TSA and the Ecig FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Travelled Winnipeg to Vancouver (just got back). eGo-Ts in my eGo-T case and clearomizers and e-juice in my zip lock bag with all other small liquids - all in the security bin and no questions and away I went. Did not vape in the airports but stood outside on the fringe of the smoking areas and spent most of my time talking to airport staff and travellers out there smoking so little time for vaping.

GLBrocks

May 16, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the information, I am actually traveling tomorrow on a flight and want to take my e-cigs with me. My question is, how should I explain the device if the questions arise? Also I want to take my iTaste and Vamo as well as two 30ml bottles of juice as I use different juices in each device. Is this ok? Thanks again for explaining some things to me and I am glad I came across this thread, it helped me a lot to understand what I can and cannot take on a plane or through security. I just want to clarify what I should say if they stop me for bringing these through security?

Barto

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2011
Kapetown
Travelled Winnipeg to Vancouver (just got back). eGo-Ts in my eGo-T case and clearomizers and e-juice in my zip lock bag with all other small liquids - all in the security bin and no questions and away I went. Did not vape in the airports but stood outside on the fringe of the smoking areas and spent most of my time talking to airport staff and travellers out there smoking so little time for vaping.
glare.gif
I also have never had problems when going to Vancouver.

DocFox

Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sultan, WA, USA
I flew from SeaTac to San Francisco last month, and had no problems. I had googled TSA info before I left and was quite paranoid about it. So I didn't take all my models with me, just in case it got confiscated. On the departing flight, I put the battaries into a vape case and had my brochures with me. I put the tanks in the plastic baggy with my other liquids. No-one questioned it. So on the way home, I just put the battaries in my travel bag, and again, the tanks in my plastic bag. Again, no-one questioned it.

DocFox

Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sultan, WA, USA
I have had cartos and cartridges leak while in flight due to changes in cabin pressure. I would suggest filling a couple so you have something before and after the flight, but keep the rest empty and fill them once you get to where you're staying. Or else you might end up with a ziploc bag full of juice.

I heard this too before my last trip. So what I did was re-assembled my models once I got on the plane, and put them in my shirt pocket. When ascending and decending, I unscrewed the mouth pieces to un-seal it, so the pressure could normalize. Worked for me.

DocFox

Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sultan, WA, USA
Vaping in the bathrooms- I did not take the risk of just vaping openingly at either SFo or SEA, but I did vape in the bathrooms at both airports, just ghosting the vapor. I also Vaped in the bathroom on the plane. Same thing, I just ghhoswted the cloud. I also didn't take more time int he lavatory than would be expected, so as not to raise suspicions. I had no issues.

DocFox

Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sultan, WA, USA
How should i go about taking an evic on my carry on,should i remove the liquid in my clearo and take the battery out and head off?

I am not familiar with an eVic model, but on the eGo, I just unscrewed the clearo and put it in the clear quart size baggy with other liquids. Now, I don't usually carry other liquids on carry on, but I made sure to just as a distraction. Then I put the batteries in a carrying bag, and I made sure to also have the instruction booklet just in case. But it was not needed.

girlsdrivetoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2013
Truckin' across America
Ive not flown much and am leaving on a last minute flight to recover a semi truck for my company. Flying from Kansas City to Tampa tonight. I have my Provari with a PT2 in mypocket. Will security give me any trouble over this. Not taking a carry on bag, Im checking them both but will be stuck at the Tampa terminal for a while. Dont plan n vaping on the plane. Im flying Southwest.

cmknight

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2013
China
I did a ton of research here before my recent trip, so I figured I'd pay it forward a bit.

I just got back from two weeks overseas in Malaysia. On the way I had to go through TSA in Austin and Houston. Then I had to go through customs in Moscow, Russia and Singapore, Singapore...finally got to my destination of Penang Malaysia where I had to go through their customs. Many patdowns and many screenings and detectors and people looking through my stuff.

On the way home, went through customs again in Malaysia...then in China (HK), and when you go back to the US you get a very thorough search and patdown done. Finally went through customs again back in San Fran.

Not one single country asked me anything about the e-cig juice or the e-cig. Nobody even looked twice.

...oh, and I vaped in every airport mentioned and on every plane I took. Just not trying to be obvious or anything, and nobody complained. I don't think anybody even noticed.

I took:
Joye 510 with the mega battery
PCC
3 spare regular batts
two spare atomizers
three 10ml plastic droppers of juice (kept these in my clear pastic bag that I took out every time)
a package of 5 extra carts

I think part of the reason for the TSA's and customs in Asia allowing them through may be because they have been told by their higher-ups not to bother the foreigners about them (they don't want the foreigners creating a big ruckus over the matter, aka "International Incident"). As well, it may be that in some countries (like Hong Kong) where it is illegal to buy PV's and their accessories, it's not exactly illegal to own them.

Also, when I'm travelling here in China, I have my Vamo with me. When they ask me if it's an electronic cigarette, I tell them, "No, this is a Personal Vaporizer". They're usually ok with that.

DocTonyNYC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
San Juan, Puerto Rico (and NYC)
I wanted to say "thanks" for the FAQs. This is incredibly useful info. I travel quite frequently, but I'm flying tomorrow for the first time since I started vaping. I was pretty sure that I would be okay taking my stuff through security (I'm not checking a bag), but it was reassuring to read this.

I do have to say, though, it amazes me so many people seem to ask questions that are clearly answered in the very first post! I can guarantee that it would take less time to read that post than it would for another person to come along and answer questions that have already been answered. . .

I really hope I don't sound cranky. Instead, please take this as a friendly reminder to just look at the first post!

DanCullen

Jan 9, 2014
PA, USA
On a recient trip from Pittsburg to California (LAX and SanDeigo) I Vaped in the terminal - I got a few strange looks but no confrontation and no problems with security or airport personel. I did not vape on any of my flights as I thought it would be inconsiderate in close quarters of an aircraft cabin - even though I do not believe there is any health hazard from secondary vapor! In the airport I did not stand close to anyone so as to inconvience them.

Impulso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocklin, ca
Some of the airlines have updated rules in the books. Noise canceling headphone allowed at all times, iPads/phones on but on airplane mode etc.

they however do state clearly that e-cigs not allowed at all at anytime on the flight. I specifically saw this stated in southwest today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread