TSA and the Ecig FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaKBRN

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Puerto Rico
Earlier today it was suggested that I make a FAQ about going through TSA checkpoints with a PV and after much deliberation, 30 seconds of thinking I am too lazy to do that, I have decided to write down a few things that I have noticed people worrying about.

First things first though, a little about me. I am an officer with TSA and work at the Orlando International Airport (MCO) and have been there for about a year and a half. I also worked for Virgin Atlantic Airways from 2001 till 2005 before I was laid off. I can answer most questions about going through security with your preferred method of vaping and/or your everyday items. If you have a question that is not covered in this FAQ feel free to ask me.

Can I bring my eliquid with me on the aircraft?
Yes you can with no problems as long as it is in a container that was commercially labelled at 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less or the container obviously could not hold more than that (I.E. the little bottles that come with Johnson Creek orders). Just please put it in a quart size clear plastic bag with your other liquids. If you do not have any you can ask someone when you get to the TSA checkpoint and they should be able to give you a ziplock bag.

Are there any problems with bringing my PV through TSA checkpoints?
None. They are not a prohibited item in any way shape or form. Though they do look rather ominous on the xray screen the most you will ever have to go through is to answer a couple of questions about what the device is as they go through your bag to see the item and/or run a test on the bag. If you want to completely avoid any interaction with the TSA officers I would suggest separating the battery from the atomizer and run it through the x-ray with your keys and other metal objects in your wallet. Keep in mind this does not hide it so they may stop the x-ray to take a look at it but it is not in a bag and therefore can just look in the container to see what it is.

What about my prodigy/GG/SD/etc?
Same as above. I think you may have less issue with those because the batteries would show up as batteries and not how the standard ecig shows on the x-ray but just like I said above if you want to avoid talking to an officer then separate the atomizer and run the whole thing separate from your bags.

I have a container of eliquid that is larger than 100ml what should I do with that?
Wrap it up tightly and very securely and put it in your checked bags. After seeing the bag room at MCO and how the equipment treats bags I would steer away from putting it in any case that relies on latches to close. The latches fail way more often than zippers do when they get hit by the "kickers". They are not called "kickers" because they gently nudge your bag, I have seen quite a few bags with latches get knocked and burst open spewing unmentionables all across the baggage area so please keep that in mind. That is also why you should never over stuff your suitcase.

what about my PCC? would that cause a problem?
Nope, none at all. It is nothing more than a battery box with some storage in it after all. I have not seen one on x-ray but I doubt it would look too bad.

What items are prohibited?
there is a list of items at TSA: Prohibited Items

Once again if you have any other questions feel free to ask me. I will add to this as I see more questions people have. These were just the questions that I came up with off the top of my head.

WOW thank you for the useful info.

Janusxvii

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Reet_AZ,

Were your Vivi Nova tanks empty or did they have liquid in them? I ask because I'll be flying out of Sky Harbor (PHX) to Bradley International (BDL) in Connecticut in a little under a month to spend Christmas with my family and I'd like to just carry my PV's in my pocket so I can use them during layovers. I would be carrying 2 XL Ego Twist batteries with clearomizers on both of them. The charger and a few 15mL bottles of liquid would be going in my checked bag. I'm flying United Airlines if that makes a difference.

KillTheNoise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2012
Richmond, VA
I've tried to find the answer in this post, but can't find it so here's my question.

I'll be flying out of Miami to Richmond or Dulles in March, I see that juice bottles are fine, but it wasn't specified as to plastic or glass bottles? Most of my juice bottles are glass (15 and 30ml)...does the glass put them in a different category or would I still be fine putting them into a baggy and loading everything into my carry on?
Also, I'll be bringing 3 standard sized pyrex tanks with me, would I need to put them into bags also if they had juice in them?

Thanks!

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I've tried to find the answer in this post, but can't find it so here's my question.

I'll be flying out of Miami to Richmond or Dulles in March, I see that juice bottles are fine, but it wasn't specified as to plastic or glass bottles? Most of my juice bottles are glass (15 and 30ml)...does the glass put them in a different category or would I still be fine putting them into a baggy and loading everything into my carry on?
Also, I'll be bringing 3 standard sized pyrex tanks with me, would I need to put them into bags also if they had juice in them?

Thanks!

Glass will "probably" be fine, but really, You're traveling. Do you really want to expose your ejuice to the possibility of "SMASH.. tinkle gurgle"...??

I sent my wife to Michigan 3 weeks ago. I had her bag all her stuff, batteries included. She took 4 bottles of juice, only 1 was labeled, and 2 tanks that were filled. All of this went through Security with out a problem, and it was all in her carry on.

The smaller glass bottles you have should be fine.. but are easily broken during traveling.

KillTheNoise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2012
Richmond, VA
Thanks for the quick reply, I was worried no one looks here!

I'm would rather use the glass because I don't have any empty plastic bottles, and if I were to buy them, they would be un-labeled (worries me because of no quantity AND would worry about it being an "unknown" substance).

Also, I'll be bringing two 1000mah eGos AND my new eVic. I was reading a couple other posts in here and some say bigger APVs shouldn't be carried in your carry on. I think I'd be safe just unscrewing the head and taking out the battery and bagging it all together, would you do the same? (Trying not to have any checked baggage, or whatever it's called when it's put into the storage of the plane.)

I've only flown once and it was a few years ago, and I only had a backpack. I'll have a suitcase for 4 days worth of stuff, so I may need a checked bag. What would you suggest for keeping everything ON you while riding? :confused:

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Thanks for the quick reply, I was worried no one looks here!

Also, I'll be bringing two 1000mah eGos AND my new eVic. I was reading a couple other posts in here and some say bigger APVs shouldn't be carried in your carry on. I think I'd be safe just unscrewing the head and taking out the battery and bagging it all together, would you do the same? (Trying not to have any checked baggage, or whatever it's called when it's put into the storage of the plane.)

I've only flown once and it was a few years ago, and I only had a backpack. I'll have a suitcase for 4 days worth of stuff, so I may need a checked bag. What would you suggest for keeping everything ON you while riding? :confused:

Wife had eGo's and an eGo-T Mod (takes a 16850) and just had them disconnected from tanks and cartos, in her carry-on... you don't need to breakdown your APV's any further than that, and should be fine in carry on.
Make sure your eGo's and APV are turned off, hate to for you go get where you're going just to fine they've discharged themselves.

Tankman77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Sac, Ca.
Earlier today it was suggested that I make a FAQ about going through TSA checkpoints with a PV and after much deliberation, 30 seconds of thinking I am too lazy to do that, I have decided to write down a few things that I have noticed people worrying about.

First things first though, a little about me. I am an officer with TSA and work at the Orlando International Airport (MCO) and have been there for about a year and a half. I also worked for Virgin Atlantic Airways from 2001 till 2005 before I was laid off. I can answer most questions about going through security with your preferred method of vaping and/or your everyday items. If you have a question that is not covered in this FAQ feel free to ask me.

Can I bring my eliquid with me on the aircraft?
Yes you can with no problems as long as it is in a container that was commercially labelled at 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less or the container obviously could not hold more than that (I.E. the little bottles that come with Johnson Creek orders). Just please put it in a quart size clear plastic bag with your other liquids. If you do not have any you can ask someone when you get to the TSA checkpoint and they should be able to give you a ziplock bag.

Are there any problems with bringing my PV through TSA checkpoints?
None. They are not a prohibited item in any way shape or form. Though they do look rather ominous on the xray screen the most you will ever have to go through is to answer a couple of questions about what the device is as they go through your bag to see the item and/or run a test on the bag. If you want to completely avoid any interaction with the TSA officers I would suggest separating the battery from the atomizer and run it through the x-ray with your keys and other metal objects in your wallet. Keep in mind this does not hide it so they may stop the x-ray to take a look at it but it is not in a bag and therefore can just look in the container to see what it is.

What about my prodigy/GG/SD/etc?
Same as above. I think you may have less issue with those because the batteries would show up as batteries and not how the standard ecig shows on the x-ray but just like I said above if you want to avoid talking to an officer then separate the atomizer and run the whole thing separate from your bags.

I have a container of eliquid that is larger than 100ml what should I do with that?
Wrap it up tightly and very securely and put it in your checked bags. After seeing the bag room at MCO and how the equipment treats bags I would steer away from putting it in any case that relies on latches to close. The latches fail way more often than zippers do when they get hit by the "kickers". They are not called "kickers" because they gently nudge your bag, I have seen quite a few bags with latches get knocked and burst open spewing unmentionables all across the baggage area so please keep that in mind. That is also why you should never over stuff your suitcase.

what about my PCC? would that cause a problem?
Nope, none at all. It is nothing more than a battery box with some storage in it after all. I have not seen one on x-ray but I doubt it would look too bad.

What items are prohibited?
there is a list of items at TSA: Prohibited Items

Once again if you have any other questions feel free to ask me. I will add to this as I see more questions people have. These were just the questions that I came up with off the top of my head.

Great post! Thanks for sharing.
All my travel questions wrapped up in a nice organized package. Good Job

w00st3r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
goodyear az
Woo flying into Mso tomorrow for the Orlando Highland Games from LAX. Bringing my ego twist and my silver bullet. Here's a new one I didn't read, I use my silver bullet (18650 battery) with an 18490 (smaller battery) and a kick (small electronic cap that sips atop the battery for variable wattage) think that little gem might raise any eyebrows? I have a little carry bag and I plan to separate things and organize very well. Maybe I'll just leave it out and in the travel bag. Hope to catchya around if you're still there.

LisaR

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2012
Martinez, CA
I'm going to be bringing about 20 cartos filled with liquid. Should I place these in the ziplock bag?

I would. Aside from the fact that they are liquid, they are likely to leak when the cabin air pressure changes. I think with a carto (with the polyfill), you can leave one on your pv, though. It may be filled with liquid, but it isn't "free" liquid.

VapeNQueen

Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
LA
I'll be flying for the very first time in March. I'm scared but more concerned with getting my ecig stuff through security. I'll be taking about 10 cartomizers, 2-5ml juice bottles with label on, a cig. type ecig with 2 batteries and i'm buying a Ego CE4 and plan on taking it too. I'm worried about getting the Ego through. I'll be flying from Louisiana into Houston and then to Portland. Can you all offer me some tips pleaseee. I haven't touched an analog since I started vaping "3 weeks". I'm also planning to visit a vape store near portland "any suggestions". thanks

Tober138

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
cHARLOTte, NC
I would. Aside from the fact that they are liquid, they are likely to leak when the cabin air pressure changes.

I have had cartos and cartridges leak while in flight due to changes in cabin pressure. I would suggest filling a couple so you have something before and after the flight, but keep the rest empty and fill them once you get to where you're staying. Or else you might end up with a ziploc bag full of juice.

MBear

Mar 31, 2013
Markham, ON, Canada
My liquids were taken out of my checked bag.
No note from TSA, no stopping me in the airport because they thought I was travelling with drugs or anything.

Just stolen.

The airline reimbursed me, but just a bit of anecdotal experience that there are plenty of unsavoury TSA agents & baggage handlers.

I'm new to vaping (that was my first trip), but I'm a million-mile plus flier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread