of the vapers that can't put it down for two seconds. I use 4-5 portions a day and am plenty content, but that's me. You really need to find your own levels. Good luck.
Thanks for the response Roth! First, yes the are the full cans. Not the sample packs. I believe 24 to a can. It is a hell of a deal, considering I was paying roughly $4 a can from Northerner a couple of years ago. I know its a promotion from "General" so i'm stocking up while its available at this price!

Im guessing the behavioral aspect is the part im struggling with the most. As well as the "almost" instant rush from my PV. I was vaping about 5ml a day, but over the last couple of days (since reconnecting with snus) ive been vaping about 3ml a day. I smoked a PAD for about 22 years, and it seems so unnatural not inhaling something into my lungs. Oh well...hopefully my continued use of snus, will decrease my desire to vape, just as vaping decreased my desire for analogs.

Thanks for the tip on where you guys hang out. I will be joining you soon!
Cheers!

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Like roth said, you just need to give it a little time to find your happy spot. I'm a bit of a heavy user and go thru 7-8 portions a day and vape probably around 1-2ml a day. I know for sure that it's the hand to mouth action and also the throat hit that I crave. Several people that have been in the smokeless forum have quit using ecigs over time and only use snus. Perhaps stubby will stop in on this thread. He is one that put down the pv.

time2quit

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 13, 2013
    upstate new york
    hittman:9208081 said:
    Like roth said, you just need to give it a little time to find your happy spot. I'm a bit of a heavy user and go thru 7-8 portions a day and vape probably around 1-2ml a day. I know for sure that it's the hand to mouth action and also the throat hit that I crave. Several people that have been in the smokeless forum have quit using ecigs over time and only use snus. Perhaps stubby will stop in on this thread. He is one that put down the pv.
    Thanks for dropping in Hit! I appreciate it.

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    Not much to add to this. Everyone is different so there are no hard and fast rules.

It was pretty easy for me to quit vaping, but then vaping in general was a spectacular failure for me. No doubt it had something to do with the primitive equipment back in 2009, but the main reason is that snus worked so well I didn't feel the need for much else. Adding a bit of nasal snuff really put me over the top. I have gone with just snus for long periods of time but adding the snuff made the whole thing more enjoyable. Snus is the main stay and keeps me on the straight. Without it I would be back to smoking in short order, but there isn't much of a hobby side to it. After the initial thrill of actually quitting smoking, which was somewhat of a minor miracle for me, after a few years it's kinda.... same old same old. Snuff gives me enough variation, plus it an interesting quick hit compared to other forms of smokeless, including vaping, to keep things interesting.

I did get back into vaping when WTA came out, but I've got about 10 mil of none WTA left and when it's gone I have no plans on getting more. I do seem to get winded faster then when I wasn't vaping. Perhaps it's something I'm reacting to that could be fixed, but at this point I have no interest in putting in the effort to figure it out. I will be glad when the little I have left is gone.

My advice would be to just put it down for a bit and see what happens. I hear a lot of speculation about how the oral fixation thing is a big part of the addiction, but I have some real doubts about that. Part of the issue may be that for nearly all vapors the only way they have ever gotten the hit is buy smoking or the closely related oral fixation vaping. The association is very strong. When I started using snus (and shortly after quit smoking and shortly after that quit vaping) I thought of it as a whole different approach. It was very liberating not to be tied to carrying around a man-purse full of vaping stuff. It might help if you simply don't make it so available.

My problem is that when I do have the e-cig out I just can't stop. Its like eating a never empty bag of popcorn (or in my case M&M's), but when it's not around I just forget about it.

time2quit

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 13, 2013
    upstate new york
    Stubby:9217414 said:
    Not much to add to this. Everyone is different so there are no hard and fast rules.

It was pretty easy for me to quit vaping, but then vaping in general was a spectacular failure for me. No doubt it had something to do with the primitive equipment back in 2009, but the main reason is that snus worked so well I didn't feel the need for much else. Adding a bit of nasal snuff really put me over the top. I have gone with just snus for long periods of time but adding the snuff made the whole thing more enjoyable. Snus is the main stay and keeps me on the straight. Without it I would be back to smoking in short order, but there isn't much of a hobby side to it. After the initial thrill of actually quitting smoking, which was somewhat of a minor miracle for me, after a few years it's kinda.... same old same old. Snuff gives me enough variation, plus it an interesting quick hit compared to other forms of smokeless, including vaping, to keep things interesting.

I did get back into vaping when WTA came out, but I've got about 10 mil of none WTA left and when it's gone I have no plans on getting more. I do seem to get winded faster then when I wasn't vaping. Perhaps it's something I'm reacting to that could be fixed, but at this point I have no interest in putting in the effort to figure it out. I will be glad when the little I have left is gone.

My advice would be to just put it down for a bit and see what happens. I hear a lot of speculation about how the oral fixation thing is a big part of the addiction, but I have some real doubts about that. Part of the issue may be that for nearly all vapors the only way they have ever gotten the hit is buy smoking or the closely related oral fixation vaping. The association is very strong. When I started using snus (and shortly after quit smoking and shortly after that quit vaping) I thought of it as a whole different approach. It was very liberating not to be tied to carrying around a man-purse full of vaping stuff. It might help if you simply don't make it so available.

My problem is that when I do have the e-cig out I just can't stop. Its like eating a never empty bag of popcorn (or in my case M&M's), but when it's not around I just forget about it.
    Thanks for stopping by Stubby! I hear you..lback in 09, is when I stopped vaping for the same reasons as you. It was just to much "hit and miss" and eventually became a royal pain in the ....

The advice you gave me "put it down, and see what happens" is ultimately what needs to be done. Im moving in the right direction by selling my itaste svd in the classifieds. Sure, ill hang on to my c-twist (for the time being) but eventually plan on listing that as well. Ill be 40 on Wednesday. I told kyself I will be a non smoker, and in the best shape of my life, when my birthday rolls around. I believe ive accomplished bothe goals. However, vaping reminds me too much of smoking, and I dont want anything else in my lungs! I feel if I can quit vaping, ultimately retiring snus, wont be half the battle as analogs and vaping.

Thanks again for your reply. See you in "whats under your lip!"

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Hey Time,

I figured I chime in as well because I quit smoking using only snus. I was a major fan of vaping about a year ago but I found I could never achieve complete satisfaction with it. I bought just about every type of PV on the market and went through gallons of juice including WTA without success. So back to smoking I went. About two months ago I went to the doctor with some chest issues and found out I was borderline asthmatic. So I decided to give quitting completely a try. The doc gave me a script for some Welbutrin to ease the withdraw symptoms and nicotine gum to quell the cravings. I hated the nicotine gum so I needed an alternative. I remembered reading about snus from my time on this forum and found a local dealer for some General. Bought a few tins and haven't looked back yet. Tomorrow will be seven weeks without a smoke and I could care less. Snus gives me that calm nicotine hit my body craves and the Welbutrin took care of the withdraw from the other chemicals in tobacco smoke that I was addicted to. I've taken to ordering a variety of brands to experiment but I could live with General if nothing else is available. I usually go through about four portions a day, more if I drink. It gives a good , fairly quick nicotine hit and the flavor lasts up to two hours. Got my wind back after 30 years of PAD smoking. Back to exercising and enjoying the actual taste of food. After spending a ton of money on vaping without getting what I needed, I'm quite happy with snus only. I sold all my equipment and put the proceeds towards a new bike and new snus. :)

time2quit

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 13, 2013
    upstate new york
    The Rebel:9261655 said:
    Hey Time,

I figured I chime in as well because I quit smoking using only snus. I was a major fan of vaping about a year ago but I found I could never achieve complete satisfaction with it. I bought just about every type of PV on the market and went through gallons of juice including WTA without success. So back to smoking I went. About two months ago I went to the doctor with some chest issues and found out I was borderline asthmatic. So I decided to give quitting completely a try. The doc gave me a script for some Welbutrin to ease the withdraw symptoms and nicotine gum to quell the cravings. I hated the nicotine gum so I needed an alternative. I remembered reading about snus from my time on this forum and found a local dealer for some General. Bought a few tins and haven't looked back yet. Tomorrow will be seven weeks without a smoke and I could care less. Snus gives me that calm nicotine hit my body craves and the Welbutrin took care of the withdraw from the other chemicals in tobacco smoke that I was addicted to. I've taken to ordering a variety of brands to experiment but I could live with General if nothing else is available. I usually go through about four portions a day, more if I drink. It gives a good , fairly quick nicotine hit and the flavor lasts up to two hours. Got my wind back after 30 years of PAD smoking. Back to exercising and enjoying the actual taste of food. After spending a ton of money on vaping without getting what I needed, I'm quite happy with snus only. I sold all my equipment and put the proceeds towards a new bike and new snus. :)
    Thanks for your story Rebel! It really sounds vaguely familiar to mine. About 3 years ago I quit smoking with an e cig, and a little Swedish snus added into the equation. After a year of being analog free, I relapsed.
    Like you, I've owned many many mods in the past. Vaping alone, kept me off of analogues pretty well. The problem I have with it, is I couldn't put down my mod!

Wednesday will be 8 weeks analog free. I'm vaping much less now using snus. However I want to be completely done with vaping! I wheeze terribly when I work out after vaping. I'm just to the point I don't want to inhale anything except air!

I told myself months ago by my 40th birthday I won't be smoking, and I will be in the best shape of my life. My birthday is in two days and I feel I've accomplished my goal. But now I want to take it one step further, and be done vaping as well. I've got two days to do it... I think I can

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yup, snus for me was the answer fit the most part. Once I tried it, smoking became unimportant. However, I disagree with Stubby on the behavioral aspects of smoking. That hand to mouth was tough. Breaking it down with six months of vaping helped, but I still enjoy having a drink and a vape.

time2quit

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 13, 2013
    upstate new york
    rothenbj:9291808 said:
    Yup, snus for me was the answer fit the most part. Once I tried it, smoking became unimportant. However, I disagree with Stubby on the behavioral aspects of smoking. That hand to mouth was tough. Breaking it down with six months of vaping helped, but I still enjoy having a drink and a vape.
    yes Roth, that is where I find it hardest to avoid vaping. While having a drink. Im grateful that its vaping, and not cigarettes...dont get me wrong. Id rather it be nothing (except snus) but for the time being, I guess its a matter of "progression" not "perfection"

DevilFishPhil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2011
    Montreal, QC
    I quit vaping for the exact same reason you mentioned; I didn't want to put anything in my lungs anymore and despite the studies proving that exhaled vapor is not harmful I didn't want to take that risk with my new baby boy so I would only vape outside or in another room.

Just as I quit smoking/started vaping without any real intention of doing so I ended up quitting vaping/started snusing without putting any pressure on myself it just happened naturally.

After about a week of snusing/vaping simultaneously I began to realize how much more efficient snus is as a nicotine delivery system, how much less nicotine I was taking (4-5 pouches per day vs. non-stop e-cig use), how it's completely maintenance free (no need to mix juice, rebuild atomizer, charge batteries...), and of course the fact that it's so much more discreet - I've given presentations at work with a mini snus in my upper lip without anyone batting an eyelid.

I have to admit that the day I finally decided I was no longer going to vape I had a mini panic attack - I'd been vaping for almost 2 years now and absolutely loved it, but I went through my first vape-free day without the slightest craving. As for drinks/coffee/post-meal, popped a snus and I was more than satisfied :)

The best advice I can offer is to keep reminding yourself why you want to quit vaping, and also remind yourself why snus is a much better alternative for you. It's been almost 4 months for me now and in that time I relapsed once when I found an old eGo in my drawer at work, took a puff and it did absolutely nothing for me so I took a Thunder Frosted Mini snus instead = instant happiness boost :D

Good luck with your transition!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Hi Devilfish, another new face hits the other side of the tracks. Four months is a great run. I still vape, but I love snus and it's so easy. The stigma of smokeless still haunts most Americans but a little research and it's easy to see how the propaganda machine was lying to us for decades.

xjonquilx

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    FL
    Snus is NOT safer than vaping. Snus still contains some carcinogens, though not as many as cigarettes... e-juice however contains NO carcinogens. Still, e-juice and snus are pretty close to each other in safety regards. Also bear in mind that their effects are different as well due to the way they're ingested. Snus is more likely to affect your mouth and stomach, while vaping is more likely to affect your lungs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread