TSA and the Ecig FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

kklogan

Sep 15, 2009
Washington DC
It feels weird having a post of mine stickied. My posts on other boards I go to are typically useless things put in just for the humor of it. Even the board that I am a moderator of lol. It is cool to actually be a contributing part of this forum though. If any of you are going to be flying through MCO feel free to send me a PM and we could meet up for a quick vape. Also I added my AIM name on here so if you have a question that you need a quicker response to feel free to send it there as I only check this site about once or twice a day usually.

Yes this was very helpful. I'm flying to Orlando in the near future. Thanks for the info

carbine

Dec 27, 2009
Austin
I did a ton of research here before my recent trip, so I figured I'd pay it forward a bit.

I just got back from two weeks overseas in Malaysia. On the way I had to go through TSA in Austin and Houston. Then I had to go through customs in Moscow, Russia and Singapore, Singapore...finally got to my destination of Penang Malaysia where I had to go through their customs. Many patdowns and many screenings and detectors and people looking through my stuff.

On the way home, went through customs again in Malaysia...then in China (HK), and when you go back to the US you get a very thorough search and patdown done. Finally went through customs again back in San Fran.

Not one single country asked me anything about the e-cig juice or the e-cig. Nobody even looked twice.

...oh, and I vaped in every airport mentioned and on every plane I took. Just not trying to be obvious or anything, and nobody complained. I don't think anybody even noticed.

I took:
Joye 510 with the mega battery
PCC
3 spare regular batts
two spare atomizers
three 10ml plastic droppers of juice (kept these in my clear pastic bag that I took out every time)
a package of 5 extra carts

MWP

Dec 23, 2009
Colorado
FYI.. I just flew halfway around the world without any problems. I went through security in Denver, Seattle, Tokyo, Bangkok, Calcutta, Delhi, Kathmandu, as well as two smaller regional airports in Thailand. I went through security a couple times in several places since you have extra screening when you switch concourses internationally. I took three 510s, a PCC and a new Janty eGo. I put the ecigs in the case I carry my battery cables, travel clock, etc. No one looked twice. I vaped in bathrooms at the airports, as well as in the airplane with no difficulties. I'm not brazen enough to do it publicly - I don't want the hassle. It does not set off the detectors in airplane bathrooms, but I blew the vapor towards the floor. Most of my meetings were in nonsmoking locations with nonsmokers. However, the 510 slips into a coat pocket nicely - and there were a few bathroom breaks to vape.

It is interesting that no one in the airports even questioned them through the xray machines. I had three bag searches - the toughest being the flight headed back to the US. They looked in the case I carried the adapters, etc., and didn't even hesitate. I did not separate the carts or atomizers.

The only place I got questioned was going into the Taj Mahal. They did a bag search and the guard questioned me about it. I tried to explain it was a nicotine inhaler to quit smoking, but he did not get it and asked me to take it apart. Since it was apart, I couldn't show him. He didn't understand what I was saying and kept asking if it was wireless.. finally I said.. "yes, wireless" and he waved me through. Go figure.

I took the liquid in small 5ml bottles that I had ordered as samples. They have a label on them, but I don't even think that is necessary. Many people put shampoos, etc., in plastic containers without labels. I put the liquids in the one quart bag with my toothpaste, hand cleanser, etc., and again, no questions at all.

I feel very comfortable traveling with the ecig stuff. I have flown a few times in the States as well, without issue. After I go through security, I can put them in my shirt or jacket pocket and use them in restrooms without an issue. I even went in to a smokers lounge once to use them. Got a few curious stares, and a heavy tobacco smell on my clothes. Gosh, I hate that smell on my clothes, so I didn't do that again. I haven't smoked since I started vaping and I can go longer before the "desire" hits, so this has been a good thing.

It's great in hotel rooms, as well. No more hassle of going outside. I like this option to smoking,don't you?

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
FYI.. I just flew halfway around the world without any problems. I went through security in Denver, Seattle, Tokyo, Bangkok, Calcutta, Delhi, Kathmandu, as well as two smaller regional airports in Thailand. I went through security a couple times in several places since you have extra screening when you switch concourses internationally. I took three 510s, a PCC and a new Janty eGo. I put the ecigs in the case I carry my battery cables, travel clock, etc. No one looked twice. I vaped in bathrooms at the airports, as well as in the airplane with no difficulties. I'm not brazen enough to do it publicly - I don't want the hassle. It does not set off the detectors in airplane bathrooms, but I blew the vapor towards the floor. Most of my meetings were in nonsmoking locations with nonsmokers. However, the 510 slips into a coat pocket nicely - and there were a few bathroom breaks to vape.

It is interesting that no one in the airports even questioned them through the xray machines. I had three bag searches - the toughest being the flight headed back to the US. They looked in the case I carried the adapters, etc., and didn't even hesitate. I did not separate the carts or atomizers.

The only place I got questioned was going into the Taj Mahal. They did a bag search and the guard questioned me about it. I tried to explain it was a nicotine inhaler to quit smoking, but he did not get it and asked me to take it apart. Since it was apart, I couldn't show him. He didn't understand what I was saying and kept asking if it was wireless.. finally I said.. "yes, wireless" and he waved me through. Go figure.

I took the liquid in small 5ml bottles that I had ordered as samples. They have a label on them, but I don't even think that is necessary. Many people put shampoos, etc., in plastic containers without labels. I put the liquids in the one quart bag with my toothpaste, hand cleanser, etc., and again, no questions at all.

I feel very comfortable traveling with the ecig stuff. I have flown a few times in the States as well, without issue. After I go through security, I can put them in my shirt or jacket pocket and use them in restrooms without an issue. I even went in to a smokers lounge once to use them. Got a few curious stares, and a heavy tobacco smell on my clothes. Gosh, I hate that smell on my clothes, so I didn't do that again. I haven't smoked since I started vaping and I can go longer before the "desire" hits, so this has been a good thing.

It's great in hotel rooms, as well. No more hassle of going outside. I like this option to smoking,don't you?

Yep. no problems, good to hear your report. I'll be going to Barcelona in 3 weeks so will post a report.

Eric in AK

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Alaska
If you haven't seen the TSA Blog, you can see a comment from the folks at Secure Flight about taking e-cigs on planes. To save you some scrolling, here's the Q and A (this is from June 2009, but I've found nothing to contradict it)[I added the bold to highlight the pertinent part]:

"Dear TSA Blog Team. Can you please comment on e-cigarettes? I recently purchased an "electronic cigarette" and nobody will give me a straight clear answer.

They is no "burning" or anything related to an actual cigarette, it's basically a nicotine inhaler.

How can we ensure TSA security allows me to safely transport the item, and if possible how to approach using such a device on the plane?

Confused flyer - ck

TSA does not care about your electronic cigarettes. People can bring real cigarettes and real lighters. So why wouldnt someone be able to bring a fake cigarette through. If they were in you carry on when you came through a checkpoint no one would even think anything of it."

Last edited:

Cocky0

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2010
Hampton, SC
I'm flying to London next week, with a connection each way through Chicago, so I'll be able to report on any hassles at O'Hare or Heathrow....(or in the plane if I sneak some vaping in the bathroom, of course). I wonder if they'll let me charge my batteries on the plane....

Why not? Just don't mention that it's an e-cig battery.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I'm flying to London next week, with a connection each way through Chicago, so I'll be able to report on any hassles at O'Hare or Heathrow....(or in the plane if I sneak some vaping in the bathroom, of course). I wonder if they'll let me charge my batteries on the plane....

Just look at my Avatar, take a USB battery pack and a PT on board.

timmah34233

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
Florida
I just went to tampa this week and had absolutly no troubles getting through TSA... I had a 510 inside with an extra atomizer and battery and explained that it was a personel vaporizer....and their reply was "is that one of those e-cigarettes?" I took it out and showed them how it worked...and they told me to have a nice trip...LOL...All my panic was in vain!! I even stealth vaped throughout the flight without incident!! No more worries for me!!:)The Wiz!

Sweet! Nice: "stealth vaped..." - very nice.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread