Status
Not open for further replies.

time2quit

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
upstate new york
xjonquilx:9685279 said:
Snus is NOT safer than vaping. Snus still contains some carcinogens, though not as many as cigarettes... e-juice however contains NO carcinogens. Still, e-juice and snus are pretty close to each other in safety regards. Also bear in mind that their effects are different as well due to the way they're ingested. Snus is more likely to affect your mouth and stomach, while vaping is more likely to affect your lungs.
Hi X. Do you have any links or proof to this claim? If so, please add them. I would love to read them. Snus has been around, and studied for hundreds of years. The risk of snus is well known, and proven as well. It is 95-99 percent safer then smoking cigarettes.

I believe vaping is safer then cigarettes. To my knowledge vaping has only been around for...maybe 10 years? That being said, obviously no long term effects of vaping could even be possible at this point. We are all entitled to our oppinion. But until vaping has been studied for many many years, I dont see how "snus is not safer then vaping" could be nothing more then an oppinion at this point.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    T2Q is right. Snus has been studied for a long time. There is a reason that Sweden has the lowest cancer rate in the world. That being said, I don't know that I believe that one is safer than the other. I vape and use snus. The name of the game for me is harm reduction and being able to function properly without cigarettes. Combustion of tobacco is the thing to stay away from in my opinion. I have read some of the studies on ecigs and am hopeful but only long term studies will tell the whole story.

Faylool

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 7, 2012
    Sweet Home, Oregon USA
    Well I snus, snuff and vape and havent got any intention of changing that but the one i would let go if i needed to simplify would be vape. It takes up far to much of my time and attention and costs more but at this point im loving that because im retired and have time and love collecting fun vape toys Pretty and lovely nice drip tipsand great working premade atties and RBAs and just too nice pyrex glass tanks.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Gee X, you got a lot of reaction. I won't duplicate the thoughts. What I shall say (and I snus and vape) is that, at this point in time, I'd rely on the level of science behind snus. That being said, I'd imagine that if the flavors are found to be safe to inhale, vaping could be found to be safer. Some people are constantly vaping where after smoking for 45 years, I use 4-5 portions of snus and inhale maybe 3ml of niquid a week. I know that's far less dangerous than the 2-3 PAD habit I came from.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    I'm not going to repeat what has been stated either, but I will say that without snus I'd still be smoking. After reading what was available on snus (volumes of testing) compared to vaping (barely anything concrete) I'll take a slightly elevated risk of pancreatic cancer with the snus and feel satisfied. Who knows what happens to ejuice once it is vaporized? What type of chemical reactions are occurring and the effect it has on the body? Now that ejuice is available with WTA, how do those alkaloids react to the heat created while vaping? Too many questions right now with vaping that science needs to research. May take years to get a definite answer. Snus has been studied extensively and the results are a internet search away and while it still carries a risk, it is much better than smoking. I can live with that and according to all the studies I'll live longer...

McDougal

ECF Veteran
    Nov 14, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Hi y'all. 2 years ago I was a PAD smoker, and quit entirely with vaping. What I've been doing recently is having a pipe smoke a few times a day, yet I don't inhale the smoke (for the most part - some is inevitable). Still, this is too close for comfort for me, because I find I'm enjoying it way too much, if you know what I mean. But, it also has me rethinking vaping as well, and the whole hand-to-mouth action.

So, I read up on snus last evening, and bought some General white portion wintergreen at a local smoke shop. I thoroughly enjoyed it upon first use.

So now, I think it's time to break the hand-to-mouth motion. I am grateful for finding vaping, because I'd still be smoking if I didn't. But, I don't like the idea of breathing stuff anymore. Plus, I don't like relying on electronic gear anymore. I guess I also want the reliability of simplicity.

Another thing - snus has a track record. Vaping doesn't really. Probably far safer than cigarettes. Swedish snus? Definitely safer.

So, I'm glad this board is here. I believe in harm reduction, and both vaping and snus fit the bill. I'm going the snus route for now to break the physical habit of smoking/vaping/pipe smoking.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Welcome aboard McD, the big thing is staying away from inhaling as much smoke as possible. I came from a 2-3 PAD, 43 year habit that is a lot more of a journey than you've experienced. You're right, the hand to mouth becomes a major roadblock in getting away from cigarettes. It may have as much or more to do with getting off cigarettes as nicotine.

For me, snus was the answer. It took care, physiologically, with whatever was hanging me up about inhaling tobacco smoke. I still like vaping, but now I'm a social vaper. I had to run some errands today and decided to stop for a brew on my way home. I pulled out my PV and had a few puffs while I was there. Everyone else was smoking and I got questioned three times about my e cig. I didn't even take my PV out of my cycle jacket when I got home. Who knows when I'll use it again.

That's a freedom I didn't have when I was smoking, 3 1/2 years ago.

Stop in at "What's under your lip" thread, most of us hang out there.

McDougal

ECF Veteran
    Nov 14, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Welcome aboard McD, the big thing is staying away from inhaling as much smoke as possible. I came from a 2-3 PAD, 43 year habit that is a lot more of a journey than you've experienced. You're right, the hand to mouth becomes a major roadblock in getting away from cigarettes. It may have as much or more to do with getting off cigarettes as nicotine.

For me, snus was the answer. It took care, physiologically, with whatever was hanging me up about inhaling tobacco smoke. I still like vaping, but now I'm a social vaper. I had to run some errands today and decided to stop for a brew on my way home. I pulled out my PV and had a few puffs while I was there. Everyone else was smoking and I got questioned three times about my e cig. I didn't even take my PV out of my cycle jacket when I got home. Who knows when I'll use it again.

That's a freedom I didn't have when I was smoking, 3 1/2 years ago.

Stop in at "What's under your lip" thread, most of us hang out there.

Thanks so much, rothenbj. What you've accomplished is astounding. It's great reading your story. I'll check out that thread.

pwillco

Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    I quit smoking with vaping 6 weeks ago, but found out about snus 3 weeks ago (it feels longer!), and have ended up hardly using my e-cig at all. The snus is so much less hassle, in my opinion. I was surprised I switched over so quickly, I didn't plan on not using the e-cig after I started using the snus, it just kind of happened. I am glad I can get the General brand locally, so I didn't have to order 30+ cans from Sweden to justify the shipping cost, but if I am still using the stuff in a few months, and plan to continue using it, I may order a bunch. I haven't given up on the vaporizer, but I just don;t feel like dealing with it at the moment! I only use it sporadically now.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Welcome aboard pwillco. You found out quickly what mostr of us took some time to find out. Of course these days, there is more talk about the various smokeless products than there was 4 years ago. Most everyone hangs in the "What's under you lip" thread. I just happened to be passing by. I think we have a lot more lurkers than posters, but everyone's welcome.

It is nice to be able to get fresh cans locally these days. I'll only order if there's a special deal and they have something I really want, but I'm still pretty stockpiled from pre-PACT.

pwillco

Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    Thanks rothenbj, i have not been lurking much here the past few days! I started posting on here once I figured out how to get my prerequisite 5 posts in the New Member Forum. Also I noticed the snuson forum site has been down, and the snuscentral forum, too. I found a snus and smokeless tobacco forum on reddit the past few days, and spending too much time on there.

I actually fired up my vaporiser last night, after having not used it in at least a week and a half. It did not taste as bad as a cigarette, but it reminded me of trying to smoke again after having abstained for a long time! Inhaling felt very uncomfortable at first, but puffing, and not going the lungs worked best. The taste was ok, but I'm not sure if e-juice gets "stale" if it is in the tank for too long, the taste might have been off, some tobacco flavored juice. I may have to clean out my evod tanks, and just fill one or two with juice, if I am only going to use it sparingly. I have five partially filled tanks.

I may put an order in for snus at some point in the next couple months, I am still working through the General snus, which I have plenty with. Mostly I want to figure out what kinds I really want to order. I'm figuring out whether I really like white portion more than original or vice versa. Or how much loose snus I should get, or if I really need to try the strong snus. Two weeks ago, I filled up a shopping cart with a lot of loose snus, but now I'm thinking I'm more interested in mostly portions. Not sure if I want to try too many funky flavors, like cranberry or not, and just stick with the more traditional tobacco flavor. So, really I'm just seeing what my snus habit looks like, so I don't order too much stuff I really don't want to use two months from now. I'm not using so much now that I would go thru an order very quickly. I might only order under 30 cans, just based on my freezer space.

I also have been trying some of the other American smokeless tobaccos, like chew and dip, which I surprisingly never tried before, except chewing tobacco. It's interesting to try them after having spent four weeks using snus exclusively. It's a different smokeless tobacco experience, mostly with the upfront flavors, and God-knows-what additives that are added. Some of the dip feels stronger, I gotta watch out for the Copenhagen! Easy to get a larger nicotine tolerance with that kind of stuff. I don't want to use them too much in the long run, they certainly seem to have more possible health concerns than snus. Fortunately, I notice I still like the snus better after trying them. But they are so easily available, my curiosity was piqued.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread