TSA and the Ecig FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
Do you think it will be ok to take a nicostick mod on the plane with me?
Or would it be best in main luggage? I don't want to loose it on the way out to my vaccation.

Thanks
Yes the Nicostick will be fine. just be open about what it is and allow any tests to be done that they request. That is of course only if they check it out.

So I have the VK, if I was to travel to Australia (Not Queensland where it is banned I heard) how would I go about security? I assume any American security check point would be OK but what about the Australian check points? I ask because I haven't been back home in 4 years and I plan on trying to go next year and I would LOVE to be able to have my PV with me :(
A question I cant answer... I have no idea about Australian rules, sorry.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
So I have the VK, if I was to travel to Australia (Not Queensland where it is banned I heard) how would I go about security? I assume any American security check point would be OK but what about the Australian check points? I ask because I haven't been back home in 4 years and I plan on trying to go next year and I would LOVE to be able to have my PV with me :(

I was in Sydney a few months ago and had no problems taking my JS and KB through security both in and out of the country.
But next year may be another matter.

Wow, thanks for posting this info. I'm so glad I decided to come looking for a thread about airlines/airport security. I fly for work and will be heading to FL soon and was worried about taking my new 510 along. Do you think it's more or less likely to encounter issues when using smaller airports? I mostly fly to/from ABE/PIE (small) and occasionally TPA. I usually never check bags anymore so I am ecstatic to hear I can stick it in carry-on. Though, I'm still scared I'll freak out if questioned (anxiety disorder!). Any additional advice? Thanks! :)

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
Wow, thanks for posting this info. I'm so glad I decided to come looking for a thread about airlines/airport security. I fly for work and will be heading to FL soon and was worried about taking my new 510 along. Do you think it's more or less likely to encounter issues when using smaller airports? I mostly fly to/from ABE/PIE (small) and occasionally TPA. I usually never check bags anymore so I am ecstatic to hear I can stick it in carry-on. Though, I'm still scared I'll freak out if questioned (anxiety disorder!). Any additional advice? Thanks! :)
Like Jim Davis said if neatly packed there are less worries of questioning. Keep in mind TSA are not investigators and you wont be pulled to some dark room for interrogation. You will just be asked what it is at the lane you are on.

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
Dear [the86d?],

Thank you for your e-mail regarding personal vaporizers. My apologies for the delay; I wanted to ensure I gave you accurate information.

I double-checked, and personal vaporizers are allowed through the Transportation Security Administration's Security checkpoint (and thus, allowed on your person), however, as you mentioned, the pv cannot be used onboard the aircraft.
I hope that this information is useful to you. Thanks again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

[NotDisclosedOnThis4um], Southwest Airlines

The file reference number for your e-mail is 1.......
-----------------------------------------------------

My question was "Are they allowed to be used in the terminal?".

I believe that the people that work this "e-mail answering service" should have at least graduated High School! Going to ask YET again... and reference the original reference number!

Last edited:

Data4

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
Tacoma, WA
13ways, you listed mods in your FAQ, but I'm a bit curious about the Chuck. It's a fairly heavy (in e-cig terms) battery mod, made of copper tubing with brass endcaps and a small plastic button on the side. Thinking from a TSA's assumed point of view, I'm coming up with wild ideas of what it could be interpreted as. Pipe bomb? Detonation device? I'm going to be flying to Georgia this Christmas, and I'd really like to show it to some of my smoking family. I flew down this past June with a 901 and RN4081 with no problems, but the Chuck is a little more conspicuous. I never check luggage, and just take a small backpack on board with me, so sticking it in a checked bag isn't an option, unfortunately.

Any thoughts on that, or tips on how I can avoid controversy with it? Thanks!

Last edited:

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
... Any thoughts on that, or tips on how I can avoid controversy with it? Thanks!

I think you best option would to be park as close to the terminal as possible and give yourself plenty of time to bring it back to the car and get back through security, in case they disallow it.

But you could always just show them when they ask... I should not look like a pipe bomb on an x-ray. A pipe bomb would have... well it shouldn't, anyway. It has batts, and is solid metal with no, maybe able to call it: "x-plodie stuff"? in it.

I bring a ton of stuff through TSA Security checkpoints, but I walk through it light (esmokes, keys, MP3 players with all cables, portable NES Emulator, & wallet due to me just dropping off and picking up the kid from and to his mother's visitation via plane... court ordered).

WILDJC

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
New York
13ways, you listed mods in your FAQ, but I'm a bit curious about the Chuck. It's a fairly heavy (in e-cig terms) battery mod, made of copper tubing with brass endcaps and a small plastic button on the side. Thinking from a TSA's assumed point of view, I'm coming up with wild ideas of what it could be interpreted as. Pipe bomb? Detonation device? I'm going to be flying to Georgia this Christmas, and I'd really like to show it to some of my smoking family. I flew down this past June with a 901 and RN4081 with no problems, but the Chuck is a little more conspicuous. I never check luggage, and just take a small backpack on board with me, so sticking it in a checked bag isn't an option, unfortunately.

Any thoughts on that, or tips on how I can avoid controversy with it? Thanks!

The Chuck might raise some eyebrows, but it's still permissible. I would suggest placing it separately in a black bowl. If they call a check on the item, just be truthful and tell them what it is. They might run an ETD test on it, but barring any alarms, you will be good to go.

Great Post ...

I'm a Maintenance Worker at Orlando International For A seperate company and may have seen the Op puffing away the other week.

Looked like a 901 from a distance , seen the blue LED. I was just around the corner puffing away on mine, still kind of keep it low profile since most that come across it don't know about the e cig in general.

Haven't tried taking it Airside yet though during my shift but it's taken a ride in the Truck when going through the exterior checkpoints.

I'll keep an eye out for ya and see if I spot ya anymore ... Can't hurt to have a vaping buddy now in then at work, Lmao.

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
I just went to tampa this week and had absolutly no troubles getting through TSA. I had my Prodigy and several atomizers and 510 batteries(along with 70ml of juice)all in my carry on....no questions asked. They did however ask me what was in my cigarette zipper bag I put in the tray,and asked if they could look inside.I had a 510 inside with an extra atomizer and battery and explained that it was a personel vaporizer....and their reply was "is that one of those e-cigarettes?" I took it out and showed them how it worked...and they told me to have a nice trip...LOL...All my panic was in vain!! I even stealth vaped throughout the flight without incident!! No more worries for me!!:)The Wiz!

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I just went to tampa this week and had absolutly no troubles getting through TSA. I had my Prodigy and several atomizers and 510 batteries(along with 70ml of juice)all in my carry on....no questions asked. They did however ask me what was in my cigarette zipper bag I put in the tray,and asked if they could look inside.I had a 510 inside with an extra atomizer and battery and explained that it was a personel vaporizer....and their reply was "is that one of those e-cigarettes?" I took it out and showed them how it worked...and they told me to have a nice trip...LOL...All my panic was in vain!! I even stealth vaped throughout the flight without incident!! No more worries for me!!:)The Wiz!
LOL! Ain't it great to be able to stealth vape!!!

Iambuza

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Haverhill, MA
Awesome info, I am going to visit family in England hopefully in the spring. I was talking to my grandfather about it since he is always busting my chops about smoking and the funny thing is he told me that not only had he heard about e-cigs but they sell them on the flights he takes to Ireland I think the airline is ryanair small commuter planes, they are disposable units. Can you imagine the money airlines would make if they offered e-cigs on all flights ???

jEsTer

Nov 3, 2009
So Cal U.S.A.
Well I am getting ready to fly to Colorado next week, so I am glad to know that PV's are not prohibited items. But I just got done looking through the TSA website for any info on them. What I was thinking, is if there is a document stating that they are not prohibited, then it would be a good idea to carry a copy of that with your PV... Does anyone now of a link to this info? I couldn't find it. Or is it because they are not specifically prohibited then by default allowed?

Anyway food for thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread